• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
It's true, Christianity especially has changed greatly, particuarly in the reformation and renaissance period. Prior to this it had a lot in common with Islam in terms of backward-ness, unfortunately Islam has not undergone such a change.
yes. it is very unfortunate. Such a backwards religion can exist in the 21st century is a real scary thought

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
It's true, Christianity especially has changed greatly, particuarly in the reformation and renaissance period. Prior to this it had a lot in common with Islam in terms of backward-ness, unfortunately Islam has not undergone such a change.
It should be noted, thought, that Christianity, and in particular Catholicism, is still pretty backward.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Catholicism is a large part of the reason why so many people die of AIDS in Africa.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Christians have done it for years.

But now they have evolved and for the better. And the crusades and other disgraceful atrocities performed in the name of Christianity prove the relevance for an accountability of religion lest tyranny, in the form of religious doctrine, should arise. Muslims could learn a great deal from this.

Whoever said we can't swear in public should refer to magistrate pat O'Shane's comments about society not having standards. Anyway, foul language is not constructive, genuine and thought provoking criticism is!

And finally, I was reading the Telegraph (I feel ashamed to admit it) and some bloke wrote in a good letter: (This is not a direct quote but a general feel for his thoughts). Everytime a muslim terrorist attack occurs muslims are quick to blame it on radical elements and say that it does not reflect the whole of islam. Yet when a few people create cartoons islam tries to blame the whole country. Hypocrites.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
As much as I love beating on the catholic church, I'm not sure if they're exclusively to blame for this situation, though for sure, if they'd cut the shit they could do a lot to help.
I never said they were solely, or even principally, responsible. I said they were a large part of the problem.

HSC
withoutaface said:
I never said they were solely, or even principally, responsible. I said they were a large part of the problem.
Oh no, I didn't mean that, I was just thinking that even if the catholics did smarten up there'd still be problems with things like women not having the right to say no or insist that a condom is used (Like the article mentions).

We're all taking a much too narrow view of this, rather than singling out specific denominations, or religions for that matter, we need a worldwide jihad on morons.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Oh no, I didn't mean that, I was just thinking that even if the catholics did smarten up there'd still be problems with things like women not having the right to say no or insist that a condom is used (Like the article mentions).

We're all taking a much too narrow view of this, rather than singling out specific denominations, or religions for that matter, we need a worldwide jihad on morons.
You mean the plan otherwise known as "eliminate everyone but me"?

davin

HSC
N/A
i think thats the Muslims already claimed that plan

mazarina211

HSC
jus one thing that many have already added. get over it!!!!!

as many have said, jesus chrust has been attacked how much??????

everywhere u go, there is always something or someone mocking him, teasing him, whatever. and have u seen christians bomb places??? chuk hissie fits???? or even have a riot??? no---simply because u get over it. its a common thing.

so lets jus move on.. for gods sake move on people...move on

Zayd

HSC
All i would like to say is that alot of people in the world and here in Australia fail to understand the definition of "freedom of speech". If insulting 1.5 billion Muslims in the world can be classified as freedom of speech, by insulting the prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h), then how come when a muslim makes a statement saying "women are partly responsible for being raped because they show too much skin which is a form of attracting and inviting the oppisite sex" is not classified as freedom of speech. And as a result this person was publicly humiliated by Australians and the media. Why didnt anyone think of freedom of speech then? Why the double standards?

get_born

Zayd said:
All i would like to say is that alot of people in the world and here in Australia fail to understand the definition of "freedom of speech". If insulting 1.5 billion Muslims in the world can be classified as freedom of speech, by insulting the prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h), then how come when a muslim makes a statement saying "women are partly responsible for being raped because they show too much skin which is a form of attracting and inviting the oppisite sex" is not classified as freedom of speech. And as a result this person was publicly humiliated by Australians and the media. Why didnt anyone think of freedom of speech then? Why the double standards?
interesting question....anyone care to answer?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Zayd said:
how come when a muslim makes a statement saying "women are partly responsible for being raped because they show too much skin which is a form of attracting and inviting the oppisite sex" is not classified as freedom of speech. And as a result this person was publicly humiliated by Australians and the media. Why didnt anyone think of freedom of speech then? Why the double standards?
You have the freedom to say those kind of things, and the media has the freedom to tell you you're a deadset fucking cunt for saying them. What noone has the right to do, however, is burn down embassies and incite violence. The Jyllands Posten is being humiliated by the Arab media, where's the double standard?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Zayd said:
he is justifying that rape is ok and in a way incouraging it. This physicaly hurts women who are rape victims.

making a caricature of a long dead person in noway hurts anyone. If anything it shows the evident ofviolence in many muslim countries. but its not the cartoons fault for violence, its the muslims fault, for not being able to control their temper.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sasha you're missing the point. You are allowed to say these things, afaik.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)