MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
people going to the careers fair:

are you guys taking your resumes or just going as a chill, networking thing?

mrstripedshades

HSC
Nah. At best you might get one linkedin connection lmao(and that too with a fellow student, rather than one of the delegates or whatever). Its just a thing to talk to recruiters/employees and understand more about the processes and the companies involved from my understanding

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Hey, so today was kind of tough at uni. I was called 'immoral' by another student (for the stupidest stuff) and just treated me poorly, claiming I was saying things. Like, so many logical fallacies. The tutor did nothing.

I want to drop the subject, but its a core for one of my majors. I'm just feeling really down and disillusioned with politics subjects atm. My interest in history has come back, which is great. Modern History and IR are run by the same department, but they attract very different types of people.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
anyone else feel like because they live a fair bit away from uni that it hinders making friends? I'm like an hour away roughly so can't just pop over to a friends cause they normally live a long way away.
I'm a 2 hour drive lol

Snowflek

HSC
Hey, so today was kind of tough at uni. I was called 'immoral' by another student (for the stupidest stuff) and just treated me poorly, claiming I was saying things. Like, so many logical fallacies. The tutor did nothing.

I want to drop the subject, but its a core for one of my majors. I'm just feeling really down and disillusioned with politics subjects atm. My interest in history has come back, which is great. Modern History and IR are run by the same department, but they attract very different types of people.
Hey, don't worry about what others think about you. Just keep studying the subject. I really believe you will pull through. You got this!!

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
The BUSL251 page doesn't seem very well structured so I'm not sure if we'll have readings or not i.e. if i have to buy the textbook, has anyone done this unit before?

ACCG250 doesn't seem to have a open book test anymore so maybe no textbook?

ACCG200 seems to be the only textbook I need to buy as per usual with ACCG units that use textbook questions.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
The BUSL251 page doesn't seem very well structured so I'm not sure if we'll have readings or not i.e. if i have to buy the textbook, has anyone done this unit before?

ACCG250 doesn't seem to have a open book test anymore so maybe no textbook?

ACCG200 seems to be the only textbook I need to buy as per usual with ACCG units that use textbook questions.

i) BUSL251 Is a new unit, they have combined BUSL250, and BUSL301
BUSL301 I heavily used the two textbooks at the time. I also think they may let you now take the textbook into the exam, which may be useful. I can't tell you whether buying the textbook is essential or not.

ii) ACCG250 still has the assessed coursework(during tutorials), they expect you to do readings, and sometimes its a case study so you'll need to and can't make it up. They don't mention whether you can bring in notes, they just say "There will be no time to consult with the book or other resources during the tutorial". Check with your tutor if you are allowed to bring in textbook/notes. Plus most of the multiple choice come from the book for the final exam.

crazy_paki123

HSC
If you guys are looking to apply/applied or want to learn about what it's like to work at a Big 4 don't forget to drop by on the 19th and come say hi to me, HR and some other EY employees. Idk if it's free ice cream since its an "ice cream" day but come say hi anyway:)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you guys are looking to apply/applied or want to learn about what it's like to work at a Big 4 don't forget to drop by on the 19th and come say hi to me, HR and some other EY employees. Idk if it's free ice cream since its an "ice cream" day but come say hi anyway:)
Is this event held at MQ?

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
I got selected to represent Macquarie Uni in a Canberra delegation (it's one of those GLP symposium things) :party:

I spent 2017 not doing much, so I'm trying to make myself more ~employable~ and make the most of my MQ experience. My grades are modest, nothing special, nothing bad. If anyone has any advice about grad applications next year, please tell me!

crazy_paki123

HSC
I'm happy to answer any questions u may have Light. Just drop an inbox if u like if u want personal feedback or if u think ur q applies to a wider audience then feel free to post here

crazy_paki123

HSC
I did a little bit of GLP too lol but didmt complete it. Kind of regret not going on exchange tho. That's a great experience and gets u 100 points from memory

crazy_paki123

HSC
Plus going overseas looks really good on ur resume and gives u something to talk about it at interviews

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Hey! Thanks for your response, I'll keep what you said in mind.

Well, I have some overseas activities I'm thinking about and have applied to (July Language Exchanges, as I'm currently doing a language unit), and I've found some opportunities for ~leadership~ and I'm applying to internships. I've got an appointment with one of the staff members on Thursday to discuss a leadership idea I have. So I think I'm on the right track?

The GLP is alot of work, lol. But it's not bad if you don't complete it, because what you have done you can just put on your resume. It's a 'you get what you put in' kind of thing. It also helps if its relevant to your study- I'm lucky, cause it is. I can get 40 points just by doing a modern language and an 'international' subject. Worth 20 xp each.

I might attend some events hosted / promoted by careerhub in the next couple of months. My resume needs a clean-up, and so do my interview techniques (phone interviews esp where I come across as deranged and weird...:chainsaw:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)