My predicament.. Need Help (1 Viewer)

Dashdorm24

HSC
My chemistry test is in 2 weeks however, I have an overwhelming fear that because practically half my class dropped and also because I'm struggling to understand the content that I'm gonna fail. It is a test with 20% weighting, and I'm wondering whether I should drop -- I mean I do find Math Ext 1 to be easier than it. If I do drop, what would be the implications since every subject I would enter would need fundamental knowledge from year 11. If I don't drop i have the plan to teach myself the content during the big holidays and also get a tutor for chemistry, the only downside to this is that in the mean time I may do poorly towards the assessment coming this term which will also affect my Atar. What do I do?

Note: I have the determination to do well in Chemistry, It is just really hard :/

icycledough

HSC
My chemistry test is in 2 weeks however, I have an overwhelming fear that because practically half my class dropped and also because I'm struggling to understand the content that I'm gonna fail. It is a test with 20% weighting, and I'm wondering whether I should drop -- I mean I do find Math Ext 1 to be easier than it. If I do drop, what would be the implications since every subject I would enter would need fundamental knowledge from year 11. If I don't drop i have the plan to teach myself the content during the big holidays and also get a tutor for chemistry, the only downside to this is that in the mean time I may do poorly towards the assessment coming this term which will also affect my Atar. What do I do?

Note: I have the determination to do well in Chemistry, It is just really hard :/
I think the best thing to do would be to write the exam first. If you perform strongly in it, then you may want to keep Chemistry as you say you have the determination to do well, which should be the most important thing. If you don't perform as well, you may want to CONSIDER dropping it as long as you obviously have sufficient amount of units remaining. You won't be able to pick up a new subject, I believe, if you didn't study it in Year 11, as there would be prerequisite knowledge to understand, as you mentioned yourself.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with much of what has been said above. I personally feel like a clear comparison of the advantages and disadvantages would clarify your perspective further and thus enable you to make an informed decision.

Advantages:
  • The test carries a weighting of 20%. While this should definitely not be ignored, a 20% weighting is not very significant and will thus not affect your rank substantially. However, it is important that, in the event where you don't perform favourably in this test, that you ensure you perform to the best of your abilities in your subsequent assessment tasks/exams that constitute the remaining 80%.
  • You seem to have a study plan ready for Chemistry, involving teaching yourself the content during the holidays in addition to getting a tutor, both of which can be very beneficial and potentially allow you to achieve the progress that you are aiming for.
  • You have the determination to do well in Chemistry. This is perhaps the most important factor as it constitutes the basis for your studies, i.e. having the will to study and achieve great results and showing serious determination in doing so will enable you to reach your performance standards.
Disadvantages:

I will note that I don't really perceive any significant disadvantages from the information you have provided, although I will note the following:
  • You are struggling to understand the content. While this may not necessarily be fatal since, in most cases, this kind of problem can be rectified using an appropriate approach (which is definitely something that you have thought of considering your holiday plans), it may be perceived as a warning sign that this struggle could potentially develop, resulting in unwanted performance-related repercussions. However, it is definitely safe to suggest that such an outcome is a bit extreme as of right now, especially since nothing has been decided yet.
Conclusion:

You should not feel overwhelmed by the fact that approximately half of your class dropped as this in no way indicates your own academic potential. I strongly feel that the advantages of keeping Chemistry outweigh the disadvantages of keeping it. Based on this, I would suggest keeping Chemistry.

I hope this helps! :D

dannyo1

HSC
I agree with much of what has been said above. I personally feel like a clear comparison of the advantages and disadvantages would clarify your perspective further and thus enable you to make an informed decision.

Advantages:
  • The test carries a weighting of 20%. While this should definitely not be ignored, a 20% weighting is not very significant and will thus not affect your rank substantially. However, it is important that, in the event where you don't perform favourably in this test, that you ensure you perform to the best of your abilities in your subsequent assessment tasks/exams that constitute the remaining 80%.
  • You seem to have a study plan ready for Chemistry, involving teaching yourself the content during the holidays in addition to getting a tutor, both of which can be very beneficial and potentially allow you to achieve the progress that you are aiming for.
  • You have the determination to do well in Chemistry. This is perhaps the most important factor as it constitutes the basis for your studies, i.e. having the will to study and achieve great results and showing serious determination in doing so will enable you to reach your performance standards.
Disadvantages:

I will note that I don't really perceive any significant disadvantages from the information you have provided, although I will note the following:
  • You are struggling to understand the content. While this may not necessarily be fatal since, in most cases, this kind of problem can be rectified using an appropriate approach (which is definitely something that you have thought of considering your holiday plans), it may be perceived as a warning sign that this struggle could potentially develop, resulting in unwanted performance-related repercussions. However, it is definitely safe to suggest that such an outcome is a bit extreme as of right now, especially since nothing has been decided yet.
Conclusion:

You should not feel overwhelmed by the fact that approximately half of your class dropped as this in no way indicates your own academic potential. I strongly feel that the advantages of keeping Chemistry outweigh the disadvantages of keeping it. Based on this, I would suggest keeping Chemistry.

I hope this helps! :D
Jimmy you're doing god's work mate. On this forum all the time quelling the anxieties of 17/18 year olds with cool, calm logic. We are in your debt sir.

specificagent1

HSC
Jimmy you're doing god's work mate. On this forum all the time quelling the anxieties of 17/18 year olds with cool, calm logic. We are in your debt sir.
stress really makes us over think everything

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you dannyo1, I’m really grateful for this! I’m very happy to be here and that I’m able to help! Best of luck with the rest of your HSC journey mate! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)