NAPLAN tests to be online in 2017 (1 Viewer)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
cant wait until they roll this out for hsc, shame its too late for me already

Machiavelli1

HSC
+1 Don't understand why we have to hand write everything in the HSC - when in the real world we don't hand write anything (apart from maybe small notes??).

I would do so well typing. I'd probably be 5x faster and then you can go back and edit and rearrange things.

Some people I know don't like the idea of doing the HSC online / typing because the write faster - I say just give us the option, then it's fair - you can type or you can write.
Personally, i think hand writing is a skill that everyone should at least develop to a reasonable level. Also making written tests typed can cause large disadvantages. Some people may not be competent at typing at fast speeds for periods of time. whilst this is an issue with handwriting the discrepancies are not as pronounced when compared to typing.

Also, giving the option to type or write is very unfair as typing people would be able to write a lot more than writing people.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Yes, and that's like saying it's unfair for people who can write faster than others? Or it's unfair that some people are better at maths better?
same thing with english, it's unfair how everyone has to do it.

Machiavelli1

HSC
Yes, and that's like saying it's unfair for people who can write faster than others? Or it's unfair that some people are better at maths better?
Yes but as i said the difference is more pronounced with typing when compared to writing. Not really unfair if people are better at maths because they aren't forced to take it as a subject.

Machiavelli1

HSC
same thing with english, it's unfair how everyone has to do it.
Not really an unreasonable ask to make English a compulsory subject when the country's main language is english, however the course structure should be altered imo.

enoilgam

HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...sts-to-be-online-in-2017-20141031-11ezyg.html

Schools will be able to choose to sit NAPLAN tests online in 2017 and the use of pen and paper for the national numeracy and literacy tests will be completely phased out by 2019, after education ministers agreed on the roll-out of interactive testing today.
I'll be laughing when there are glitches and people are unable to do the test. Waste of money I think, what's wrong with pen and paper.

+1 Don't understand why we have to hand write everything in the HSC - when in the real world we don't hand write anything (apart from maybe small notes??).
Cant dispute this, but I dont think it's a good think. Staring at a computer for 8 hours a day is terrible.

Machiavelli1

HSC
If you're faster at typing - type. If you're faster at writing - write. I don't get the issue?

If you're in the middle - choose one and get better. It's not that hard to type fast. I'm pretty sure everyone here has a pretty good WPM.
You yourself say that you can type 5X faster than writing, this obviously gives an upper hand to those typing as they will be able to present more information and edit that information easier than those writing, thus not being a fair test of ability.

I agree with you in saying that learning to type fast isnt hard, but you have to take in everyone who will do the HSC into account not just those on Bos. There will be a wide discrepancy within those 70,00 odd people. Also you have to consider that with the end of government supplied laptop scheme, not everyone will have guaranteed access to a computer at home due to financial constraints.

Machiavelli1

HSC
YES THAT'S MY POINT.

Well I want to complain about those 70,000 odd people who can write fast. This is obviously an unfair advantage as they will be able to present more information faster than me who has terribly ugly and slow handwriting. You have to take in account all the people doing the HSC. Not just those on BOS. There's probably THOUSANDS out there who can write faster than me. How unfair. /s
Wow you seriously missed my point about the discrepancies in typing speeds vs. discrepancies in writing speeds

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be laughing when there are glitches and people are unable to do the test. Waste of money I think, what's wrong with pen and paper.

Cant dispute this, but I dont think it's a good think. Staring at a computer for 8 hours a day is terrible.
Old school is best

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It might be a push to reduce the need for supervisors, paper, and the whatnot.

So in the long run, its probably a way to reduce costs through a "lazy evaluation".

However, I still think pen and paper are important lol. Being someone who writes a lot of equations and draws a lot of diagrams all day, its much more convenient to have gotten used to pen and paper personally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)