• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Musical frustration (3 Viewers)

philphie

Banned
HSC
Get Sibelius. :p

Hire a piano tuner?

Aw, there there.

For me, well, I kinda lost interest in cello a few years ago. Don't really want to finish 8th grade cello after HSC either... :(
editing on sibelius pisses me off so bad. i am too cheap for a piano tuner lol and please finish 8th grade so i can listen to you play bach's cello suites and Boccherini

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
editing on sibelius pisses me off so bad. i am too cheap for a piano tuner lol and please finish 8th grade so i can listen to you play bach's cello suites and Boccherini
Tried Finale?

Still annoying, but not as bad in some areas lol.

philphie

Banned
HSC
yeah hate both, but if it was something for school i'd use finale

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah see I don't think it's that easy to completely sight read that entire first movement.
But then again I'm not that great with sight reading and you may be at a higher grade than I am.
What grade are you?

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
What grade are you?
I've only completed up to Trinity level 4 about two years ago then took time off from piano exams because of prelim/HSC. I still went to lessons but I spent the most part of the past year and a half learning my HSC pieces (I played the Theme from Schindler's List, La Valse D'Amelie and 1st Gnossienne).

jet

Banned
HSC
I've only completed up to Trinity level 4 about two years ago then took time off from piano exams because of prelim/HSC. I still went to lessons but I spent the most part of the past year and a half learning my HSC pieces (I played the Theme from Schindler's List, La Valse D'Amelie and 1st Gnossienne).
Ahk. Not bad. Valse D'Amelie is an extremely popular HSC piece.

Cinnamonster

HSC
Ahk. Not bad. Valse D'Amelie is an extremely popular HSC piece.
I only played it because I couldn't be bothered with The Bells of Notre Dame, heh. Notre Dame would have been incredibly impressive had I been bothered but after arranging the piece to fit within the time limit and getting five pages in I gave up and settled for Amelie.
That and it's really beautiful. My viva voce was about La Valse d'Amelie too actually.

jet

Banned
HSC
I only played one piece for the HSC. Was very frustrating to learn. Besides the fact that air-con stuffed up the action in the brand new baby grand and it was nearly stuffed.

Add to that an absolute idiot of a teacher. We spent 2 terms mindmapping the concepts instead of doing our theory work because someone asked him for a summary sheet of them. He did a 20minute viva with someone because he's silly, and only asked her about historical information, no musicology at all.

Add to that he actually conducts the vocalists in the school ensemble with a baton. I was laughing at him when he was. Even though he was standing 1 metre from them and probably nearly took their eyes out.

He never went around the class during practical lessons and just sat at his desk complaining that youtube was blocked.

Worst year musically of my life. But also the best in other respects.

Cinnamonster

HSC
Whoa. That sounds terrible. Is two terms on the concepts an exaggeration or not? Because that's just ridiculous.
And I would like to bet that despite all of that you probably did really well in Music though.
And what piece did you play?

We only had two music students in our grade. Not a very popular subject, haha. But I pretty much refused to do my HSC without music. I actually learnt heaps last year and really improved.

jet

Banned
HSC
No exaggeration. I'm completely serious. It was his first year of teaching after 10 years in the Army. Did a BMus to qualify for army band. Then transferred to reserves and did a DipEd.

I played Etude Op. 4 No. 3 by Karol Szymanowski. Took me ages to get perfect.

philphie

Banned
HSC
No exaggeration. I'm completely serious. It was his first year of teaching after 10 years in the Army. Did a BMus to qualify for army band. Then transferred to reserves and did a DipEd.

I played Etude Op. 4 No. 3 by Karol Szymanowski. Took me ages to get perfect.
i think i know your teacher, he was a student teacher at my school for a short period this year. what's his name?

philphie

Banned
HSC
I only played one piece for the HSC. Was very frustrating to learn. Besides the fact that air-con stuffed up the action in the brand new baby grand and it was nearly stuffed.

Add to that an absolute idiot of a teacher. We spent 2 terms mindmapping the concepts instead of doing our theory work because someone asked him for a summary sheet of them. He did a 20minute viva with someone because he's silly, and only asked her about historical information, no musicology at all.

Add to that he actually conducts the vocalists in the school ensemble with a baton. I was laughing at him when he was. Even though he was standing 1 metre from them and probably nearly took their eyes out.

He never went around the class during practical lessons and just sat at his desk complaining that youtube was blocked.

Worst year musically of my life. But also the best in other respects.

lol at humidity problems. and cut the guy some slack, he wants to feel like a wizard. lol blocked youtube, what a lazyfuck

philphie

Banned
HSC
does he have greyish hair or something and did he play brass in the army band? the name sounds extremely familiar. yes i think it's the same person

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah that's him. Really really tall.

Arctopus

HSC
Man, my music teacher was awesome. If people were being annoying in class he'd just point out their lack of musical ability.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Man, my music teacher was awesome. If people were being annoying in class he'd just point out their lack of musical ability.
Haha. Sounds like my teacher.

My music teacher had already had a life on the road in a big band as any role you could think of from being on front trombone to band manager. He was also a very proficient piano player.

He was interested in psychology, and used his understanding of it to make it as easy for us to learn as possible.

He was also very ADD so on his off days, the lessons were really fun haha.

jet

Banned
HSC
lololol i hated that guy, what a douche!!!!!!!!!! what school is this
Now you understand where I'm coming from. Everyone was a "friend of his". :p

Trinity Catholic College, Auburn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)