Naming Body Of Work (1 Viewer)

SarahPoole

HSC
Hey guys, my teacher is being a butthole telling me that my work isn't conceptually strong enough, and that the title of my work will be a big factor in expressing my ideas to the audience. I can't think of anything to name it though! My concept is showing how domestic dogs have evolved from the wolf, but the characteristics are much the same- we shouldn't always trust pet dogs as we should, but at the same time, we shouldn't assume wolves are so vicious and dangerous. It is showing both the similarities and differences between wolves and dogs, and my work consists of four progresso/charcoal drawings and a sculpture. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

flappinghippo

HSC
We evolved from a bunch of monkeys. We have a lot in common with them, physically and mentally. While we pride ourselves with our superior intelligence and morals, we end up using this for cruelty and the destruction of others from time to time. Humans can be just as base as the monkeys that they 'evolved' from. Maybe with the wolf-domesticated dog progression could be a comment on this wider idea?

BTW, I'm not saying humans are shite, I'm saying we should see us as we are - our nature today is a remnant of the natures of the early humans forged as result of a less forgiving environment - and this should be celebrated.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
call it something ABSOLUTELY random with nothing in relation to your work the marker will think its FULL ON deep

like e.g. u have a drawing of a self portrait or something but u name it "the door among the cats"

the markers will be like holy crap so abstract even i dont get it!

no bs

jessal

HSC
cbadvanced said:
call it something ABSOLUTELY random with nothing in relation to your work the marker will think its FULL ON deep

like e.g. u have a drawing of a self portrait or something but u name it "the door among the cats"

no bs
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

anyway. maybe you could call it 'playing with wolves' or something?
don't stress too much. they'll check out your vapd if they need to know anything more.

jenkins89

HSC
cbadvanced said:

no bs
ha ha ha i have to dissagree, lolthe name can make or break the artwork, ive been through like twenty, but definately dont try and make the artworksound like it has more meaning than it does by giving it a strange name,

maybe use some referance to darwinism or something,
i like the "domestic wolf", gd idea,

but yeh, moral to the story; woudlnt mention doors or cats.. though mines named self portrai after three pints of blood, so maybe my advice is slightly hypocritical... only it does actually have purpose lol

biggie walls

HSC
seriously... the name isn't that important... one thing i found that was good was using a two part name...

random example: 'Phantasmagoirical Flamingos - A Study of Ebbs and Flows'

i think this way always sounds pretty good because you can include something hell abstract and also something which sort of explains it abit more - it works for everyone in the end...

zaqwerty

HSC
The name of the work is extremely important.

If you read ANY the marking notes for VA from the Board of Studies you will see for all criterias that they advice teachers and students to give a suitable name to the artwork so as to reveal the concept behind the work.

The best thing you can do is make it easier for your marker.

I like the oxymoron idea - "domestic wolf". Try and be just as creative with the title as you were with the actual artwork.

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
my work is also nameless... its a series of photos and drawings of portraits of my sisters and I...... and help thinking of a title would be GREATLY appreciated!

goosiegoo

HSC
Does anyone know whether you're only allowed to have one name, or if you can have several? Because i have six works, and they all come together to have the same concept, but inidividual names help in making it a bit clearer.

3lsi3

HSC
i still have no idea what to name mine!
i have 6 photographs that all have sayings and an image that represents them.
and its due on monday! argh.

jazzmuzik

HSC
Hmm i need a name, originally i wanted something that encompassed my idea but didnt spell it out... hmm apprently the idea i to make it easier for the marker..

My artwork is an appropriation of Hokusai's "The great wave off kanagawa" and i'm pretty much saying the japanese perspective of nature, as reflected by artists such as hokusai has a lot to teach our modern world. these images illustrate the power and beauty of nature and thus stimulate a reverence and respect for the environement. Western cultures however seem to place the environment in a position of enemy or at least an inconvenience... (in the way of progress etc). Images of the 2004 tsunami demonstrate a western relationship to nature.
So through my artwork i am trying to prompt a renewed appreciation of the power of nature (particularly the ocean) and stimulate people to consider a japanese outlook.

(well at least thats what my "justify everything" rationale says...)
so a name, heres the options....

"A Dedication: to Hokusai and the 21st century"
"Hokusai and the 2004 Tsunami"
"Drowning Hokusai"
"Reviving Hokusai"
"Nature an enemy?"

Any suggestions? or combining these?

jazzmuzik

HSC
Boxing Day Hokusai...

Doesnt have as much ring as the others but it seemed to sum up the juxta posed images of hokusais wave and the 2004 tsunami

yasmine2007

HSC
mines called "Audery who?" it was a last minute thing but i think its really catchy .. :rofl:

Queen Llamah

HSC
I called mine the first thing that popped into my head when i look at the works as a whole.
That being "Pop-ish". :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)