MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Alright, thanks for the headsup man. I'll have to really consider this then.

So, are you suggesting I do POL 107 in the first session in lieu of a people or planet unit?
I'd consider it

STUDENT K

HSC
The recommended/suggested program for my first year according to Mq was to do my people and planet electives in my first session next year, so that is what i have enrolled in. I am doing ISYS100 and ECH130. This is to satisfy the requirements for KLAs in primary teaching, one being for science/maths/technology and the other being for creative arts.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Well last exam (for now) was done. Easy as, and I'd already passed before today so it was just to get some extra marks and bump up my grade.

Other than that my weeks been pretty darn terrible. Hopefully everyone else's is going better!

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
So, the degree I want to transfer to (B. Security Studies) has the same ATAR requirement as the degree I'm enrolled in (B. Arts)... but requires four PICT subjects at credit level! Wow, my night is ruined. I don't need to spend 2018 stressing out. Considering going to another university...

just a note to all future mq students: the handbook you are looking at is subject to being changed. So is the 'transfer requirements'. I'm just so frustrated and wanted to vent somewhere...

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sorry to hear that Lightoftheseven.

Any chance you can do those 4 subjects over the next year, along with other subjects you'll need for your degree?

There's a few 200 level subject you should be able to take as they've only got a minimum credit point requirement.

That way when you've met the transfer prerequisites, you're able to transfer into the degree and not be too far behind.

I know security studies is offered as an external course (open.edu.au for example). Have you looked into if that might work better for you?

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Thanks ilikecats :)

I've thought about it, and will consider using open.edu.au. I've used it in the past (it's how I got admission into MQ). I took Modern Warfare this semester (200 level) and I think I'll get a high pass. It's just if I complete the subjects and get passes, then I may not get in.

I'm just puzzled that a course with a 75 ATAR requires 4 credits in specific subjects. Like, give me a GPA requirement and I can spread it over a couple of subjects. But put pressure on a single subject? Oh boy. Out of the 4, I've done one (Terrorism) where I got a credit. I worked hard for that, it was a bit challenging in some areas. Maybe OUA is the answer.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Just fyi guys I've had some, uh, issues in the past with students complaining his ilearn.

If other people are doing it, dont join in.

If you do have genuine issues or complaints, write up a letter and send it via official email. And giev yourself a day of two before sending so you aren't completely enraged and ranting.

But that sucks it was hard for so many.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Just fyi guys I've had some, uh, issues in the past with students complaining his ilearn.

If other people are doing it, dont join in.

If you do have genuine issues or complaints, write up a letter and send it via official email. And giev yourself a day of two before sending so you aren't completely enraged and ranting.

But that sucks it was hard for so many.
There was a 12+ post thread that lasted until yesterday 6pm. Now the General Discussion board has been removed, so no one can see the thread anymore.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Hmm, still not sure if I should pick a People/Planet unit as I haven't done it yet, or still save it.

Doing ACCG250, ACCG200 and STAT150 so far. Any suggestions on People/Planet units that have preferably: no exams, easy & interesting content/assignments? I've seen suggestions on ISYS100 and Drugs Across Society (lmao) but I can't find any use for the latter.

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Isys100 is pretty easy unless you get out into a terrible group.

I don't think you can take AFAS200 as a people or planet unit, which was going to be my next recommendation. :(

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hmm, still not sure if I should pick a People/Planet unit as I haven't done it yet, or still save it.

Doing ACCG250, ACCG200 and STAT150 so far. Any suggestions on People/Planet units that have preferably: no exams, easy & interesting content/assignments? I've seen suggestions on ISYS100 and Drugs Across Society (lmao) but I can't find any use for the latter.
PHL137 (Critical Thinking) is a really good People Unit to do. No external exams and a huge portion of assessments are quizzes. Lecturer is great (interesting content as well) and final assignment is easy. The rest is just participation (10%). Content is also relevant and can be applied to a lot of other areas of study.

I did a planet unit (ASTR178) which I would recommend if you ever liked physics (good lecturers, good content) but there's quite a lot to learn. It has a final exam, but it's basically a repeat of past years questions and the multiple choice is from the assignment quizzes + practise quizzes. All other assignments are a video (2 minutes - worth about 15%) and 10 short answer questions (which are good for preparing for the final exam). You can probably pass by using google, practise MC quizzes and past papers. Some (maybe most) lecture content is long and kind of irrelevant (for testing purposes). The rest is great.

Would not recommend Drugs Across Cultures (CBMS123?), it's very heavy chemistry-wise - the name is misleading.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Drugs Across Cultures is ANTH106, an Anthropology unit in the Arts faculty. I did it for three weeks, then dropped it before the census date. I am not a science person.

I've heard very mixed things about ASTR178.

boredofstudiesuser1- thanks for the rec for Critical Thinking. I know I didn't ask the question, but I'm looking for a people / planet unit as well. Anyone had experiences with 'Big Ideas In Science'?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Drugs Across Cultures is ANTH106, an Anthropology unit in the Arts faculty. I did it for three weeks, then dropped it before the census date. I am not a science person.

I've heard very mixed things about ASTR178.

boredofstudiesuser1- thanks for the rec for Critical Thinking. I know I didn't ask the question, but I'm looking for a people / planet unit as well. Anyone had experiences with 'Big Ideas In Science'?
Oh right sorry, my bad. Was thinking of alchemy, drugs and the quest for immortality (which is CBMS123).

Apparently MATH123 is a planet unit???
SPED102 seems interesting...

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh whatever you do don't take the science of sex.

Again, another unit with a seductive title, but it's actually a biology unit (IE. Cell reproduction).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)