multiple choice answers (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
JosephW said:
The answer is C:burn:

Organism's temperature lower than cage = homeostasis maintaining low temperature. Nuff said
But D is factually the correct observations for an ectotherm. (I did select C)

JosephW

HSC
dolbinau said:
But D is factually the correct observations for an ectotherm. (I did select C)
Based on the question, it was a science class observing an organism. I dont know about your school but I dont think school's have the resources to 'observe' an increased metabolism. On the other hand, I can not see anything wrong with C. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

dolbinau

HSC
I feel the same way. But I don't think the BOS would have a trick like that. I do hope it's C though lol.

Takuto

HSC
JosephW said:

Organism's temperature lower than cage = homeostasis maintaining low temperature. Nuff said
how does that prove anything.. it could be an ectotherm

as cage rises, ectotherm begins to rise

but ectotherm is still lower than the cage

btw, the ectotherm could be like 1 degree below the cage. its a shit conclusion to make lol

also remember, the observation is already correct.. read the question again. you dont need to question the validity of the observation.. so the fact that you cant observe metabolism isnt important

it only asks you to find the correct conclusion that matches the observation

Last edited:

j-3-s-5

HSC
This could be way off...

but. With ectotherms if environment rises, our body temp starts to rise but then receptors detect it and initiate a response to lower it. although our metabolism decreases with increased temp, so i'm probably wrong anyway lol. just a thought.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
yeah, thats what i thought too. keeping body temp lower than the environment - endotherm
but i didnt know anything bout ectotherms and metabolism
hooray for the incompetence at my school

Takuto

HSC
source 1 = ‘when ectotherms increase their body temperature using the external environment, their metabolism increases as well’ (Grolier,1996). ...

source 2 = Ectotherms depend largely on external sources of heat, such as solar radiation. As the environmental temperature increases, the animal's metabolic rate will increase. Lizards, fish, and amphibians are examples of ectotherms.

source 3 = Attached: Graph of metabolism of an ectotherm

lol

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
ok cool. thanks for explaining it
i seriously learnt nothing in bio. except why the sky is blue
thank god for bos

HSC
Takuto said:
source 1 = ‘when ectotherms increase their body temperature using the external environment, their metabolism increases as well’ (Grolier,1996). ...

source 2 = Ectotherms depend largely on external sources of heat, such as solar radiation. As the environmental temperature increases, the animal's metabolic rate will increase. Lizards, fish, and amphibians are examples of ectotherms.

source 3 = Attached: Graph of metabolism of an ectotherm

lol
I don't doubt the well researched facts you presented that should be common knowledge to everyone in the biology course.

My arguement is in the wording of the question as both C, D are factually correct.

Takuto

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
I don't doubt the well researched facts you presented that should be common knowledge to everyone in the biology course.

My arguement is in the wording of the question as both C, D are factually correct.
can you explain why c is correct, and not an ectotherm?

ectotherms also have their temperature lower than the ambient environment lol

Last edited:
HSC
Takuto said:
As the environmental temperature increases, the animal's metabolic rate will increase.
Meaning that the ectotherm increases with amient temperature. As the animal is in a cage it cannot regulate its body temp by burring or finding shade ect. It's temp will then have to increase with the temp of the cage. So for an organism to have a lower temperature it must be regulating it its self.

Last edited:

Takuto

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
So for an organism to have a lower temperature it must be regulating it its self.
no, a lower temperature doesnt mean its an endotherm

ectotherms always have temperatures lower than the 'cage'

it takes a while for ectothermic temperature to start to increase, and even then, it will not reach or surpass the ambient

HSC
So for an organism to have a lower temperature it must be regulating it its self.
C is only correct if we know that the temperature of the cage is over their normal temperature (i.e. 37 for mammals). an answer based on an 'if' is clearly not an answer when there is another answer that is correct no matter what (the metabolism part, i believe the BoS would assume that as common sense).

therefore, D.

PantherZ

HSC
JosephW said:

The evidence given is inconclusive. Homeostasis operates to maintain the organism's core temperature at a certain point.

You seem to assume cage temperature is relatively high.

What if the cage temp is low? Shouldn't homeostasis work to maintain it at a higher temperature?

Hence, the BETTER, more CONCLUSIVE answer would be D.

DA15Y

HSC
well i answered D, i mean u wouldnt know what the cage temp is anyway, coz endotherm's body temp should stay the same no matter what the environment temp is, but on the other hand, ectotherm's body temp changes with the environment temp.

by the way, did anyone know who Frank Macfarlane Burnet was? We never even learn about him in class!!!

Last edited:

Takuto

HSC
DA15Y said:
well i answered D, i mean u wouldnt know what the cage temp is anyway, coz endotherm's body temp should stay the same no matter what the environment temp is, but on the other hand, ectotherm's body temp changes with the environment temp.

by the way, did anyone know who Frank Macfarlane Burnet was? We never even learn about him in class!!!
hehe, dw, they do that on purpose

ur not meant to learn about him.. hes only on the dot point heading

ur supposed to eliminate the other scientists, they make it obvious for you

PantherZ

HSC
Takuto said:
hehe, dw, they do that on purpose

ur not meant to learn about him.. hes only on the dot point heading

ur supposed to eliminate the other scientists, they make it obvious for you
They had it in 2 previous exam papers. Looks like someone didn't do many past papers.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
DA15Y said:

D would be correct.

let the animal be a snake...

temp increases. what does snake do to reduce temp? hmm less active? hides in shade?

oh wait, how tf can it be less active in a cage!? and hide in the shade..of a cage? :S

so, it has nothing to do but sit on its ass and absorb the dam heat. so therefore its temp increases.

has to be D.

EDIT: should have paid more attention to your syllabus lol. dot point 5 i think of SFBH..

Last edited:

cccclaire

HSC
It's simple.

If you take a snake out of a fridge and put it in an oven, and measure it's temperature 1 minute later it will still be lower than the temperature of the oven.

Therefor C is incorrect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)