Multiple Choice Answers (1 Viewer)

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
elisabeth said:
It's D.

An organism can't just change its characteristics to suit its current environment - that's a Lamarkian view. Imagine, they'd change everytime it rains (bad example, but maybe valid).

Why do they look alike? The question states they're NOT closely related. What's a logical reason for both having those little claws? Well, they're suited for digging, hey? In a burrowing, underground environment, that's an advantage, no matter whether you're in Europe or Australia.

It's an example of convergent evolution, where organisms evolve similar structures to suit their similar environments. Remember the other example of sharks/dolphins? One's a fish, the other a mammal, so not closely related, but a streamlined shape is an advantage in an aquatic environment so they both evolved that way to suit their env.
nice work hun... i agree :D

nina12

HSC
ok, ok,i guess u make a valid point. we will see. i still like my answer tho. i did have d, but i changed it in the last few minutes.

pigman13

HSC
I guess we will see when the results are put on the net, ask your teachers...they will say it was D.

nina12

HSC
if u had met my teacher you wuldnt say that. i cum from a small skool n our class only has 8ppl n our bio teach is a physics teach and he knows nufin bout bio. all our notes this year have been copied and pasted from the internet.

Kyroth***

HSC
With the moles, also remember that the aussie one is only called a mole because the europeans who came here first thought it looked like one. It gives the species and genus, too, and states that one is placental, the other marsupial. So its NOT one comming here and adapting to suit a new environment, cause u couldn't change that much in <200 years!

nina12

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
With the moles, also remember that the aussie one is only called a mole because the europeans who came here first thought it looked like one. It gives the species and genus, too, and states that one is placental, the other marsupial. So its NOT one comming here and adapting to suit a new environment, cause u couldn't change that much in <200 years!
w-w-w-w-what? that makes no sense 2 me, call me stupid if you like

e_mccaig

Yay

SmileyCam said:
1 B
2 C
3 A
4 B
5 A
6 C
7 C
8 B
9 D
10 C
11 B
12 D
13 B
14 A
15 D

anyone disagree?
Yay i think i only got one wrong, i got all confused about question 8, he he woops i said c, now that i think about it why woul health authorities care if no one drank it? ahh well it's over!

stu_jacks88

Its D becuase

1. the question says 'explain how these animals can be used to illustrate DARWIN/WALLACE'S theory of evolution by natural selection and isolation'. AN ORGANISM CHOOSING TO CHANGE ITS BEHAVIOUR TO SUIT ITS ENVIRONMENT IS NOT EVOLUTION. Example, the world floods, elephants aren't just going to survive by choosing to swim, they will have to EVOLVE and develope gills, fins, etc. Woah, that example suks but u get the picture.

2. D is an example of Darwin and Wallace's theory, i.e. convergeant evolution, although they are different species and are in different parts of the world, they have evolved in the same way due to their similar environments. Much like the dolphin and shark; not the same species, but look the same due to the evolutionary convergeance that has occured due to living in the ocean. C is not an exaple of darwin and wallace's theory, as said by others b4, thats a Lamarkian view.

3. Your wrong.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Steven88 said:
not sure if these are right.. post ur answers n compare.. :p

1) b
2) c
3) a
4) b
5) a
6) c
7) c
8) b
9) d
10) c
11) b
12) d
13) b
14) a
15) d
WHOA!! all the same as you, but i got 12 and 13 wrong. HAHAH ive never scored so high in multiple choice!!

haejin

always_smile said:
Sorry. Question 15 is c not d. Because the environment of europe and australia are not similar thus they cannot develop similar characteristics. That is what my teacher said anyway. Another thing he said was that the question said that they were not closely related. This does not mean that they were not related. I really dont know the answer could be c or d.
No, C refers to Lamark's theory.
Its definatly D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I am willing to have a try at the Multiple Choice if someone could scan the paper and post it up. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
always_smile said:
Sorry. Question 15 is c not d. Because the environment of europe and australia are not similar thus they cannot develop similar characteristics. That is what my teacher said anyway. Another thing he said was that the question said that they were not closely related. This does not mean that they were not related. I really dont know the answer could be c or d.
I think the answer is D.

When you compare two species, you look at their immediate ecological niches, not the continent as a whole. Their environmental niches, suggested by the question, are very similar, such as burrowing underground. Therefore, both organism require similar morphology, such as claws for digging burrows etc, to adapt to their environments. Hence displaying convergent evolution.

<<White Ghost>>

Professional Gigolo
HSC
I'm just saying . . .why is everyone spazzing out about 1 mark in multi choice. . . please don't hurt me!

frootloop

HSC
My comments on multiple choice:

I got one wrong- damn question 12! I didn't read it properly and didn't realise that 'solutes' is the complete opposite of water. My bad. I figured that osmosis is diffusion but with water molecules. Ocmosis is just specifically for water, but it is a form of diffusion. (I know I know. Tautology is bad but it reinforces my point).

Question 15 is definately d! I am 100% sure. It's the only one that makes sense. Everyone's arguments for choosing (d) for 15 in this thread are valid. Go read them again and have another think if you're not convinced.

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
looks like about 14/15 for me....bloody qu 12, my teacher nearly killed me for making such a silly mistake.

hope everyone went well :)

SGS05

HSC
Hey what was the answer for the modern term for mendels factors?
I thoguht genes weere the closest answers but the proper answer should be alleles. Someone else might have asked already but i cbfed reading over however many page thsai thread is... osrry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)