• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
for those doing acst101, have you done the quiz yet? I know its different for everyone but was the practice deceptive in comparison to the actual or nah? I havent bought a textbook for it yet and the practice quiz was easy without one.
I did both a few days ago, both pretty easy.

mrstripedshades

HSC
I did both a few days ago, both pretty easy.
ty, sounds reassuring. Will prolly attempt it when I feel comfortable in the next day or so. How much time did you think it took you?

also does anyone know what date you can start making a timetable for next semester? I couldnt find it in academic dates, just wanna mark it down so I get a better/good timetable. rn mines pretty good in terms of how many days and hours I go but dont really like having 3 tutorials on one day, and just going on 2 other days for 1 thing.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
ty, sounds reassuring. Will prolly attempt it when I feel comfortable in the next day or so. How much time did you think it took you?

also does anyone know what date you can start making a timetable for next semester? I couldnt find it in academic dates, just wanna mark it down so I get a better/good timetable. rn mines pretty good in terms of how many days and hours I go but dont really like having 3 tutorials on one day, and just going on 2 other days for 1 thing.
You can already start. I've enrolled my units for next sem and just did dates quickly.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I have a pdf version of a slightly different version of the Finance 1A textbook, but most of the pages have the last two or one lines of the paragraph cut off and the sides cut off so I just gave in and bought it.

It's probably outdated as it calls the RBA the Federal Reserve Board - Fed.

By the way, where are all the required readings usually listed? BBA102 doesn't seem to have any, and the only required things I seem to find is homework. Do they not set chapters weekly? It's more like a self-study kind of thing right? (read chapters relevant to content before lecture of your own accord)

Last edited:

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep you can enrol in units and select your timetable now.

It will be disabled some time later in the semester, but will be reactivated before S2 starts.

We normally get an email altering of enrollment opening and closing.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
How is everyone finding ACST101 so far?

The lectures seem to make the material look much harder than what is looked at in tutorials and PAL sessions.

I had Brian Chu and he didn't really go through a lot of the lecture, but rather a lot of practise questions. So he didn't really discuss the content at all.

mrstripedshades

HSC

The lectures seem to make the material look much harder than what is looked at in tutorials and PAL sessions.

I had Brian Chu and he didn't really go through a lot of the lecture, but rather a lot of practise questions. So he didn't really discuss the content at all.
havent really had a proper tute so far, my lectures the one which gets recorded and I Think its ok. I feel like terminology gets mixed up a bit, if not in my head and some of the content feels really vague and unsatisfying but thats to be expected.

also never been to a PAL, do you go to a lot? How helpful do they seem?

The quiz was easy, but its only the first one. Also I felt like a question I got in the quiz I had I never even saw as part of the content in the lecture, and hell I cant even remember it from the textbook chapter 2. It wasnt difficult/was easy to research but just what I thought.

To those that had their STAT150 tutorial already, whats the 10% tutorial component. According to Petra in a post on the forum she said that homework isnt handed in and marked...

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
havent really had a proper tute so far, my lectures the one which gets recorded and I Think its ok. I feel like terminology gets mixed up a bit, if not in my head and some of the content feels really vague and unsatisfying but thats to be expected.

also never been to a PAL, do you go to a lot? How helpful do they seem?

The quiz was easy, but its only the first one. Also I felt like a question I got in the quiz I had I never even saw as part of the content in the lecture, and hell I cant even remember it from the textbook chapter 2. It wasnt difficult/was easy to research but just what I thought.

To those that had their STAT150 tutorial already, whats the 10% tutorial component. According to Petra in a post on the forum she said that homework isnt handed in and marked...
Do you have any idea where this comes from?

(1 + i) = (1+r) (1+f), where f is the rate of inflation. I know its related to the future value factor. Haven't done the quizzes yet.

My lectures end up running into a tangent.

PAL's are nice. I went to a ECON111 and ACST101, They aren't in depth but revise simple concepts. They also provide some practice material themselves to students. If you have an hour to kill, go to one and try it out.

They are also nice to meet other people. In my first one they did icebreakers.

Think small, <10 people tutorials with younger teachers.

Last edited:

mrstripedshades

HSC

(1 + i) = (1+r) (1+f), where f is the rate of inflation. I know its related to the future value factor. Haven't done the quizzes yet.

PAL's are nice. I went to a ECON111 and ACST101, They aren't in depth but revise simple concepts. They also provide some practice material themselves to students. If you have an hour to kill, go to one and try it out.

I haven't seen that equation anywhere but I think ts just the precise Fischer equation rearranged, if f=inflation.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Just got an email regarding power outages on campus.

Lotus Theatre, 27 Wally's Walk
Macquarie Theatre, 21 Wally's Walk
MUSE, 18 Wally's Walk
Lincoln Building, 16 Wally's Walk
Campus Hub, 1 Central Courtyard

Currently without power and are closed.

An update is expected at 12pm

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

*Students who have previously done the subject. Would recommend PAL for accounting especially!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Power is restored! Final checks are happening and everything should be up and running shortly.

Also

GO TO PAL! Very helpful

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
All safety inspections are complete. Some automatic doors are not operating, and people should use alternative entrances.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC

Pretty easy in my opinion, although I do actively research finance in my own time so maybe thats a bias. Finished the "challenging" practise quiz for quiz2 and it was pretty easy.

mrstripedshades

HSC
are any of u in the acst101 monday morning lecture?

tbh im kinda not liking this lecture that much that I think its worth going to uni in total of prolly near 2 hr worth of transport, just for the lecture.

If I dont feel well in the morning prolly gonna stay home.. hopefully dont regret it. Also that activity she did last time did 0 to help tbh

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
are any of u in the acst101 monday morning lecture?

tbh im kinda not liking this lecture that much that I think its worth going to uni in total of prolly near 2 hr worth of transport, just for the lecture.

If I dont feel well in the morning prolly gonna stay home.. hopefully dont regret it. Also that activity she did last time did 0 to help tbh
read the slides for tomorrow, it looks fucked lol

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol still getting into the hang of my study pattern... getting closer each week though. I really like how mq has night classes and echo, it means I only need to be on campus 3 days. Wish I had some classes with you guys. Also I found grad positions @ aldi! 85k plus a car and iphone and increases to like 185 over 4 years... That's so much more than other places lol (I'd link but I think thats advertising it too much)

mrstripedshades

HSC
Lol still getting into the hang of my study pattern... getting closer each week though. I really like how mq has night classes and echo, it means I only need to be on campus 3 days. Wish I had some classes with you guys. Also I found grad positions @ aldi! 85k plus a car and iphone and increases to like 185 over 4 years... That's so much more than other places lol (I'd link but I think thats advertising it too much)
sounds good. but does it even matter at this point tbh

read the slides for tomorrow, it looks fucked lol
so i shuld prolly go

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Also I found grad positions @ aldi! 85k plus a car and iphone and increases to like 185 over 4 years... That's so much more than other places lol (I'd link but I think thats advertising it too much)
It's not the most traditional program, and your pigeonholing yourself with them as you train to be an area manager for their stores during that time. Of course, the salary is fantastic and there's very good opportunities for a career if you want to be a manager as such, but if you don't like it (and you decide to work as say, a financial analyst instead) your going to have a hard time jumping because of the lack of experience. Naturally, if you can utilise your new found management skills to entice and employer your set, but FMCG to say, Big 4, is a big leap.

Anyhow, there is plenty of well playing graduate roles out there for those that want them. I'd suggest looking at what employers are looking for in their head recruitment this year. Ideally you'll spend your first year getting good grades and Ecs happening, so in about a year from now you'll have more leverage when it comes to internship applications.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Do any students know the strictness of Tutorial Participation marking? Do the teachers do it every week, at the end of the session or some other demonic ritual?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)