MSN logs out by its self (1 Viewer)

chickadee17

This has only started to happen, but im doing something on the net and my msn decides that it wants to log out and this stupid message comes up saying something like 'Msn has signed out due to you signing in on another computer'

Well i am only on one computer at one time, only signed in on msn on one computer.

Plz help with this annoying problem

Winston

HSC
This is caused because of the Microsoft Windows Messenger running in the background, if you go to task manager via, CTRL + SHIFT +ESC, and under Processes, look for the Image Name, msmsgs.exe, once you locate that, select it, and click on End Process, once that's done, Navigate to My computer, c: drive, program files, and look for the folder Messenger, just so that Windows Messenger doesn't load up again, just rename that folder to something meaningful like "MessengerDISABLE". Once that's done, you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

Carlito

HSC
Could also be that someone knows your password and is signing in using your account while you are aready using it.

VX1-08U

Most likely from someone signing into your account ....

Did you use another computer with msn messenger and click remember my p/w when logging in?

Update your virus scanner and scan system for keyloggers.

Winston

HSC
i'm very sure he/she has checked that already, and IT IS a Windows Messenger problem, because i've experienced it myself.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
As Windows Messenger creates several security holes in your connection, I would suggest you use "Add/Remove Programs", select the Windows Components section and deselect the checkbox.

Proceed to http://messenger.msn.com.

Whilst I do not like MSN Messenger, and it has reported network problems before, the resolution to Windows Messenger for me has always been to install MSN Messenger.

Hope this helps :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Protector
As Windows Messenger creates several security holes in your connection, I would suggest you use "Add/Remove Programs", select the Windows Components section and deselect the checkbox.

Proceed to http://messenger.msn.com.

Whilst I do not like MSN Messenger, and it has reported network problems before, the resolution to Windows Messenger for me has always been to install MSN Messenger.

Hope this helps :)
Not a smart move, removing Windows Messenger entirely would not be good as MSN Messenger is dependent on Windows Messenger to function in some portions of it's features, e.g. Remote Assistance.

There aren't major holes in Windows Messenger, all programs have security flaws. I don't think you can remove Windows Messenger the conventional method like that, as it was orginally pre-installed into Windows XP, although there's an alternative method which you just go about editing the SYSOC.ini and remove a "hide" attribute for Windows Messenger and then you can have access to remove Windows Messenger from the Add/Remove Windows Component section.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
It worked for me Winston... on the following:

Windows XP Home
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home SP1
Windows XP Professional SP1

I think it works? :)

LadyMoon

HSC
If you remove Windows Messenger, then Outlook shouldnt function aswell (im assuming) cause everytime you start up Outlook XP, it loads Windows Messenger aswell....

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by LadyMoon
If you remove Windows Messenger, then Outlook shouldnt function aswell (im assuming) cause everytime you start up Outlook XP, it loads Windows Messenger aswell....
No Outlook Express still works, it's not a dependent aspect of Windows Messenger, it only collaborates with it in respect to obtaining your contacts and storing them in your address book.

Outlook XP works...
Outlook Express get it right, it's mis-leading people might be thinking you're refering to Microsoft Outlook, the Office XP version.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Pfffft I was responding to the nice lady that asked Winston. :p

Ask a non-specific question, get the same answer.

Windows Messenger goes away nicely, its pretty nice to get rid of it, sif need Remote Connection via it anyway :p

Winston

HSC
Pfffft I was responding to the nice lady that asked Winston. :p

Ask a non-specific question, get the same answer.

Windows Messenger goes away nicely, its pretty nice to get rid of it, sif need Remote Connection via it anyway :p

Remote Assistance my friend, as well as Whiteboard :p... you never use it, that's all, but that's how i do tech support for some BOS members.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
I thought MSN 6.1 supported it, or that you could just email the reciept... =\

And Whiteboard... pfffft.

Winston... what about that linux function...actually... nah :p (I don't need to get bashed).

LadyMoon

HSC
Yes. I meant Microsoft Outlook 2002 aka (to me anyways) as "Outlook XP", i thought that "Outlook XP" was a common refernce to Microsoft Outlook 2002...seeing as it comes with Office XP (?!)
I'll be more "specific" next time :p

That aside:
So Windows XP stands for Windows Express? (Yes im a little late on the uptake :p, but its also because this is the first time i have seen the abbreviation "XP" attributed to "Express".)

Winston

HSC
Yes. I meant Microsoft Outlook 2002 aka (to me anyways) as "Outlook XP", i thought that "Outlook XP" was a common refernce to Microsoft Outlook 2002...seeing as it comes with Office XP (?!)
I'll be more "specific" next time :p

That aside:
So Windows XP stands for Windows Express? (Yes im a little late on the uptake :p, but its also because this is the first time i have seen the abbreviation "XP" attributed to "Express".)

ummm it's Windows eXPerience. not express... i was talking about the builtin E-mail client called Microsoft Outlook Express.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
No no no no no...

Outlook Express Windows XP version... :)

Edit: Bah Winston :p

Winston

HSC
No no no no no...

Outlook Express Windows XP version... :)

Edit: Bah Winston :p
too quick for ya ;)

LadyMoon

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
ummm it's Windows eXPerience. not express... i was talking about the builtin E-mail client called Microsoft Outlook Express.
Oh...I dont use Outlook Express, well i did but Microsoft Outlook 2002 (XP) looks more classy :p..so i reverted.

Windows Experience...thatd make a lot more sense...seeing as im used to "XP" refering to "experience" in most games (RPG)...

Winston

HSC
Oh...I dont use Outlook Express, well i did but Microsoft Outlook 2002 (XP) looks more classy :p..so i reverted.

Windows Experience...thatd make a lot more sense...seeing as im used to "XP" refering to "experience" in most games (RPG)...
Well that's where most Software Vendors, and Hardware makers did, they just added XP in front, MS set the trend, and everyone followed, except for Athlon XP, the XP in that stood for eXtreme Performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)