Music 1 Scaling (1 Viewer)

Sammi B

HSC
I was wondering if any one could help me....I'm in Year 11 doing Music 1 at a school which doesnt offer music 2 and I'm worried about scaling for this subject. I wanna get a UAI of about 98.5 and I'm worried that I'm gonna have to be some sort of freak of nature to get it while doing Music 1. I've been playing piano for about 11 yrs and I'm studying 7th grade atm, but I've heard the scaling sux for Music 1. Can anyone help please?????

Thanks
Sam:)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Put simply, if you're gonna do well in Music 1 you'd better do REALLY well.

Sofstar

HSC
Scaling wise....i don't know.

From your 11 years of playing, im sure you'll be fine in music 1. If you're still not sure, talk to a music teacher at school.

jest

HSC
my friend did music last year and it scaled him down really bad

nothinghello

HSC
N/A
It's scales about on the same level as English advanced I think, but Music 2 is scaled A LOT higher

steban

violin dude
HSC
music 1 does NOT have a similar scaling to english advance im sure, compared to the english however, i think its slightly better than english standard...

i do music 2, but i know of many who are in your position, its really not a hard course, get your concepts of music memorized and know them well, because thats what most of the exam is about i think, for music 1

i also play piano, they dont have to know what grade you are, even if you play a grade 3 piece, play it well, with passion, minimal errors, and in a sense that you know what you are playing, it always helps to read the notes on the board of studies site :>

Sammi B

HSC
See here's the thing i have the world's worst teacher for music at school. She can barely speak english, is forever changing her mind about assessments and is so disorganised its not funny. No matter how much I complain to the school about her they dont listen. Even though people have done well at my school none of them have ever gotten the UAI im hoping to get. Can someone tell me basically what is involved in the course coz she is pathetic and wont do anything for me. All she cares about is performance, and if anone who did really well in this could tell me how they did that would be good.

Thanks again

steban

violin dude
HSC
listen to a wide variety of music, and try to note down the use of the concepts of music, i know in my school the main focus now is duration, so they identify time signitures, tempo etc, and do this but with all the concepts of music, i think thats pretty much what the music 1 course involves.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Sammi B said:
I was wondering if any one could help me....I'm in Year 11 doing Music 1 at a school which doesnt offer music 2 and I'm worried about scaling for this subject. I wanna get a UAI of about 98.5 and I'm worried that I'm gonna have to be some sort of freak of nature to get it while doing Music 1. I've been playing piano for about 11 yrs and I'm studying 7th grade atm, but I've heard the scaling sux for Music 1. Can anyone help please?????

Thanks
You've got to be kidding! i have been stressing out about the same problem as you because my school doesnt offer music 2 as well
(lol thats good to know that im not alone)
i was thinking of changing music 1 and taking music 2 at tafe (im not sure if thats possible though i heard that you could do subjects that your school doesnt offer at tafe.) but i think its a bit too late to change now. But i guess if you have been playing piano for 11yrs you should be fine :) .
But how are you going in music 1 anyways?

♥ nessa

Sammi B

HSC
ness.xox said:
You've got to be kidding! i have been stressing out about the same problem as you because my school doesnt offer music 2 as well
(lol thats good to know that im not alone)
i was thinking of changing music 1 and taking music 2 at tafe (im not sure if thats possible though i heard that you could do subjects that your school doesnt offer at tafe.) but i think its a bit too late to change now. But i guess if you have been playing piano for 11yrs you should be fine :) .
But how are you going in music 1 anyways?

♥ nessa

haha no no trust me ur not alone. pretty much all my friends have the same problem too. well atm, im going pretty well i came first for my half yrly so i was pretty happy with that. but my teacher stresses me we r pretty much on our own as far as our work and stuff goes. she finds a way to make pretty much every lesson a practical so we have virtually no time on all the other stuff. i actually taught the class last w for a lesson on aural...or as she called it a "demonstration". and she has a habit of playing favourites which isnt that great either. how bout u? how u goin in music 1? wot instrument do u play?

about tafe....i didnt really think u could do music 2 at tafe. i asked bout doin it by correspondence but the cost was enormous and plus it would be too time consuming. but if tafes an option go 4 it.

good luck
sam

Sammi B

HSC
trying to re open this discussion again...

here are my other subjects:

physics
eng adv
mathematics
french
chemistry (already completed as an accelerated student - i got 92)
philosophy distinction course (ive heard this is ridiculously good for ur uai)

and of course music 1.

from ppl that have already completed their hsc, can u guys tell me if there is a possibility that with this subject combo that me taking music 1 wont be such a big deal? (if my uai aim is 98-99)

~kiki

HSC
Sammi B said:
trying to re open this discussion again...

here are my other subjects:

physics
eng adv
mathematics
french
chemistry (already completed as an accelerated student - i got 92)
philosophy distinction course (ive heard this is ridiculously good for ur uai)

and of course music 1.

from ppl that have already completed their hsc, can u guys tell me if there is a possibility that with this subject combo that me taking music 1 wont be such a big deal? (if my uai aim is 98-99)
you should play around with SAM for abit-- estimate what you think/ hope you will achieve in each of these subjects (make these estimates as realistic as possible) and see what kind of uai you are looking at. Then try moving certain marks up and down and see how this will affect your UAI. This way you know what to focus on and get an idea of how you can improve your chances of a 98.5 UAI. I would also consider sussing out where your school sits in the state and whether the moderating of marks will be to your advantage or disadvantage. If you find your school is ranking badly then it is very important that you rank highly in each of your subjects so that the moderating won't affect you as badly as it will affect students who get in the low or middle range. Speak to your friends from other schools and gather the difficulty level of your assessments in comparison to theirs. Also, compare the standard of the questions you receive in various assessments with past HSC papers and decide whether you think your schools assessments meet this standard, are higher or are at a comparitively lower standard. Unfortunately the system makes for alot of anxiety and doubt when it comes to gauging what your uai will be -- these are just some ways to find out where you stand and how hard you need to work.

* forgot to add-- in terms of your subject selection, I think with some hard work you are very likely to achieve your aim. Don't worry so much about the scaling of subjects. My friend did English advanced, German beginners, Visual Arts, Textiles and Design and Biology, all subjects, with the exception of english advanced, that supposedly scale badly, and she got 98.35. Having said that she does go to a selective school.

Last edited:

dwatt

HSC
i did music 1
adv eng
chem
physics
mathematics and scored 99.25 it can be done i had a very high music 1 mark tho

Sammi B

HSC
thanks for all that stuff... very helpful.

i have ranked first in music for 4 yrs and my average mark is bout 95-96 over those 4 yrs. i do rank pretty highly in all my other subjects - im in the top five for each of them this yr just past.

dont stop posting...anything else is still appreciated!!! :)

p.s. thanks particularly to kiki - alot of time went into that reply

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Scaling is going to be tough, but keep on top of your assessments and all you can do now is try you best. If you're major works for the HSC is Performance, then make sure you practice your piece every day over and over and over again until you can hear it in your sleep. If you're doing composition, keep polishing at it so the marker can HEAR the amount of effort you had put in. If you're doing a Viva, make sure you know your techniques and be very prepared for any questions; get people/tutors/teachers to question you with anything that may pop up on the spot.

lil dynamyt

HSC
Sammi B said:
i have ranked first in music for 4 yrs and my average mark is bout 95-96 over those 4 yrs. i do rank pretty highly in all my other subjects - im in the top five for each of them this yr just past.
Scaling for music 1 isnt too great, but if you score in the 90s, you should be fine. I got 95 for music 1 and got a uai of 91.7 where my other subjects were band 4, 5 and 6. Reading the subjects you do, i am sure you will be able to get 98-99. Chemistry scales really well and is the best scaler out of all the sciences, and since you got a band 6 that wud help heaps. Also that distinction course you do would scale heaps well...just aim to get at least band 5s and u shud be fine!

bored of sc

HSC
Same as anything - if you do good in it it shouldn't be a disadvantage

a guy at my school last year did music 1 and got a UAI of 98.something (second highest in our school), he also did drama

but mind you he was an all rounder and did extension english and maths too

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Same as anything - if you do good in it it shouldn't be a disadvantage

a guy at my school last year did music 1 and got a UAI of 98.something (second highest in our school), he also did drama

but mind you he was an all rounder and did extension english and maths too
The best mark you could get from music 1 in the state was 47.7/50 (as a scaled mark) last year.

Scaling is poor but if you perform well, the rewards are bound to be great.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I ranked first in music for 4 years too. :D I didn't choose it because I didn't think i could get 97+ in it though.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
I ranked first in music for 4 years too. :D I didn't choose it because I didn't think i could get 97+ in it though.
Music 2 has got really good scaling if that's what you were worried about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)