Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
13 has to be D. If we accept the premise that the writing on the cup means nothing and is simply a trick, then the cup could be made from either PE or polystyrene (polystyrene cups are very popular). It would hence seem that this would mean A and B are correct, which cannot be the case. However, if we think logically and use the writing on the cup, it can be seen that ONLY cellulose is a renewable creation made from plants. Hence, D is the correct answer.
Well said

Makematics

HSC
what's the answer for 17? i got B using c1v1=c2v2...
can someone explain 12? luckily i guessed B haha

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
what's the answer for 17? i got B using c1v1=c2v2...
can someone explain 12? luckily i guessed B haha
17 is B

For 12 look at the standard potential sheet and you'll see Zn is higher than Cl so it's oxidising. AnOx so Zn must be the anode. That's how I did it anyway

Makematics

HSC
17 is B

For 12 look at the standard potential sheet and you'll see Zn is higher than Cl so it's oxidising. AnOx so Zn must be the anode. That's how I did it anyway
oh it's that easy? thats why i put B but i didnt really get why chlorine would act as an electrode

leesh95

HSC
Surely there was a purpose to the writing on the cup? Otherwise why won't they just give a simple cup and ask you what it was made of?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Surely there was a purpose to the writing on the cup? Otherwise why won't they just give a simple cup and ask you what it was made of?
If answer wasn't D, then it could have been used to trick students I guess (which I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate doing).

bedpotato

HSC
Well yes but the Pt is inert? So the cl would essentially be the cathode/anode?
chlorine is being reduced at the cathode, but the actual electrode isn't 'made of' cl. Pt is used as the electrode because it's inert, and won't get attacked by chlorine.

Makematics

HSC
If answer wasn't D, then it could have been used to trick students I guess (which I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate doing).
actually they would hesitate to trick students. they dont really put trick questions in that much, especially not in the MC.
Besides, can someone explain how option D is wrong in any way? i really think you guys are overthinking it.

bangladesh

HSC
actually they would hesitate to trick students. they dont really put trick questions in that much, especially not in the MC.
Besides, can someone explain how option D is wrong in any way? i really think you guys are overthinking it.
I personally think D is wrong because I have never heard of any cup being made from PURE cellulose.
Hence why i chose A.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think this was a very tricky question. Polyethylene can be made from plant material as well!
I picked a because you can't actually make cups from cellulose. But i might just be over thinking this.
I'd still stick to a as an answer tho.
You need to realise the context that it is put in. Do you think a plastic cup would say "made from plants" on it? Probably not.

Answer is D.

I personally think D is wrong because I have never heard of any cup being made from PURE cellulose.
Hence why i chose A.
Paper is made of mostly cellulose.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
so many people put 17 as A.
But the thing is this is not a disassociation. It's just a neutralization reaction to produce salt.

I put down as B. Still believe it's B, but who knows
You are definitely correct. 17 is definitely B.

Galactic Jam

HSC
The question didn't specify that the cup was made purely from one material for q13. It just asked for the one that most likely to be used in the manufacture of the cup.

bangladesh

HSC
You need to realise the context that it is put in. Do you think a plastic cup would say "made from plants" on it? Probably not.

Answer is D.

Paper is made of mostly cellulose.

ahhhh... but.. but... *starts sobbing*

nah jks Still pretty happy with 19/20

Makematics

HSC
For 17 answer is greater than the volume as strong acids completely ionise and weak do not so it will continue to ionise as it is being titrated, requiring more volume to neutralise than the strong acid (i am 100% sure)
17 is definitely B.
@AfkForSoR, next time please think more before you waltz in here and boldly state you are 100% sure. I don't think you understand how percentages work, my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)