What is 1+1

notme123

HSC
Let

Let

Ill save the partial fractions working.

Drawing up a triangle we find:

So:

I could have very easily made a mistake whether in latex or just trying to evaluate to integral so let me know if you find any
with the s sub why when differentiated sin is negative cos

notme123

HSC
Pretend you didnt see that ;). Also yes rookie mistake and fixed.
It's ok it's amazing you even were able to get to that point. I saw another one but I think I may be wrong because you and vern got to the same point but also the first sub why is the differential of tan -sec squared
Dw you fixed it

Qeru

HSC
It's ok it's amazing you even were able to get to that point. I saw another one but I think I may be wrong because you and vern got to the same point but also the first sub why is the differential of tan -sec squared
Dw you fixed it
Yeah honestly don't know what I was thinking, ironically the final answer is correct since the two negatives (which were both mistakes) cancel out.

notme123

HSC
Yeah honestly don't know what I was thinking, ironically the final answer is correct since the two negatives (which were both mistakes) cancel out.
You're invincible at maths. Even when you make mistakes it's not really a mistake and works out in your favor.

notme123

HSC
Yeah everything is good till the last step when you have to convert the u to a w so you will get a square root again.
i just gave up at the end cuz i knew it was gonna look ugly
actually i couldve subbed in w = tanv or something

Qeru

HSC
i just gave up at the end cuz i knew it was gonna look ugly
actually i couldve subbed in w = tanv or something
Yep and you would have got what Vern and I got. The sub does your two subs in one.

Qeru

HSC
Just a question. The standard way to do this integral seems to look like a page of working at least.
Any short ways?
After looking at my working I found a big brain substitution:

Which gets you straight to:

so you can go partial fractions straight away.

stupid_girl

HSC
N/A
It's not too hard to get the antiderivative in terms of elementary function...but the evil is in the substitution of upper and lower limits.😈

vernburn

HSC
It's not too hard to get the antiderivative in terms of elementary function...but the evil is in the substitution of upper and lower limits.😈
Finding the antiderivative is very easy using a t-sub. I've shown a different way the antiderivative can be found below:

Now to evaluate the definite integral. The integrand is periodic (with segments ...0~, ~,...) and the antiderivative is periodic (with segments ...~, ~...). Note that we cannot just plug in the bounds due to this periodicity. In fact, it is only "safe" to integrate within ...~, ~...
Thus we can split the bounds into three regions: to , to (which we will treat as 1009 lots of 0 to by symmetry) and to .

Plugging all this into the antiderivative yields:

(This ignores all the shenanigans with limits going on.)

I hope this explains my thinking thoroughly enough - a lot of this is intuitive but hard to communicate.

Last edited:

stupid_girl

HSC
N/A
Periodicity is not the cause of this trouble. If you integrate cos x, then you get sin x which is periodic. However, the substitution still works as usual.

The cause of this trouble is a different constant of integration at different intervals.

Instead of +c for all real numbers, you actually have +c0 for -pi<=x<=pi, +c1 for pi<=x<=3pi, +c2 for 3pi<=x<=5pi, etc.

vernburn

HSC
Periodicity is not the cause of this trouble. If you integrate cos x, then you get sin x which is periodic. However, the substitution still works as usual.

The cause of this trouble is a different constant of integration at different intervals.

Instead of +c for all real numbers, you actually have +c0 for -pi<=x<=pi, +c1 for pi<=x<=3pi, +c2 for 3pi<=x<=5pi, etc.
Ok, thanks for the insight!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A

Actually, the function

has a period of and its domain and range are

In other words,

and, more generally,

It is also symmetric about , and so

It thus follows that

So, I conclude that @vernburn is correct assuming that the integral (which I didn't check) is correct.

The problem arises because the inverse tan function can only return an angle between and .

Last edited:

tito981

HSC
This is the 2021 integration marathon thread, as i have noticed users submitting integrals on previous year's threads.

I will start off:
1/(x+x^6)
sorry for bad formatting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)