• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
veterandoggy said:
its right to exist, not its right to ban muslims from living there peacefully.

i can almost foresee the next response, and no, im not sure if letting palestinians live freely in israel will make a difference anymore.
I think you'll find there are indeed Muslims living peacefully in Israel, and ironically with a much higher quality of life than those in neighbouring Muslim countries.

Is it just me, or does the BBC pump out a new article (with 90% the same content) on this issue every 10 minutes?

Tonight: The World, in Crisis.

davin

HSC
N/A
thats usually how it goes, really. news articles online don't change much because they just edit what they've got when theres new info

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Indeed, there have been blasphemy cases instituted against teachers for trying to explain to their students that the Prophet's parents could not have been Muslims for the simple reason that they died before the advent of Islam.
When you get religion dictating logic the results are ridiculous.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
ihavenothing said:
When you get religion dictating logic the results are ridiculous.
i dont get what you are playing at. hey werent muslims, but no one said whether or not they will be in heaven or not. they died without recieving some sort of divine guidance, similar to christians that died before the prophet came. islam replaces christianity but how can the christians that were living along the astray christianity be accounted if they never got the chance to straighten their path? we dont know whether or not people who didnt hear of the message will go to heaven. (this in a way also can be applied to the amazons, and maybe even the aborigines until the afghan merchants came here)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
The reality is the cartoons were completley insulting and discrimanitory. On something else, funnily they didnt say "two australian girls stabbed a taxi driver", instead it remained "two girls"- i wonder why?

OH, another example , " a middle eastern man raped a women", alongside "Australian ahamed saddati has come first in the world chess competition" - funny, why didnt they say " middle eastern ahamed came first in the chess comp", nope do anything gud you suddenly become australian, do anything bad ur not australian anymore - gay and sad!

heres more from smh:

I could exercise my right to freedom of speech by telling my children that their rooms are, as usual, a tip and they had better do something about it, or by asking the bloke down the road to stop his dog barking. I could, but I don't. Life's too short, and the outcome, in the main, is too predictable. Printing silly cartoons that were bound to upset some of the most volatile folk in the world is plain asking for trouble. It's not about losing our freedoms, just simply a matter of common sense.
yes common sense, i dont think danish peeps have any.

Printing insulting cartoons of the prophet Muhammad is being defended as the "freedom of the press". So, is that what "freedom of the press" really is? Is there a code of ethics and limitations in journalism? Are journalists free to publish anything they like? I thought freedom of the press, in simple terms, meant the press had the freedom to investigate and critically analyse and print anything of genuine public or national interest.

Producing and printing cartoons with the clear intention of insulting, hurting and offending others can't be argued as freedom of speech. This is really low.
very very low..
If a Muslim newspaper had published a derogatory cartoon that mocked Jesus, an Anzac and the Bali bombings (Letters, February 7), we probably wouldn't notice it. If it was brought to our attention by the media, we would likely be offended. However, I do not believe that we would burn down embassies, threaten suicide bombings and massacres, or demand censorship of the press. One or two of us would write letters to the Herald. Then we'd turn to the sports page
u still be offended, but being idiots u wont do anything..

davin

HSC
N/A
u still be offended, but being idiots u wont do anything..
so, if you don't threaten violence, but just ignore that which offends you, you're an idiot?

The reality is the cartoons were completley insulting and discrimanitory. On something else, funnily they didnt say "two australian girls stabbed a taxi driver", instead it remained "two girls"- i wonder why?
OH, another example , " a middle eastern man raped a women", alongside "Australian ahamed saddati has come first in the world chess competition" - funny, why didnt they say " middle eastern ahamed came first in the chess comp", nope do anything gud you suddenly become australian, do anything bad ur not australian anymore - gay and sad!
firstly, keep in mind that in crimes, the description may be given if the person hasn't been caught because then desriptions do matter. you seem to be mixing nationality and race.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
firstly, keep in mind that in crimes, the description may be given if the person hasn't been caught because then desriptions do matter. you seem to be mixing nationality and race.
nah u didnt what i get, most of the time the person is caught, and the same doesnt apply to "anglo saxons" - funny isnt it.

UM i am trying to make a point and u missed it. That same dude, won a chess comp and was deemed an aussie, but when he raped a women he not labelled as an aussie, but as an arab.
do you get it?- its called discrimanation, resulting in negative profiling of communities.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
HotShot said:
nah u didnt what i get, most of the time the person is caught, and the same doesnt apply to "anglo saxons" - funny isnt it.

UM i am trying to make a point and u missed it. That same dude, won a chess comp and was deemed an aussie, but when he raped a women he not labelled as an aussie, but as an arab.
do you get it?- its called discrimanation, resulting in negative profiling of communities.

You idiot. Whenever a suspect is just described as a twenty year old man or a fourteen year old girl it is assumed that they are white, since the majority is white.
Secondly, the gang rapes in Sydney were a race issue because the rapists made it so by calling theirt victims "Aussie sluts" etc.

davin

HSC
N/A
ooh...i didn't realise it was the same guy that was also a rapist.

there is some element to the point, byt then there is also that its really only certain groups that consier themselves ethnically first and nationality second.
the analogy i'd point out is that on an america-basis, the term african-american is used for people who have had ancestors in the country dating back 150 years or more, but someone whose grandparents came from europe would just be called white or american.
the point just works better here because the whole hyphenated term thing being so prevalently used.

would the average arab in australia, if asked to catagorise themselves, first say australian, or first say arab, or mention their religion?

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
i think ur jumbled up words, cos it doesnt make sense.
i was questioning your comment saying that people would be idiots if they were offended but NOT acting like the islamic protesters are

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
would the average arab in australia, if asked to catagorise themselves, first say australian, or first say arab, or mention their religion?
I think they would call themselves australian, if the media didnt single them out.

You idiot. Whenever a suspect is just described as a twenty year old man or a fourteen year old girl it is assumed that they are white, since the majority is white.
Secondly, the gang rapes in Sydney were a race issue because the rapists made it so by calling theirt victims "Aussie sluts" etc.
Its wrong to be discriminatory regardless of the situation. You know as result of this discrimination, it has most likely the probable reason ffor the cronulla riots. BY using "middle easterm", "arab" etc, ur generalising and thus proclaiming the entire community is like that, which is completely wrong.

Either the media should abolish this, or be equal. Its not majority of the population, its way to discriminate. ITs not necessary to say "middle eastern", if they are australian. Australian are australians regardless of colour or appearance.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
i was questioning your comment saying that people would be idiots if they were offended but NOT acting like the islamic protesters are
DOnt invovle the islamic protestors, there is way to protest, but obviosly the dickheads rioting, dont know how.

davin

HSC
N/A
Its wrong to be discriminatory regardless of the situation. You know as result of this discrimination, it has most likely the probable reason ffor the cronulla riots. BY using "middle easterm", "arab" etc, ur generalising and thus proclaiming the entire community is like that, which is completely wrong.
this is also why you shouldn't have called the chess champion arab, as not all chess champions are arab. right?

again, it would depend on the given article, but to say one article really is weak
also, i would like to point out this case of discrimation against New Zealand: "THE New Zealand man accused of killing Sydney woman Janelle Patton will be extradited to Norfolk Island to be charged with her murder."

also, why then should they mention the gender of criminals? is that not ALSO a generalisation, then?

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
DOnt invovle the islamic protestors, there is way to protest, but obviosly the dickheads rioting, dont know how.
ah, of course, how dare i refer to islamic posters when responding to your comment in which you quoted the following, all the while in a thread about the controversy caused by islamic protesters. foolish me being off topic
If a Muslim newspaper had published a derogatory cartoon that mocked Jesus, an Anzac and the Bali bombings (Letters, February 7), we probably wouldn't notice it. If it was brought to our attention by the media, we would likely be offended. However, I do not believe that we would burn down embassies, threaten suicide bombings and massacres, or demand censorship of the press. One or two of us would write letters to the Herald. Then we'd turn to the sports page
nope, the islamic protesters weren't involved at all in the discussion till i forced them into it

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
this is also why you shouldn't have called the chess champion arab, as not all chess champions are arab. right?

again, it would depend on the given article, but to say one article really is weak
also, i would like to point out this case of discrimation against New Zealand: "THE New Zealand man accused of killing Sydney woman Janelle Patton will be extradited to Norfolk Island to be charged with her murder."

also, why then should they mention the gender of criminals? is that not ALSO a generalisation, then?
it is a generalisation, dont need to know its a women or not. (u can work it out in the name)..

The point is the newspapers either should generalise everything or generalise nothing, Be equal - isnt tat what australia is all about.

davin

HSC
N/A
it is a generalisation, dont need to know its a women or not. (u can work it out in the name)..
so we don't need to know the chess champion is arab, cuz we can work it out from the name

though this enters some of the ethical questions taht get dealt with in journalism...another example being how its a journalistic standard to not give the names of rape victims, which has become especially tricky in some past cases. example, i know of a case where two girls were kidnapped, it was all over the news, when the girls were found it came up they were raped, and the much of the media stopped using the names altogether at taht point even though they were alraedy known by that point

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
so we don't need to know the chess champion is arab, cuz we can work it out from the name

though this enters some of the ethical questions taht get dealt with in journalism...another example being how its a journalistic standard to not give the names of rape victims, which has become especially tricky in some past cases. example, i know of a case where two girls were kidnapped, it was all over the news, when the girls were found it came up they were raped, and the much of the media stopped using the names altogether at taht point even though they were alraedy known by that point
the main point is the inconsistency of the papers. anything that is gud is deemed australian, while if its bad its labelled arab middle eastern etc.

Bennett88

Club Sandwiches not Seals
HSC
or 'unaustralian'

pfft, almost like we 'australia' hold the moral high ground

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)