• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My max possible UAI? (1 Viewer)

ak_47

HSC
I'm doing 5 subjects this year:

English Advanced
Maths General
Biology
PDHPE
Legal Studies

A friend of mine told me that my max possible UAI is 85 or something because the subjects I'm doing mostly get scaled down. Is he right or is it just BS?

I can change to Maths Advanced but I chose General so I could get a really high mark as opposed to say 75-80 for Advanced (Maths is my weak point). Would the 75-80 for Advanced just be scaled up to my potential General mark?

What do you think of my other subjects? Easy or hard in your opinion?

Thanks if you can help out.

jt.

HSC
any UAI is possible.

Your subjects are generally quite easy, however, get over 90 in them and youll be fine.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You can get a maximum of 100, your subjects are in no way considered easy subjects, and if they were there is no maximum UAI you can get (other than 100)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
if you came first in the state in every subject (or at least top 5-10) you would get a max possible uai of 99.95 according to 2003 HSC figures.

sladehk

le random
HSC
but i hear some subject, even if you're the top in the hsc, you have a cap limiting the MAX score you can get

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
sladehk said:
but i hear some subject, even if you're the top in the hsc, you have a cap limiting the MAX score you can get
i took that into account, der.

ak_47

HSC
Thanks for the replies. What do you guys know about the scaling difference between General and Advanced Maths? Is a mark of say 75 in Advanced and 90 in General the same because of scaling?

One more thing: I'm thinking of doing Psychology at uni. Do any of you know were I can get more info on how I can get into the course at a Sydney uni? What's the best uni for a course like this? The most respected, stuff like that.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
ak_47 said:
Thanks for the replies. What do you guys know about the scaling difference between General and Advanced Maths? Is a mark of say 75 in Advanced and 90 in General the same because of scaling?
No way, Id say an aligned mark of about 87 in Mathematics is about equal to about 90 in general when scaled. You have to consider that getting 75 in Mathematics means almost 50% of students beat you whilst a 90 in general means only like 4% beat you. In terms of scaling, General is much better if you had the results you stated above

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i just no that me and my best friend have the same mathematical abilities, and she did higher math and got 58% and i did general and got 88... all our other subjects and marks were pretty much the same... and she ended up with a UAI of 78 and i got 86. its better to do well than rely on scaling...

i did a stack of ur subjects: legal, bio, english advanced, general math, and then i did art and 3 u eng.

as i sed i got 86.3 which was enuf for me 2 do communicatations at newy uni so i was stoked. however all my marks were in the 80's, and i didnt study very hard compared to many people in my school.

i thought my subs would scale me down heaps but they didnt much, i was still in the top 15% of the state or something.

basically u just have to work hard and u will end up with a great UAI

lala2

Banned
HSC
See the thread here:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=12587

If you scroll down Laz's first post, you'll see that down the bottom, a girl did the same subjects as you except she did advanced maths, instead of General. I know she's an excetpion, but there's nothing stopping you from getting as close to a UAI of 100 as you can (or getting it is even better). She battled illness and so had to do distance education (I searched the 2002 HSC results articles on SMH using Google), so if you're healthy, and you're getting good marks (80+), there's nothing stopping yuo.

Just work hard, concentrate on your marks (don't think about rankings, especailly if like 20 people get first place or something--it won't mean a thing as so many people got that particular ranking, adn you're 'second' but ranked 21st), and you'll be fine.

I can't comment on whether your friend is right, wrong, or just plain BSing you, because you have to take into account your current marks, and the school you go to, so maybe just ignore his advice altogether? You don't want to get the wrong first impressions.

ak_47

HSC
What effect does the school you're going to have on the whole ranking/grading process? I'm doing the HSC in one year at TAFE. The dropout rate last year was really high with something like 10 people left at the end. 100 people have started the course this year but it seems like that number has gone down already after just a week.

So is having less people attending your school a good thing if you get really high marks?

lala2

Banned
HSC
It depends on the standard of your school, that was what I meant. As for your question ak_47, I don't know. If everyone does well at your school, then the number of people won't matter. Just get the top marks, and you won't have to feel the brunt of the moderating process as badly as those below you will have to. Ranks don't mean a thing if let's say 20 people achieved equal first place, because so many people achieved that rank that it must be an easy thing to do. So don't worry too much about ranks.

wallid

HSC
LOL, fuck your friend

i did english standard, gen maths, information technology, legal and business

i got 90.4 and my scool ranked about 60th, plus i rcn i could of done better easily

dun listen to all that shit, its just harder to do well in easy subjects, THATS IT
but if u do well, your fine

AshleaSK

Scaling always freaks everyone out. I wouldn't stress too much about it now, you can't unselect your subjects. And it's utter rubbish that you can't do well. Hell, I did Gen Maths, Adv English, Legal, Food Tech, SOR I and Tourism & Hospitality and got 92.5.
Scaling is complex to calculate. As I had 11 units for my UAI, Tourism & Hospitality actually counted over SOR, which is bizarre, as my mark for SOR was actually higher. It just shows that 'easy' subjects won't necessarily pull you down.
From the sounds of it, your friend is trying to reassure herself more than anything!
Good luck!

Adrian.

HSC
wallid said:
LOL, fuck your friend

i did english standard, gen maths, information technology, legal and business

i got 90.4 and my scool ranked about 60th, plus i rcn i could of done better easily

dun listen to all that shit, its just harder to do well in easy subjects, THATS IT
but if u do well, your fine
Do you mind if I ask your HSC marks? I'm thinking about my subject selection at the moment and do very similar subjects to you, thanks.

wallid

HSC
hsc marks (middle of the 2)..

english 81
I T 81
legal 88
business 90
gen maths 89

lala2

Banned
HSC
Your HSC marks look promising, if you can drag your marks all up to 90, esp. English, you'll have a decent UAI. Don't worry about your friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)