• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Motivation? (4 Viewers)

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Enjoy the good ol' days of not having to stress out on too much.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
I swear it's better to just live your lives on. Adult life sometimes gets so depressing especially if you're in a career that's hard. I do research with a lecturer in Australia, I just know too many people thought that they will be contributing to science and thus went to do a PhD but realise how meaningless their work brings to the world. Live your life. Be the year 10 girl. Think and research about your options hard. Enjoy your life. Don't end up having to eat Prozac to live through a miserable life.

iloveeggs

HSC
so ur school is selective but bumps students to standard?
mine doesnt bump us to standard but they have criteria you have to meet to do extensions and sciences otherwise you just can't do it (which in a top 50 selective school is almost like doing standard subjects bc you're locked out of subjects that scale well which everyone wants to do)

but im assuming the motivation to drop ppl to standard is the same: it gets rid of the poorly performing kids from the grade and allows the cohort for the better scaling subjects to not be held back by them and maximising the band 6s as well as leaving the kids that did badly to get band 6s in "easier" subjects

some schools are forced to limit the number of classes because they dont have enough teachers/resources to allow everyone to access the subject too

iloveeggs

HSC
Yeah I thought selective schools only do adv for Eng ?? I
yeah most fully selectives do the absolute most to make sure they dont offer standard, in mine you have to access it through distance education if you want to do them and you have to jump through a billion hoops to convince the school to let you drop advanced in the first place.

but some some dont care, it does depends on if your schools stupid and has weird tactics to maximise band 6s

iloveeggs

HSC
Ive been rlly lazy lately n bored, no motivation whatsoever and idk what to do
everyone is always like to me: ‘what r ur goals? Focus on those’ BUT I DONT HAVE GOALS THATS THE THING
is there something i rlly want? No
do i want to be first? It’ll be nice but eh
what if u fail? I probably wont
what if u get rlly bad grades? It’s ok im still in yr 10

SEE??? I HAVE A PROBLEM I DONT HAVE ANYTHING ‘IMPORTANT’ FOR ME TO SET A GOAL FOR
idk what to do or how to solve this problem bc ik it will just get worse n worse as i enter senior yr

ive been told to ‘just start studying’ but every time i do i either get rlly bored mid way or just be like ‘eh ik these’ n move on idk what to do

motivational videos dont work, seeing someone more successful than me doesnt work bc i generally dont care if someone is better than me like eh, the thought that ill probably end up not going uni also doesnt scare me be i can either go to tafe n work from there (even tho my parents r uni doctors i dont see it as embarrassing tbh) to go uni or just go to unis overseas

u can tell me the most motivational thing ever n ill still not care (‘what if u die without accomplishing anything?’ ‘Well ik that i have at least died happy’)
n what annoys me the most is bc i havent always been like this, i came first on roughly every single subject at my old skl for 3 consecutive yrs, in primary i was always top 3 in the entire year group from yr 1 up to yr 6

i think its because i moved skls? But i moved to selective that should motivate me more!

idk i have a serious problem n i need help to fix it bc i refuse to continue living like this (n i tried working on myself but it was hopeless)
omg i hope this isn't a result of me trying to motivate you too hard for y11 and 12. so you dont need to care this much for y10, just get through y10 and as long as you make it into the subjects you need to do for y11 you are totally fine.

if you know you need to get into a certain subject for y11, and you want to, there's your goal.

in terms of motivation i can't say much bc i dont know you, it could be things like adhd or it could just be that you can't be asked to care. im not very good at motivating ppl but what ill say is that if there are no other underlying issues, the motivation will kick in if you are clear that "hey i need to do this subject for y11, i need to do well now" and then you think abt the consequences of not getting them (picking good subjects for y11 is important bc you can't switch after a certain point without having to struggle and you'll bc stuck doing subjects you might not have wanted to do for 2 years) and the benefits of getting into that subject

Last edited:

axe

HSC
everyone is always like to me: ‘what r ur goals? Focus on those’ BUT I DONT HAVE GOALS THATS THE THING

SEE??? I HAVE A PROBLEM I DONT HAVE ANYTHING ‘IMPORTANT’ FOR ME TO SET A GOAL FOR
idk what to do or how to solve this problem bc ik it will just get worse n worse as i enter senior yr

ive been told to ‘just start studying’ but every time i do i either get rlly bored mid way or just be like ‘eh ik these’ n move on idk what to do

motivational videos dont work, seeing someone more successful than me doesnt work bc i generally dont care if someone is better than me like eh, the thought that ill probably end up not going uni also doesnt scare me be i can either go to tafe n work from there (even tho my parents r uni doctors i dont see it as embarrassing tbh) to go uni or just go to unis overseas

u can tell me the most motivational thing ever n ill still not care (‘what if u die without accomplishing anything?’ ‘Well ik that i have at least died happy’)
n what annoys me the most is bc i havent always been like this, i came first on roughly every single subject at my old skl for 3 consecutive yrs, in primary i was always top 3 in the entire year group from yr 1 up to yr 6

i think its because i moved skls? But i moved to selective that should motivate me more!

idk i have a serious problem n i need help to fix it bc i refuse to continue living like this (n i tried working on myself but it was hopeless)
skl skl skl!!!! skl!!! skl!!!
why is this even a problem?? you dont need motivation just do the bare minimum if that gets you your degree really not that hard to understand 🤦

jane1820

HSC
omg i hope this isn't a result of me trying to motivate you too hard for y11 and 12. so you dont need to care this much for y10, just get through y10 and as long as you make it into the subjects you need to do for y11 you are totally fine.

if you know you need to get into a certain subject for y11, and you want to, there's your goal.

in terms of motivation i can't say much bc i dont know you, it could be things like adhd or it could just be that you can't be asked to care. im not very good at motivating ppl but what ill say is that if there are no other underlying issues, the motivation will kick in if you are clear that "hey i need to do this subject for y11, i need to do well now" and then you think abt the consequences of not getting them (picking good subjects for y11 is important bc you can't switch after a certain point without having to struggle and you'll bc stuck doing subjects you might not have wanted to do for 2 years) and the benefits of getting into that subject
No dont worry (it isnt u lol) its bc i have skl work n yearlies coming up n i cant be bothered doing them 😭

but yh i rlly need to get locked in (fingers crossed i start soon)

Shavi Masee

HSC

we fr in the same boat.
Should we like study together? maybe that would help..i'll dm you abt it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)