• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MQ Chatter Thread (4 Viewers)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Ive done two exams

Management accounting was excessively easy

Never had any really exams at MQ... Hmmm

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HSC
N/A
Just finished Phys201 and now its all over phew!!! Tough exam, theres no way i could've prepared any better and i still screwed up so much. How on earth do people find time to Uni successfully & party too? Must be a myth!! haha

mrstripedshades

HSC
Just finished Phys201 and now its all over phew!!! Tough exam, theres no way i could've prepared any better and i still screwed up so much. How on earth do people find time to Uni successfully & party too? Must be a myth!! haha
depends on your degree probably. I'm not heavy on partying but I do go out often, or at least try to, and considering I go uni 2 days (now no work but used to work 16-24 hours weekly) its doable in my degree. science based degrees usually have a higher workload

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
depends on your degree probably. I'm not heavy on partying but I do go out often, or at least try to, and considering I go uni 2 days (now no work but used to work 16-24 hours weekly) its doable in my degree. science based degrees usually have a higher workload
What degree are you doing?

mrstripedshades

HSC
What did you hate about macro? I'm considering potentially do it as an elective.
I didn't necessarily dislike the content, assignments were actually alright because I actually did have some interests in the concepts. Personally I found the lecturer, the slides (after the first few weeks), and just in general the organisation of the subject poor.

For example, all of my first year subjects I got sample exams, if not two, for some reason we got none for Macro (well we did get one but.. could you really call it a sample?). This may be standard for most units but it wasnt for mine, so maybe I was just misguided in this regard.

The subject is extremely content heavy (in comparison to my other units this sem), but its really only the surface layer of the content that was covered in the exam... The exam was extremely basic and simple. As the 'sample paper' we got only had 2 multi choice (when the real one had 30), but still had 5 short answers (where we chose 2 from), we weren't really given a good idea what kind of multi choice we'd be given. The second part was fairly useful, but the majority of the exam was multi choice.

What I, and probably most, thought that the multi choice would be similar to the 5% quizzes throughout the sem, which always had around 50% maths, and the maths wasnt always braindead easy I think (like you didn't even need to remember a formula for the maths in the final exam). The final exam had 1 compulsory maths question, and it was in multi-choice, it could legitmately easily be done without a calculator... And as you had a choice for the short answers you could avoid maths completely there as well. Its fine, but its just a weird stray from the quizzes we had throughout the sem, and as we didnt get a sample for the actual test this probably wasnt a good idea.

I'm not saying I got a distinction for this subject or anything, it will probably be my worst subject by around 10%. But the final exam was a joke in terms of time required. The multi choice, as it was largely basic theory concepts, could nearly be completed in the reading time. The 2 short answers probably depended on how much you wrote but I wrote around 2-3 pages for both the ones I chose. I finished about 5 minutes before the 1 hour mark, but I was trying to write neatly because of how much time we had, this test could genuinely be completed in 30-40 minutes.

Assignments were marked extremely easy for me though, so take that as a positive got 29/30 for them overall.

My problems probably were with the way the subject was taught and assessed rather than the actual content, that being said I'm not a fan of subjects that content heavy (especially when most of it doesnt even get addressed, which makes me think the lecturer taught a lot of unnecessary stuff, as I felt that he often went off track). That being said, I didn't do economics in high school.

My degree is App fin w Prof Accg

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't necessarily dislike the content, assignments were actually alright because I actually did have some interests in the concepts. Personally I found the lecturer, the slides (after the first few weeks), and just in general the organisation of the subject poor.

For example, all of my first year subjects I got sample exams, if not two, for some reason we got none for Macro (well we did get one but.. could you really call it a sample?). This may be standard for most units but it wasnt for mine, so maybe I was just misguided in this regard.

The subject is extremely content heavy (in comparison to my other units this sem), but its really only the surface layer of the content that was covered in the exam... The exam was extremely basic and simple. As the 'sample paper' we got only had 2 multi choice (when the real one had 30), but still had 5 short answers (where we chose 2 from), we weren't really given a good idea what kind of multi choice we'd be given. The second part was fairly useful, but the majority of the exam was multi choice.

What I, and probably most, thought that the multi choice would be similar to the 5% quizzes throughout the sem, which always had around 50% maths, and the maths wasnt always braindead easy I think (like you didn't even need to remember a formula for the maths in the final exam). The final exam had 1 compulsory maths question, and it was in multi-choice, it could legitmately easily be done without a calculator... And as you had a choice for the short answers you could avoid maths completely there as well. Its fine, but its just a weird stray from the quizzes we had throughout the sem, and as we didnt get a sample for the actual test this probably wasnt a good idea.

I'm not saying I got a distinction for this subject or anything, it will probably be my worst subject by around 10%. But the final exam was a joke in terms of time required. The multi choice, as it was largely basic theory concepts, could nearly be completed in the reading time. The 2 short answers probably depended on how much you wrote but I wrote around 2-3 pages for both the ones I chose. I finished about 5 minutes before the 1 hour mark, but I was trying to write neatly because of how much time we had, this test could genuinely be completed in 30-40 minutes.

Assignments were marked extremely easy for me though, so take that as a positive got 29/30 for them overall.

My problems probably were with the way the subject was taught and assessed rather than the actual content, that being said I'm not a fan of subjects that content heavy (especially when most of it doesnt even get addressed, which makes me think the lecturer taught a lot of unnecessary stuff, as I felt that he often went off track). That being said, I didn't do economics in high school.

My degree is App fin w Prof Accg
You may well be aware of this, but http://www.mq.edu.au/about/campus-services-and-facilities/library has actual exams from previous years which helps if they don't provide a sample exam paper.

Thanks for the lengthy information about the subject!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
blitz fam what do you study?
Nearly actually did your degree, but then decided not to.

Still the majority of us have on this thread at this stage of time, are doing or were doing an accounting major.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)