Motivation/ success story for 2013/14 hscers (1 Viewer)

freeeeee

HSC
Remember guys, it does take a lot of focus to do what zb123 pulled off (excellent job btw), not everyone can just buckle down after dissapointment and grind past papers.
BUT if you want to be successful sooner or later you need to just hate your life for awhile and put in the hard work and commitment. GL future HSCers.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
BUT if you want to be successful sooner or later you need to just hate your life for awhile and put in the hard work and commitment. GL future HSCers.
I disagree. IMO, the best way to be successful is to make yourself enjoy the things that take hard work. A large part of this is choosing subjects that you enjoy. Also, if you ensure that you understand the basic principles underlying your subjects, you only have to do a minimal amount of study. For example, in English, instead of memorising quotes and techniques and regurgitating them in an attempt to please the marker, find a thesis about your text that you are passionate about, then adapt it to the required QTM structure. I guarantee you'll perform better this way. If you truly grasp what it means to write a good essay, you'll find that writing practice essays becomes a waste of time. Same with maths -- if you understand how the maths works, the only reason you should be doing past papers is to train accuracy and time management.

Also, there's no need to put the rest of your life on hold. Your mark is just some shitty number given to you by the UAC -- you can accomplish things in year 12 that will count far more than your ATAR for your future. Most of the pressure surrounding the HSC is manufactured by the school (who want you to do well so they get more applicants) and media, which then carries on to parents, which results in more applicants, etc. Ultimately it doesn't matter one bit. This might be a bit too idealistic, but a good ATAR should be a result of your love of learning, not of your attempt to get a good ATAR.

Bobbo1

HSC
Congrats mate, all the hard work must have paid off :).

On a similar note my Advanced English rank in year 11 --> around 120/200. After a year of hard-work, READING all my texts, spending hours and hours analysing everything got my rank to 3/200 by the end of year 12 and a 94 HSC mark. I think the HSC is mostly about the will-power and dedication rather than your natural talent so everyone and anyone can succeed if they set their mind to it.

P.S: if your English teacher doesn't dread your face and absolutely hates by the end of year 12 you haven't done your job :D

mac1996

HSC
woohooo, what an achievement!
congrats and i wish u all the best for the future:)

such_such

HSC
Wow... usually when I read stories that are meant to inspire, I don't really feel anything much.

But this one was special and very uplifting.

Congrats OP :))

skyscraper

Goin Up
HSC
For me, I didnt need a 90+ atar as some people here did, but I was lazy often and couldnt be asses, my school marks reflected that. Come HSC though, DO NOT GIVE UP. Its NOT too late to change things around~! For the hsc exams, I pulled the broom out of my arse and got down to some serious study and work. My marks were much better, I got the atar I needed, and Im currently over the moon as I got my first preference offer.

Its never too late to change things up guys, you can always make something good out of the hsc.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty much:
*Start of Yr 12 my careers advisor told me with my complacent attitude I wouldn't get an 88, and I couldn't handle my ext subjects.
*Everyone told me I went away too much and did too much stuff and that it would really hurt my HSC.

So was away the first few days of Yr 12 from being overseas for 3 weeks. I went away two weeks in the summer holidays too. I went away 3 weeks in June/July right prior to trials. I'd also been away a bit for public speaking/debating and even once for a ballet exam.
Along the way, there's always the points of the HSC that seem really tough;

*Trials time was tough as it was also MW time and I happened to get quite sick, and that felt like a very hard time due to the illness. But I worked through it and my trials went quite well to secure good ranks and my MW got in and was successful.
*During the year, I had a bit of stress due to very ill relatives. During my actual HSC, I was told one of these relatives wouldn't make it. It was a tough time to push through that final study as I was pretty burn out with study by then and generally distracted by running the house and that, while my family dealt with all the stress.

All through the HSC, I'd set goals for the assessment tasks to lead to my final goals for ATAR and uni. ANd just kept at it, despite whatever external distraction there was or doubt about it.

So anyway, end of HSC, I was offered course, college and scholarship at both my number 1 UAC and VTAC preference. I am happy to say that I proved the careers advisor exceedingly wrong by getting a score almost 10 over what I reportedly could not get lol.

Trust in yourself, know what you've gotta do and the HSC is just an objective thing.

mac1996

HSC
Pretty much:
*Start of Yr 12 my careers advisor told me with my complacent attitude I wouldn't get an 88, and I couldn't handle my ext subjects.
*Everyone told me I went away too much and did too much stuff and that it would really hurt my HSC.

So was away the first few days of Yr 12 from being overseas for 3 weeks. I went away two weeks in the summer holidays too. I went away 3 weeks in June/July right prior to trials. I'd also been away a bit for public speaking/debating and even once for a ballet exam.
Along the way, there's always the points of the HSC that seem really tough;

*Trials time was tough as it was also MW time and I happened to get quite sick, and that felt like a very hard time due to the illness. But I worked through it and my trials went quite well to secure good ranks and my MW got in and was successful.
*During the year, I had a bit of stress due to very ill relatives. During my actual HSC, I was told one of these relatives wouldn't make it. It was a tough time to push through that final study as I was pretty burn out with study by then and generally distracted by running the house and that, while my family dealt with all the stress.

All through the HSC, I'd set goals for the assessment tasks to lead to my final goals for ATAR and uni. ANd just kept at it, despite whatever external distraction there was or doubt about it.

So anyway, end of HSC, I was offered course, college and scholarship at both my number 1 UAC and VTAC preference. I am happy to say that I proved the careers advisor exceedingly wrong by getting a score almost 10 over what I reportedly could not get lol.

Trust in yourself, know what you've gotta do and the HSC is just an objective thing.
wow, good on u!
what does MW stand for? modern warfare?

zb123

HSC
hahah I don't think MW stands for modern warfare! In context of the statement I would say mid-winter?? But 2013ers stay strong, and also realise that everyone is in the same boat as you. Whether you are striving for 99.95 or a 90, everyone will be stressed, and you just have to hang on in there. This site can really help, when not used excessively. It cna be used as a positive form of procrastination, or to reduce stress immensely.

j12onuzim

HSC
Its been a while since the last post on this forum but- congrats anyways.
I was just wondering, I am stuck in a similar situation here- failing year 11 in every single way possible.
Are there any tips on how you studied/what you did?
Also, did you do tutoring or did you learn it yourself?

Lul

HSC
A wise man once said,

"Haters gonna Hate."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)