Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

davin

HSC
N/A
why would it have? many of the conflicts are from an increased number of muslims in the western world.
and keep in mind that islamic countries aren't exactly the most tolerant when ti coems to other religions

zeek

HSC
Well if islam had problems with other religions, i would have thought that it would have been sorted long ago

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
r3v3ng3 said:
Well if islam had problems with other religions, i would have thought that it would have been sorted long ago
Perhaps you need to think about it some more then? I mean surely you have more of an imagination than that :/

zeek

HSC
Well then what was the point of the crusades? wasn't it the christians verse the muslims?

If you're refering to the Palestine/Israel issue, i think thats more political than religious as its a debate over who owns the land.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well it's not as if religious conflicts get 'sorted', both groups believe they have a right to land or whatever... some christians believe christ wont come untill more people are christian etc...

These beliefs are non-sensicle, but they come from god so it's not like you can negotiate about them.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No because the editor is in charge of what goes on the newspaper... as long as the editor doesn't force that person to never use those swear words, or the newspaper its self is not stopped by some outside force I don't see how it's a 'breach of freedom of speech'. It's much like being at work... if your boss tells you to be nice to a customer, you can't just go and start swearing at them or talking about your anal warts or your feelings about jews or whatever... you're on his time.
but the media authority does put a curb on obscene language and images on our press

i mean if chris tucker was to write an article- it wouldnt be the same if he couldnt express himself with swear words :rofl:

get_born

mr EaZy said:
but the media authority does put a curb on obscene language and images on our press

i mean if chris tucker was to write an article- it wouldnt be the same if he couldnt express himself with swear words :rofl:
so true.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
SashatheMan said:
the problem is , each one of those religions, teaches their own rules and sais anything else is wrong, whcih in it self causes tension.

unless each religion never got in contact with the other, which is impossible to achieve, you will always have people disagreeing with each others views.

suppose we had islam

and then we had atheism (and agnostics, humanists,)

both these two beliefs are at odds with each other - and then wat? kill each other? have these so called "tensions"? or never meet each other?

RUBBISH!

The Quran indirectly addresses you in the following chapter:

Surah 109. The Disbelievers, Atheists

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Say : O ye that reject Faith! (Al-kafirun- means disbeliever in Islam)

2. I worship not that which ye worship,

3. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.

4. And I will not worship that which ye are worshipping ,

5. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.

6. To you be your Way, and to me mine.

----------------------------------------------------

SashatheMan said:
unless each religion never got in contact with the other, which is impossible to achieve, you will always have people disagreeing with each others views.
typical rhetoric from the likes of yourself- ive never heard it from people of conventional faiths. Even if disagreements do break out... what ? the world's going to blow up? We're living in this world as one species but with different inclinations, different beliefs, different faiths.... live with it mate :wave:

tempco

HSC
Malaysia Won't Boycott Danish Products: PM

Malaysia will not boycott Danish products over the provocative cartoons of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi announced on Tuesday, February 7.

Badawi also called for calm over the blasphemous cartoons, which triggered violent protests in many Muslim countries.

He said that whatever action taken to protest the cartoons should not bring problems to other people.

Qaradawi Condemns Violent Cartoon Protests

Prominent Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi denounced on Sunday, February 5, sabotage and violent protests by Muslims over the publication of cartoons mocking Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) by several European newspapers, saying Muslims should vent anger prudently.

Qaradawi said boycotting the products of European countries whose dailies had published the blasphemous cartoons is the Muslims’ sharpest weapon.

Muslim Scholars, Leaders Condemn Cartoon Violence

Muslim scholars, organizations and leaders were united on Sunday, February 5, in condemning violent attacks against the Danish and Norwegian diplomatic missions during protests over insulting drawings of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Echoing the same position, the highest religious authority in Syria condemned Sunday the attack on the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus a day earlier.

Muslims Want Int'l Law on Respecting Religions

A cohort of Muslim dignitaries and organizations are calling for the enactment of an international law banning the publication of any insults to religious symbols and values.

"The United Nations must pass binding resolutions obliging all countries to respect religions and religious symbols, similarly to the anti-Semitism laws," Abdelaziz Belkhadem, Algerian Minister of State and personal representative of President AbdelAziz Bouteflika, told IslamOnline.net.

Saad Al-Din Al-Othmani, the secretary general of the Moroccan Islamic-leaning Justice and Development party, echoed a similar call.

Just a few articles.

davin

HSC
N/A
they said similiar to the anti-semitism laws....um, there aren't internation laws for that. esp as they're violating them horribly then

Hardenne

HSC
OK, firstly we have to understand that making fun of the Prophet is not just an attack on one person, but the entire religion. I do not understand why Christians are fine with Jesus being satarised and demeened as he is. Most of us think that "wow, its only some dead guy and we are only 'practising our freedom of speech'". Well Prophets, aren't just some dead guys to some people, they are the Messengers of God, and i think its right to protect thier honour and maintain thier dignity after death. And for those who don't believe in God, i doubt they'll like to see thier mothers or fathers being degraded all over the press.

I have to say that Muslims, although justified in thier anger, have taken it too far again. But we have to get it through our heads that religion is not to blame for thier actions. These riots have occured in countries such as Lebanon, Iraq, Iran and Afgghanistan, all of which are poverty-stricken and war-torn. We dont see the other majority of mainly muslim nations such as Kuwait, Qatar or the U.A.E in the news. Why? Because it isn't the religion that is the problem, it is a institutional/structural problem that these people face.

So please don't go and blame eveything on the religion, because even though it may be a factor, it certainly isnt the cause, the underlying cause is obviously a political issue.

tempco

HSC
davin said:
they said similiar to the anti-semitism laws....um, there aren't internation laws for that. esp as they're violating them horribly then
I wasn't aware of anti-semitism laws either... dug these out of google:

US anti-Semitism law perturbs Arab press

Many Arab newspapers have condemned the new US law authorising the State Department to monitor anti-Semitism worldwide and produce annual reports critical of those countries where it is seen to be prevalent.

President George W Bush announced a few days ago that he had signed into law the bill authorising the US to rate countries on the way they treat Jews.

Bush signs global anti-Semitism law

US President George W. Bush said he had signed into law a bill requiring the State Department to monitor global anti-Semitism and rate countries annually on their treatment of Jews. "This nation will keep watch; we will make sure that the ancient impulse of anti-Semitism never finds a home in the modern world," Bush said as he campaigned in the key battleground state of Florida. The state's Jewish population is the third largest in the world after Israel and New York.

Under the legislation, the State Department will have to produce an annual report on anti-Semitism around the world and form a specific office headed by a special envoy to document anti-Semitic abuses and design strategies to combat them.

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
r3v3ng3 said:
Well then what was the point of the crusades? wasn't it the christians verse the muslims?

If you're refering to the Palestine/Israel issue, i think thats more political than religious as its a debate over who owns the land.
1) yes it was and the muslims won ! ( 2nd and 3rd crusades ), BTW it was a duty for the crusaders to kill jews/jewish villages along the way to battle, so u see everyone hates the jews

2) palestine owns the land...like even i knew that...the brits and french came, cut palestinian territory and gave it to the jews

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
davin said:
aren't they attacking religious symbols if they use the star of david in conjunction with concentration camps? and the criticism was of elements of islam, not of mohommad. in cartoons, you use a character associated with it to make a point
i dont think the point of satirising muhammad was as bad as actually drawing an image of him. i think the fact that they made a drawing of him sparked more emotion

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
man u know wat shits me da most????? these days no one can practise their religious faith peacefully. i mean.....ppl should be able to choose the religion dat suits them best n be abe to practise that.....i wish there comes a day when jewz, christians muslims etc can follow their religion without other ppl interfering with it.......i mean..........wats it to them.......its ur life n u should be able to practise ur religion without having to listen to rascist comments from low lifes who have a problem with everything! like seriously
well, that was almost exactly the scenario before the crusades, so blame those christians that wanted to save their people from the "muslims", you know, the ones that were ruling over christians and jews in jerusalem with no dramas under the watchful eyes of Saladin

sasha, i second Mr_Eazy's post. there are a huge amount of verses directed to disbelievers, christians, and jews.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
dawma88 said:
1) yes it was and the muslims won ! ( 2nd and 3rd crusades ), BTW it was a duty for the crusaders to kill jews/jewish villages along the way to battle, so u see everyone hates the jews

2) palestine owns the land...like even i knew that...the brits and french came, cut palestinian territory and gave it to the jews
uhh, for 1), i dont know if it was true or not, but i DO know that they lived peacefully amongst each other before the crusades.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
mr EaZy said:

Should these things be censored? I think not. Most media outlets would however avoid such things as they offend the readers, as (iirc) all Australian media outlets have avoided publishing the cartoons.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
suppose we had islam

and then we had atheism (and agnostics, humanists,)

both these two beliefs are at odds with each other - and then wat? kill each other? have these so called "tensions"? or never meet each other?

RUBBISH!

The Quran indirectly addresses you in the following chapter:

Surah 109. The Disbelievers, Atheists

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Say : O ye that reject Faith! (Al-kafirun- means disbeliever in Islam)

2. I worship not that which ye worship,

3. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.

4. And I will not worship that which ye are worshipping ,

5. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.

6. To you be your Way, and to me mine.

----------------------------------------------------
:
i can give yuo a dozen other parts that state the complete intolerance to anyone who rejects islam. which incourages violence.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Many Arab newspapers have condemned the new US law authorising the State Department to monitor anti-Semitism worldwide and produce annual reports critical of those countries where it is seen to be prevalent.

President George W Bush announced a few days ago that he had signed into law the bill authorising the US to rate countries on the way they treat Jews.
US President George W. Bush said he had signed into law a bill requiring the State Department to monitor global anti-Semitism and rate countries annually on their treatment of Jews. "This nation will keep watch; we will make sure that the ancient impulse of anti-Semitism never finds a home in the modern world," Bush said as he campaigned in the key battleground state of Florida. The state's Jewish population is the third largest in the world after Israel and New York.

Under the legislation, the State Department will have to produce an annual report on anti-Semitism around the world and form a specific office headed by a special envoy to document anti-Semitic abuses and design strategies to combat them.
It's not limiting their freedom or anything unless you're totally nuts :/

I really don't see your problem with this legislation.

i think the fact that they made a drawing of him sparked more emotion
Ok... that's a nice shift you've made there. Before you're claiming it's all because of the association with terrorism, now it's just that an imagine was made. If it's just that an image was published than I dun see what's special about this case - it also makes the muslim outrage even more ridiculous.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
The United Nations must pass binding resolutions obliging all countries to respect religions and religious symbols
What utter bullshit.
Seconded.

Edit: Of course, I would prefer to see people of all persuasions do all that they can to respect one another, but such respect must be genuine and freely expressed. There's nothing to be gained by the enforcement of a ridiculous set of resolutions in order to appease those who are easily offended, especially when such resolutions fly in the face of the very notion of freedom of expression/speech.

In saying this, I should point out that to respect another person isn't to say that you will not speak your mind - can you truly respect another person when you are forever walking on eggshells in order to avoid offending their sensibilities? If you truly respect another person (and if they truly respect you), the discussions that involve a clash of ideas such as is apparent at the current time would not be disrepectful or inflammatory, they would merely be robust.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)