My school does not let us choose our own subjects! (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Even though, I'm moving to Sydney Tech HS next year, I currently go to Macquarie Fields HS and they introduced a smaller limit for Eng Ext 1 next year.
This year, there were two Eng Ext 1 classes for Year 11 but next year, there will only be 1 class because the half of the current Ext 1 yr 11 students dropped it.
Meaning, ONLY 20 students will be able to do English Ext 1.

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
Even though, I'm moving to Sydney Tech HS next year, I currently go to Macquarie Fields HS and they introduced a smaller limit for Eng Ext 1 next year.
This year, there were two Eng Ext 1 classes for Year 11 but next year, there will only be 1 class because the half of the current Ext 1 yr 11 students dropped it.
Meaning, ONLY 20 students will be able to do English Ext 1.
That's such a joke. That would only work on the assumption that the 20 that didn't drop would be the 20 who were in the first class.

Anyways @OP, if you don't like your school's policy, change schools. Schools can be understaffed, therefore limit acceptance into classes - as the BOS regulates the maximum number per class, either change or don't do physics.

Genero

HSC
Do you know your overall ranking? There would be a few students who would not pick physics, and this may then open an opportunity for students on the reserves' list to be able to pick the subject (considering that many students on the reserves' list may not pick physics either, you have a chance). You still technically have the option to pick physics, but the point they're trying to get across is that if you pick it you are taking away other boys' opportunity to do physics as well. There are 3 main factors they consider- student, staffing and resources. If you did not get recommended physics, they're suggesting to not pick it as it may be beyond your capabilities based on your grades and on past experiences where boys picked physics but failed them which dragged their overall performance down (but you should do fine in physics). For now, the only real thing you can do is put physics as your first preference. I know for a fact that quite a handful of students in top 25 are not putting down physics, or at least it's in the lower half of their preferences, if that helps. Keep in mind that the Science Coordinator also pointed out that even if you didn't get offered the course, he'll consider your situation if you show you really want the subject e.g. putting down physics as your first preference. I know this because I'm either psychic, asian, stalker, or a small chance of possibly being a student at your school. I won't reveal my rank specifically, but my science ranks are in the top 10, and I'm not putting down physics. Naturally, it'd be nice to have it, but 3 sciences in addition to my other subjects would be quite a lot of workload that I believe may be pressuring for me. This is true for a bunch of other students, so you've got a shot. It may or may not be a long shot, but it's there.
For now, I suggest you work hard consistently, eventually, things will shine through for you, probably.

goobi

HSC
To OP, why don't you consider doing Physics through correspondence?

jadenmaccas

HSC
@goobi - what do you mean?
@Genero - Thank you very much for your efforts to increase my satisfaction towards this horrific dilemma! I am really stressing if I'll make it in or not. I don't know my rank, but please I pray that I get into the course. It is essential for engineering in university. I have worked so well in the physics component of this grade, but ultimately my half yearly let me down :'(
I guess sometimes there is no second chance. I worked so hard in science this year the most, yet whenever the nerves arrive on examination day, I lack confidence. Why didn't we get the recommendations by our science teachers that were mentioned by Brother at the start of the year? Our teachers know what science we are capable of more than a man who only has a page of ranks ranging from 1-173. A half yearly exam paper shouldn't mean much compared to the persistency and determination of a student, who has shown so much effort and work ethic in class...

Genero

HSC
@jadenmaccas - Have you shared your thoughts to your teacher and the coordinator? You seem to have sound arguments that may assist you. Perhaps you should also inquire about your rank to get a better idea of your chances as well.

jadenmaccas

HSC
I haven't shared my arguments with a teacher or coordinator. But I have told my dad these arguments because he would like to have a meeting with Brother after the subject selection process, using these arguments. Well, I'm not sure about my rank but I was only offered Biology... that's all I know

13abie

HSC
You think that sucks?
My school is ranked 8th and I did extension 1 maths in year 11, and they KICKED ME OUT for year 12.
what a waste of a year.

To be fair I sucked in year 11, but nobody tries that hard in year 11 anyway, so my plan to go all out in year 12 failed when they kicked me out.
so lamelamelame

HSC
I still think that you should do everything you can to get into physics but if you don't you can still get into engineering if you do a bridging course after school.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You think that sucks?
My school is ranked 8th and I did extension 1 maths in year 11, and they KICKED ME OUT for year 12.
what a waste of a year.

To be fair I sucked in year 11, but nobody tries that hard in year 11 anyway, so my plan to go all out in year 12 failed when they kicked me out.
so lamelamelame
WTF? NSB do that?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
are they actually allowed to stop you from doing the subject you want.
Yes - if they put a criteria on entry and fill the class with students who meet that criteria - the important point is 'fill the class'. The criteria can be overturned but only if there isn't a full class of those meeting that criteria.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Complain to the principal first with your parents...if the principal doesnt do anything go complain to Board of studies...like the actual board...since they have more power over the school..they can sue the teachers....because we have the right of what subjects we do.. Good LUck :)

Not quite - they won't support the student if there is no room in the class so if the school has said that there is a maximum class size (and outside of Dept schools the school can set its own limits) and that class is full then the school will win that argument but if there is a vacancy then the student will win.

Schools have rights to restrice class sizes and to refuse to form a second class if there aren't sufficient teachers to cover the actual classes across the school, not just the seniors.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes they can if the class is full of people who meet their criteria.
^ This.
But, unless you REALLY need the subject for either:
- University Course - E.g. Engineering - Ext 1 Maths or Physics
- You slacked off in Year 10 and 100% believe that you will be able to ace that subject in year 11 and 12
- OR you are passionate about that subject or have wanted to do it since Year 7
You should just do the course that the school recommends for you. (Unless your teachers are bad and have made an unthoughtful recommendation)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)