MyZone - New public transport ticketing (1 Viewer)

5233andy

HSC
NSW Government's new Public Transport Fares Structure

New structure means cheaper fares

By Rhys Haynes, Transport Reporter From: The Daily Telegraph February 01, 2010
ALMOST all public transport ticket prices will be unchanged or cheaper under a new fare structure announced by the NSW government today.

Some public transport users, including infrequent ferry commuters, will pay more for tickets and some monthly rail tickets will increase by a maximum of $20.

From April 18, 2010, the new MyZone fare structure effectively cuts down the number of fare bands being used across Sydney, with commuters paying depending on the length of travel, and using one form of ticket across different modes of transport.

There are now five train fare bands instead of more than 20, as is currently the case.

And there will be two ferry fare bands and three bus fare bands instead of the current five for each.

For the first time there will be standard tickets that can be used on both private buses and State Transit Authority buses.

A new MyMulti pass allows commuters to travel on all three modes of public transport and permits unlimited travel on buses and ferries.

Almost 94 per cent of fares will be the same or cheaper, the government said.

The new fare structure was approved by budget committee last month and is scheduled to commence on 18 April 2010.

"More people are using public transport and MyZone is making it easier for us all to do so,'' said NSW Premier Kristina Keneally.

"Not only will 9 out of 10 fares be the same or cheaper, the MyMulti ticket means the most commuters will pay will be $57 per week, regardless of where or how often they travel on the network.''

For further info including new prices, go to MyZone or call 131 500.

One of the state's peak transport bodies has welcomed the changes, saying commuters who travel longer distances will be the big winners.

"The rationalisation of the fare structure will make travelling by public transport simpler and in many cases cheaper,'' according to Tourism & Transport Forum executive director Brett Gale.

"It will improve network integration, give commuters more choice in mode of transport and improve passenger flexibility.

"Significantly, the new zonal system will give commuters from further afield cheaper fares, recognising that those who live furthest away from the Sydney CBD are often those who can least afford high public transport fares.

"People who frequently travel longer distances will be the big winners.''
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/new-structure-means-cheaper-fares/story-e6freuzi-1225825502035

MyZone

Opinions?

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
Re: NSW Government's new Public Transport Fares Structure

haha have no idea how this is going to work
but goodluck with it, and lower the prices please

debts

HSC
N/A

seems reasonable and okay, surely there is a catch or a ruse somewhere

edit: seems like all off-peak return concession fares have been eradicated? what used to be $3.60 return off-peak from bankstown will be now $4; but will be down from $4.60 peak return. i think.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

looks p good actually. my price for bus is the same but if i get a weekly its cheaper.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

looks ok, all the prices I'd be paying are the same anyway so not that fussed

i like that traveltens will be valid on private buses

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

looks ok, all the prices I'd be paying are the same anyway so not that fussed

even if its the same fare, it has to be better because it cuts down on the insane number of ticketing tiers there is now

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
sounds interesting, love how the system applies to the private bus companies as well.

would this also mean that I should hold out buying a yearly train travelpass at the moment?

debts

HSC
N/A

that's brilliant. my return private bus fare costs as much as my return train fare so this is really good.

aussie-boy

HSC
Meh.... I have to buy number 1 and number 2 bus tickets instead of blue and brown.
Still no smart card or anything - waste of time IMO

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
wooo tickets to/from the blue mountains are cheaper. but for some stupid reason they're keeping the no concessions policy for any travelpass (now being renamed MyMulti) that goes for longer than a week. so concessions are still randomly not available for one type of ticket. weird.

also on a purely aesthetic note it's nice that the tickets are all being redesigned, the current ones are pretty dated and 90s.

bismarck

HSC

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/new-structure-means-cheaper-fares/story-e6freuzi-1225825502035

MyZone

Opinions?

Slogging inner city electorates (particularly inner west) with fare hikes of ~ 20% to drop cost for outer suburban labor marginals on the Central Coast, Kiama, Blue Mountains - the seats they might actually retain.

Load of shit without a fully integrated, electronic ticketing system. Stop gap measure that's more of a rebrand than anything else. Hardly worth the $33m it's going to cost.

/twocents

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

oh yay i get to save $1 per week with this new system woo hoo

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Slogging inner city electorates (particularly inner west) with fare hikes of ~ 20% to drop cost for outer suburban labor marginals on the Central Coast, Kiama, Blue Mountains - the seats they might actually retain.

Load of shit without a fully integrated, electronic ticketing system. Stop gap measure that's more of a rebrand than anything else. Hardly worth the $33m it's going to cost.

/twocents
I don't get what Labor are playing at. Inner city electorates such as Marrickville, Balmain, Strathfield, Drummoyne etc - they're marginal Labor (and the Greens are their nearest competitors in Marrickville and Balmain, Liberals in Strathfield and Drummoyne). Wouldn't they wanna -decrease- fares in the Inner Weest, rather than increasing them? You could say they've given up on those seats, but admittedly, they contain some of Labor's biggest talent - Carmel Tebutt, Verity Firth, Virginia Judge and Angela D'Amore.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
how is rafy not a mod anymore?!?!

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
This is stupid. You can't even get Weekly bus-only tickets anymore, and they're not cheaper, they're just as expensive. :angry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)