• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Most under rated movie (1 Viewer)

spiny norman

HSC
On a more positive note, what do you guys think are the most under rated movies ever?

I don't think Little Big Man gets the love it deserves.

walrusbear

HSC
off the top of my head

king of comedy
get carter

thing about underrated movies is that a select few then overrate them

mrincredible

Superhero In Training
HSC
the film adaptation of the musical RENT... i know it doesnt come out in Oz till March but it got shit reviews and didnt get much box office money in America, but i thought it was a brilliant film

nwatts

HSC
I think Collateral cops a lot of shit that it doesn't deserve. Mann is a very fine director, and did a top-notch job with this film which seems to suffer from undeserving comparisons to his earlier works. (Not that i'm a Heat fan either, people simply seem to instantly compare the two and cast Collateral aside).

I can think of a stack of films that have audiences entirely polarised, like The Thin Red Line and Lost in Translation, but I can't think of more criminally underrated films.. hrm...

iron yuppie

HSC
I can think of a few

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Death to Smoochy
Run Lola Run
Being John Malkovich

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
pearl harbour. might not be original or historically accurate but i really enjoyed it when i first watched it. another thing i realised is that most of the movies that i like get crap ratings.

icecreamdisco

HSC
SashatheMan said:
sucks.

iron yuppie said:
Run Lola Run
Being John Malkovich
these are rated pretty highly. though i barely ever hear anyone talk about run lola run anymore, even though it was huge when it came out.

i can think of a million films that don't get their dues; my favorite film of all time is o lucky man!, which is pretty underseen and a lot of people who have seen it merely regard it as a dated counter-culture piece.

lost highway is damn underrated too.

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
pearl harbour. might not be original or historically accurate but i really enjoyed it when i first watched it. another thing i realised is that most of the movies that i like get crap ratings.
lol[comment]asdsdfsdfsdfdsfsd[/comment]

nwatts

HSC
SashatheMan said:
i guess i am bias to drug type of movies, because i find them more interesting
There are drug movies, like Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream, and then there are shit drug movies, like Blow. Not even Depp and Liotta could save it from tedium and bland normality.

walrusbear

HSC
funnily enough, requiem belongs firmly in the overrated category

shimmy&shine

HSC
i recently watched "the shawshank redemption" and i was mesmerised, and have seen it three times more since. i got the dvd for christmas, initially thinking it'll be average, but it is my second favourite after "Raise Your Voice" (yes- with hilary duff- go watch it before you hold any bad opinions, lol)

supposedly, "shawshank" was a box office failure, but was very successful on video. Go watch it. that is my all time favourite underrated movie.

walrusbear

HSC
shawshank is quite the opposite
astonishingly overrated

shimmy&shine

HSC
"shawshank" is anything but overrated! great acting, great storyline, great directing - and obviously a lot of people would agree considering it got nominated for seven academy awards...

so watch it again, i wouldn't mind.

but, then again, you and i have completly opposite tastes. i woudn't even bother watching 'get carter'. however i really love watching comedians at Comedy Festivals.

i love tim robbins!

shimmy&shine

HSC
to absolution*:

your right, i was mistaken, shawshank is not underrated. but i was merely pointing out that when it first was released it was hated and rejected overall.

lol- i must be a bit dillusional for considering it 'underrated'. apologies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)