Most Over-rated/Under-rated and the most Disappointing/Surprisingly good Games? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
how is that underrated? most people know about it and it sold a shitload of copies worldwide, and it's even on Xbox live arcade, if im not mistaken.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
i dunno maybe its just me, but it seems like hardly anyone knows about this game here.

but yea thats true, it does kinda have a cult following overseas.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It went Platinum, too. If I'm not mistaken, it's also out for Xbox 360 Live Arcade now.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i played the DS version recently and didn't see what was so good about it. i found it boring and very limited in terms of what you can do.

lengy

HSC
There hasn't been any interesting games for a while now. At least Need For Speed: Carbon kept me mildly amused for a bit. I'm hoping Spore or GTA IV are good because I'm bored out of my mind when it comes to games.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
lengy said:
There hasn't been any interesting games for a while now. At least Need For Speed: Carbon kept me mildly amused for a bit. I'm hoping Spore or GTA IV are good because I'm bored out of my mind when it comes to games.
You know those people who drink cask wine and think their fucking posh? That person is to wine tasters, as you are to gamers. Carbon was just an arcade game that dropped names of popular cars.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
stazi said:
NFS: carbon is still mildly enjoyable though
Yes, but to say it's the only game in a while to make an impression is a bit odd.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
stazi said:
i played the DS version recently and didn't see what was so good about it. i found it boring and very limited in terms of what you can do.
ah yea, personally i reckon latest DS castlevania games are alrite but they don't really compare to the symphony of the night even tho it is 10 yrs old! and the fact that they do try to copy the gameplay and all.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
underrated: starfleet command III. Yes i know most startrek games are shit. This was different. It was just a really well constructed game and was really fun.

overrated: kingdom hearts II. Honerable mention to Halo and sequel, EVE online and lastly Oblivion. Yes thats right i didnt like oblivion. It looked pretty but i just didnt find the gameplay all that fun, sue me.

dissapointing: homeworld II. Serously the original was great, the sequel seemed to have everything the original had but with better graphics, only... it just wasnt fun. I expected alot and got hardly anything out of it.

surprisingly good: Minerva metastasis. Its a third party "mod" for halflife 2 which sort of continues on in the same world, but with a different character. very deep, well structured story plus its free.

I supposed i should also give Dystopia a plug. Another free mod, takes a while to get into but is very very fun. Sort of like capture the flag, but objective based set in the future, plus you can like jack into the cyberspace which looks like the movie Tron but on drugs.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
taco man said:
ah yea, personally i reckon latest DS castlevania games are alrite but they don't really compare to the symphony of the night even tho it is 10 yrs old! and the fact that they do try to copy the gameplay and all.
...that's why its a sequel. sequels copy the gameplay of their predecessors. i just don't like that sort of gameplay - it's too ancient and simple for my tastes.

lengy

HSC
I'm not saying I'm posh I'm saying that the games I've tried since Carbon have been forgettable or I'm slowly getting bored of gaming.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
dissapointing: homeworld II. Serously the original was great, the sequel seemed to have everything the original had but with better graphics, only... it just wasnt fun. I expected alot and got hardly anything out of it.
I thought homeworld II was okay even compared to the original. Nothing much changed really.. Cataclysm was probably a better game though.

Hero Of Time

HSC
N/A
1)The most over-rated game?
(i.e. not necessarily bad, but nowhere near as good as what it was made out to be by everyone)

Soul Calibur II was pretty good, but not like it was made out to be. The lack of any form of adventure, except for fighting in new locations wasn't an appealing part of the game. Also, The Elder Scrolls was never too great for me.

2)The most under-rated game?
(i.e. the game that you hardly heard about that ended up being really good).

Tales Of Symphonia is definitely up there for being under-rated. Star Fox 64, and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron were better than what they were claimed to be.

3)The most disappointing game?
(i.e. you personally expected it to be Class A, but instead you thought it was tosh)

Nothing really, although I wasn't expecting Enter The Matrix to be an A Class game, it was pretty dull. Yet, it was supposedly one of the most expensive games ever made...

4)The most surprisingly good game?
(i.e. you personally didn't expect much, but it ended up being a really good game).

I don't really buy or play any games unless I'm sure it will be good. Although, for Chrono Trigger I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It has to be one of the greatest games of all time, and the greatest on the SNES from what I've played so far.
Though, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door has to be the most suprising game I have played. The storyline was immersive, the characters were vibrant and appealing, and the gameplay was so addictive.

Hero Of Time

HSC
N/A
lengy said:
I'm not saying I'm posh I'm saying that the games I've tried since Carbon have been forgettable or I'm slowly getting bored of gaming.
I agree video games aren't as a majority, as good as they used to be.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Hero Of Time said:
I agree video games aren't as a majority, as good as they used to be.
...how do you conclude this? nostalgia doesn't equal a better game. Games have better physics, better graphics, at times better storylines, and all of these factors amount to better gameplay. It's easy to think back and go "oh yeah, that game made a huge impact on me" as you were young and more impressionable at that time, but ultimately, games have improved a shitload since pacman. In fact, Pacman is a horrible game.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Hahah it's got very little to offer in terms of gameplay, its repetitive, its dull... yet people who are after nostalgic elements in gaming love it. Hell, they spend money to buy it for xbox live arcade.

Hero Of Time

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
...how do you conclude this? nostalgia doesn't equal a better game. Games have better physics, better graphics, at times better storylines, and all of these factors amount to better gameplay. It's easy to think back and go "oh yeah, that game made a huge impact on me" as you were young and more impressionable at that time, but ultimately, games have improved a shitload since pacman. In fact, Pacman is a horrible game.
That is your opinion. Graphics and better physics don't mean a better game at all, and they usually have a predictable and boring as plot. Anyway, my all time favourite game was released four years ago, hardly when I was young and all so impressionable. Games now just target mass audiences due to the realised and expansive audience of videogames today compared to years ago, when they weren't as popular, and audience specific. I never liked Pac-Man really either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)