MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

mrstripedshades

HSC
There's going to be one In mid March. Apparently the 19th because I'll be one of the EY ambassadors there. Don't think it's finalised yet tho. Its pretty long, from 11am to 2pm
hasnt been added or advertised on macsync yet. Neither has the first event they have tho

but thats pre cool lol

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
I've kind of become disillusioned with history at the moment. Maybe its just a phase that I'll knock out of, but I thought about enrolling in ECON110 or ECON111 to give economics a go. Do these units assume a certain level of mathematical skills? I'm okay with maths, but I haven't touched on it in years.

I'm interested in how economics influences political and policy decisions. "Political Economy" seems to be a bit too much Sociology based for my liking. I consider myself to be someone who whilst has strong opinions, tries to at least logically back them up with evidence.

Any advice when approaching ECON units?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I've kind of become disillusioned with history at the moment. Maybe its just a phase that I'll knock out of, but I thought about enrolling in ECON110 or ECON111 to give economics a go. Do these units assume a certain level of mathematical skills? I'm okay with maths, but I haven't touched on it in years.

I'm interested in how economics influences political and policy decisions. "Political Economy" seems to be a bit too much Sociology based for my liking. I consider myself to be someone who whilst has strong opinions, tries to at least logically back them up with evidence.

ECON111 you should be fine mathematically, the texbook can explain the concept fairly well, and PAL is avaliable so you can go to that.
ECON110 I have yet to do it so I can't help.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Anyone doing ACCG250 can show me where they tell us there's no tutorial week 1? I only found out by going there and being confused for 10 mins, then looking up the actual full timetable that there's only lectures this week.

Checked the forums and main page. there wasn't anything.

ECON110 is pretty different from ECON111. Depends on the lecturer though. ECON111 is definitely more mathematic, but like ECON111, it's only a tool that's used to describe it and translate the theory into a more quantifiable way for students to be tested on. The maths that's present is probably like 2Unit minimum, I would suggest that the theory is much more important to understand in order to realise why the math works.

I did a review on ECON111 and I'll just say it here, if you've done coordinate geometry you'll find it easier, as how the graphs move and change are loosely based on how coordinate geometry is taught.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
@ProdigyInspired I reckon it probably shows up on e-student that you don't have a tutorial on the first week, and that they assumed people would check that.

Orwell

HSC
Trying to get into the swing of things but not much work has been assigned to us.

Could I opt to read material so as to get a headstart?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Trying to get into the swing of things but not much work has been assigned to us.

Could I opt to read material so as to get a headstart?
Have a look at the unit guides. They may tell you the expected readings.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Snowflek, I wish you alot of encouragement in your studies! First days go like a whirlwind, but you'll get through your first week. Any problems, you can always talk to someone about it.

I'm 2nd year, thinking of transferring into a new degree and I just took the 'introductory' subject for a B. Social Science, and I am so jaded and unmotivated. I'm asking myself questions- 'should i transfer? is social sciences just an arts degree with a boring research componant? are the supposed enhanced employment prospects really worth it?' but I'm just tiring myself out. I had a bad experience in my tut today, and so did many people in my class. Why is the sociology department at Mq... like that. I know, I'm supposed to stick it out and put up with it but that just makes me more angry.

Bad days happen- but you recover. You'll move on. Good luck- you are more prepared than you know.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC

If you are more interested with policy, I would suggest enrolling in econ110 over 111. Econ111 is microeconomics and is thus concerned with small scale things like individual firm actions or a market for just one product.

Econ110 is about the whole economy and is about interest rates, monetary policy and large scale things that definitely influence the government and their responses more.

crazy_paki123

HSC
It definitely depends on the person. I loved Econ111 (got 83 woth minimal effort) but hates Econ110 ( got 68 woth prob more effort). It depends on the tutor too imo. My tutor for 111 was much better than the 110 tutor. In terms of maths I thought 110 had more? Could be wrong did it ages ago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)