My Place Question (1 Viewer)

Blondie

Ok, so i know my place quotes, techniques blah blah blah.
BUT:
umm..... what are the main themes in this novel? i mean, i usually just start babbling :confused:

pan3dol

changing in the physical and spiritually in Sally

Sally did not change herself, she was proud of who she is from teh start.. but she want to change the environment around her... to allow others to see her point of view and accept who they are as a whole

she became the catalyst for her grandmother, Gladdys and her sister in the text, and widely for the western community as the end result after the book was pulished

Change is a journey that goes forward and backward, to discover wat had happened and decide what is going to happen

Blondie

ok, i getcha, but THEMES...i know one of them i risk taking, which i can tie in with "The Door", but now i need others...?

Nomes

I disagree. I think Sally did 'change.' She wasn't proud of who she was from the start, she didn't know who she was from the start. With the knowledge of her Aboriginality came change within herself and the motivation to try and change 'the environment around her' as you said.

Themes, ah... hadn't really thoughts of themese as such. I'll try and think of some.

tempco

HSC
You can say that she changed in regards to her state of awareness. I don't think she wasn't proud of who she was from the start. She cherished her individuality, and didn't conform with others.

Mazey

Its not as such about themes its more the ideas in the text about change.
Like a theme of My Place would be "Aboriginality" (which has nothing to do with change) so you look instead at the idea: "Change brings about consciouness of self" (in this case she becomes aware of her Aboriginality!)

Hmmm does that make sense?!

anastabation

The essay probably won't ask about themes. In the trial I didn't read the novel, just how the composer shows change and how change is developed through characters throughout the text and got 12/15, which was 2nd in the class.

tempco

HSC
Are we required to know of the context in which My Place was composed? I think it's a requirement to be aware of the context of all text studied, but I'm not sure...

Mazey

Yeh and its good if u can put it in i spose to satisfy their 'higher order thinking' thing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)