MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

LonelyWolf

HSC
Which one is better: Accounting IA or Accounting Information for Decision-Making ?

Odyssey2001

HSC
Hey guys I just have a quick question in regards to our MQ email, last year was my last year and I'm finished up at MQ now so does this mean that my MQ student e-mail account will be closed/disabled? And if it does when do they usually close it?
Thanks.

LonelyWolf

HSC
Latter is easier, former is needed for an accounting major or degree.
Which is easier (maths and general difficulty wise)?

ECON111:

This unit aims to provide an introduction to the main ideas and concepts involved in modern economics; and attempts to provide students with an understanding of how the economy works, what type of problems economists attempt to solve, and how they set about trying to solve them. The unit is primarily concerned with the analysis of individual decision-making units, and the behaviour of firms and industries in the economy, i.e. with microeconomics. Topics covered include: consumer choice and demand analysis; the firm and its production and costs; market structures from perfect competition to monopoly; factor markets; income distribution, poverty and discrimination; welfare economics; and market failure and microeconomic reform.

OR

STAT170:

This unit is intended for students with a high level of proficiency in mathematics. The unit provides an introduction to modern statistical principles and practice with special emphasis on data analytical techniques. Methods for the organisation and display of data are considered with special emphasis on data quality. The aim of statistical practice is to make the scientific learning cycle efficient; for this reason it is used in disciplines ranging from actuarial science to zoology. Students are expected to report on their investigations of real life problems. Data entry and computer analysis are undertaken using a statistical package. This does not require any previous computing experience. The unit includes topics such as basic probability and random variables; data summarisation and display; data quality; probability models for data including the normal, Poisson, binomial and sampling distributions and their important properties. Statistical inference techniques are considered such as estimates and their accuracy; tests of means; proportions and other characteristics; regression and correlation; and an introduction to the analysis of count data.

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey Can someone please answer question #131 on page 9?

Thanks

sincerely, Rayy_bann :)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

ECON111:

This unit aims to provide an introduction to the main ideas and concepts involved in modern economics; and attempts to provide students with an understanding of how the economy works, what type of problems economists attempt to solve, and how they set about trying to solve them. The unit is primarily concerned with the analysis of individual decision-making units, and the behaviour of firms and industries in the economy, i.e. with microeconomics. Topics covered include: consumer choice and demand analysis; the firm and its production and costs; market structures from perfect competition to monopoly; factor markets; income distribution, poverty and discrimination; welfare economics; and market failure and microeconomic reform.

OR

STAT170:

This unit is intended for students with a high level of proficiency in mathematics. The unit provides an introduction to modern statistical principles and practice with special emphasis on data analytical techniques. Methods for the organisation and display of data are considered with special emphasis on data quality. The aim of statistical practice is to make the scientific learning cycle efficient; for this reason it is used in disciplines ranging from actuarial science to zoology. Students are expected to report on their investigations of real life problems. Data entry and computer analysis are undertaken using a statistical package. This does not require any previous computing experience. The unit includes topics such as basic probability and random variables; data summarisation and display; data quality; probability models for data including the normal, Poisson, binomial and sampling distributions and their important properties. Statistical inference techniques are considered such as estimates and their accuracy; tests of means; proportions and other characteristics; regression and correlation; and an introduction to the analysis of count data.
ECON111 for sure. Lots of students seem to have problems with STAT170.

Salliea

HSC
Hey Can someone please answer question #131 on page 9?

Thanks

sincerely, Rayy_bann :)
owo;; I thought that was already answered by -may-cat- in post #133

STAT170:

I got a different summary for STAT170 O_O. Your description is my STAT171 description.

STAT170: Introductory Statistics (3)

This unit provides a broad introduction to statistical concepts and data analysis techniques. The unit is concerned with the development of an understanding of statistical practice and is illustrated by a study of those techniques most commonly used in the sciences, social sciences and humanities. The aim of statistical practice is to make the scientific research process efficient; for this reason statistics is used in disciplines ranging from accountancy to zoology. Whilst this unit may be taken as a terminating unit, it provides only basic statistical knowledge. Students intending to complete a major in statistics, or those wishing to acquaint themselves with the practical application of statistical techniques, are advised to include STAT270 Applied Statistics and STAT273 Introduction to Probability in their program. Topics covered in this unit include: data collection methods; data quality; data summarisation; and statistical models like the normal distribution, followed by sampling distributions and statistical inferences about means, proportions and quantiles. Also studied are methods of analysis relating to comparisons, counted data and relationships, including regression and correlation. Statistical computer packages are used for handling and analysing data along with word processing for reporting the results. However, no prior computing knowledge is assumed.

ECON111 for sure. Lots of students seem to have problems with STAT170.
Erk >x< But STAT170 would easier than STAT171 yes? ;__; I have to decided between the two

Last edited:

Salliea

HSC
^ Oh!! :rotfl: I asked the NCCW question before too~~
It's on page 7 and 8 (Post #102-#106)
Or just follow the quote convo below lol

Just something that popped up... What does NCCW(s) stand for/ mean? :p
^ It means you are not allowed to take the unit if you have taken any of the NCCW(s)
Yep, Not to Count for Credit With - its essentially to stop people from doing the same unit or something so similar that they're not really learning
Ohhh, so we can't do those units in the same semester then? :x
No no, you can't do them ever, or they won't count. These units are either way too similar, or are the previous version of the same unit.

Last edited:

LonelyWolf

HSC
owo;; I thought that was already answered by -may-cat- in post #133

I got a different summary for STAT170 O_O. Your description is my STAT171 description.

STAT170: Introductory Statistics (3)

This unit provides a broad introduction to statistical concepts and data analysis techniques. The unit is concerned with the development of an understanding of statistical practice and is illustrated by a study of those techniques most commonly used in the sciences, social sciences and humanities. The aim of statistical practice is to make the scientific research process efficient; for this reason statistics is used in disciplines ranging from accountancy to zoology. Whilst this unit may be taken as a terminating unit, it provides only basic statistical knowledge. Students intending to complete a major in statistics, or those wishing to acquaint themselves with the practical application of statistical techniques, are advised to include STAT270 Applied Statistics and STAT273 Introduction to Probability in their program. Topics covered in this unit include: data collection methods; data quality; data summarisation; and statistical models like the normal distribution, followed by sampling distributions and statistical inferences about means, proportions and quantiles. Also studied are methods of analysis relating to comparisons, counted data and relationships, including regression and correlation. Statistical computer packages are used for handling and analysing data along with word processing for reporting the results. However, no prior computing knowledge is assumed.

Erk >x< But STAT170 would easier than STAT171 yes? ;__; I have to decided between the two
My mistake, i switched them

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Yep definitely. I studied STAT170 and it wasn't that bad. I was a little silly in the preparation for the final exam so I didn't do as well as I should have.

What exactly does NCCW man? and what does 'Assessed As: Graded' mean?
NCCW = Not to Count for Credit With

In other words you don't want to have studied the subjects listed under NCCW since they won't count with a particular unit.

Graded unit means you will actually get a grade relative to your performance (Fail (in whatever variation)/Pass/Credit/Distinction). Ungraded means you will simply be told whether your performance was satisfactory or not.

ameher

HSC

ECON111:

OR

STAT170:

Yep ECON111 for sure. Very Interesting subject actually i really enjoyed it, and i did no economics in my HSC.

STAT170 is well, yer manageable if you have the right attitude just make sure you keep up week to week.

ameher

HSC
Btw Azure congrats on starting law. If you need any textbooks or need anything for Law let me know.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Btw Azure congrats on starting law. If you need any textbooks or need anything for Law let me know.
Thanks a lot, really appreciate that. Do you still have your first year books?

Turns out all the UAC transfers won't be admitted until the 6th of Feb which means I get to enrol in classes later :(

ameher

HSC
Thanks a lot, really appreciate that. Do you still have your first year books?

Turns out all the UAC transfers won't be admitted until the 6th of Feb which means I get to enrol in classes later :(
Ah that sucks, i will be on e-student this time next week frantically trying to get into my classes. Yer mate i have some foundations of law and criminal law stuff that might help ya out, just let me know when the unit outlines come up as to what textbooks your using, cause last yrs ppls used the same books as i did so they might have kept them the same.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I guess since I'll be doing mostly first year subjects I shouldn't have a problem enrolling (since the newbies will be enrolling around the same time)

According to the Co-op site, the books for LAW115 semester 1 2012 are:

Title: Law Essentials: Foundations in Australian Law
Author: Macken and Dupuche

&

Title: Connecting With Law 2E & Aust Law Dictionary Value Pack
Author: Sanson and Mann

Are these what you have?

ameher

HSC
I guess since I'll be doing mostly first year subjects I shouldn't have a problem enrolling (since the newbies will be enrolling around the same time)

According to the Co-op site, the books for LAW115 semester 1 2012 are:

Title: Law Essentials: Foundations in Australian Law
Author: Macken and Dupuche

&

Title: Connecting With Law 2E & Aust Law Dictionary Value Pack
Author: Sanson and Mann

Are these what you have?
haha wow they've changed those, we just used two course readers that were made by the lecturers back when i did it. Yer you shouldn't have a problem enrolling. I have to renew my uni gym membership aswell, ah... and btw have you heard when the new campus cards are coming?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Damn.

I didn't know new campus cards were coming. What's the plan with that?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Oh wow first I've heard of this. Does sound like a pretty handy thing though, so looking forward to it.

Do you have any experience with driving to uni btw? I'm considering paying yearly for parking and just showing up at 8AM (if i'm lucky enough to be able to get morning classes). I've heard that parking is okay at that time, but still not one hundred percent sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)