Narrative History (1 Viewer)

h0met0wnher0

HSC
Asheroth said:
I'm not assuming a thing. Actually, it looks like you're the one doing the assuming. I don't care how intelligent you are, or think you are. You need to read to do well in the major work, because you need to quote sources and page numbers. Listing sources without having read them is called dishonesty and can net you a nice, fat 0 for the assignment or course.

It's got nothing to do with your level of intelligence. If you don't read, you will do poorly. Fact. Take it or leave it, buddy.
dude your a tool, what if darcho just gets sources that are summarised for him then he doesnt have to read a thing, just get a books summary, its quotes and then their in context...

fix ur head, darcho will probably end up killing you anyway

darcho

HSC
N/A
h0met0wnher0 said:
dude your a tool, what if darcho just gets sources that are summarised for him then he doesnt have to read a thing, just get a books summary, its quotes and then their in context...

Well said, you really are a good bloke. adding joy to the lives of others everyday. There should be an award called....i dunno, 'the good bloke award' for people who just continually add joy to the lives of others, like steve waugh or fred hollows. Then again, after a while they would just run out of people to give it to and give it to people who didnt really do anything but were just nominated to keep the award going.
Its these kind of good blokes that make us strong and cause our bar to be much higher the the bars of people like Asheroth, whose bar is much lower and is always trying to lower our bar to the standard of his.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Hey, I'm only trying to help you get good marks. That being said, the UAI is a rank, I'm after 95+, and I'm more than happy to trample all over you to get it. :D Come back with a cricitism that's not made up out of thin air and I may listen to you.

Ah, it's people like you that simply fill me with confidence whenever I start worrying about my UAI.

*loves a good flame war*

darcho

HSC
N/A
My marks from my first two assesments this year:
Advanced English: 98%
Extension1 English: 100%
Extension 2 English: 95%
Modern History: 96%
Extension History:100%
PDHPE: 94%
Mathematics:100%
Mathematics Extension 1: 95%
Chemistry: 95%

Started worrying about your UAI yet fucker?

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Not really, no. For every intelligent yet monstrously arrogant and lazy person like yourself, there's ten people like hometownhero, who are a pushover. Although those marks are very impressive, they've got nothing to do with the quality of your major work, which WILL be less than impressive if you don't take our advice.

UAI-wise, it's not real easy to stuff up with Extension 2 English, Extension History, and Philosophy Distinction Course. You'll probably beat me, but 95 is well and truly in my sights.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
seems a very impressive list darcho. of course, as you pointed out yourself, you have only done two assessments thus far. if you want to keep your marks up then you will have to read your texts. no-one is trying to say that that's necessarily enjoyable all the time, but if you really find it that detestable perhaps you should consider dropping this subject as it will require a substantial committment - it's not like you don't have enough units.

h0met0wnher0 said:
that's possibly the worse advice I've ever heard. It's like saying that people will get 100% in advanced english if they just read the study guide to their module texts and never look at the real things...

and there's no need to abuse either pwar or asheroth --> even if you don't like their advice, at least be grateful that they bothered to reply with a sensible suggestion.

Nelsonian

HSC
N/A
Welcome to the HSC. Please don't kid yourselves into thinking that the battery hens that will mark the papers will anxiously sit there waiting for some budding von Ranke to brighten up their day. As mad as Darcho may sound his point is not to be casually dismissed. It is impossible to relate to the examiner a complete understanding of any of the historians because this would require more than the time allocated to the exam. As for the essay, what have we got ? About 3000 words? As if we can sum up original and unique ideas within this word limit. Reading core texts is essential, like Darcho I am not getting carried away with that. Warren and Evans are enough for me...they certainly cured my insomnia. For the ancients some of the summaries here seem fine. The likes of Ranke...lets not forget that as impartial this guy wanted to be he was certainly Eurocentric in his belief that modern history seemed to begin with Latin/Germanic peoples. Naturally Said had something to say about that. TIME seems to be the issue here...use it well. Darcho seeks efficiency hometownhero wants to cut corners, silvermoon wishes to be remembered by a marker one Thursday evening between paper 34 and 36. We are kidding ourselves in this quest for substance. We are pretending we are at university and the syllabus entices us into this web of deceit. I will personally seek the shallow depths of Darcho and strive for intelligent superficiality. Darcho you speak the truth, thus to some you are a heretic and to hometownhero you are da man. To me you are the only one in this forum that types with two hands. Others here obviously have their other appendage otherwise occupied.

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
As much as I dislike you Darcho, I suggest reading the extract from Elton's "The Practice of History" in the BOS source-book. He is a staunch supporter of the Narrative as a historical form (and has quite a bit to say about it in this extract), so though he might not support your angle, well, know your enemy and all that.

darcho

HSC
N/A
fleepbasding said:
As much as I dislike you Darcho, I suggest reading the extract from Elton's "The Practice of History" in the BOS source-book. He is a staunch supporter of the Narrative as a historical form (and has quite a bit to say about it in this extract), so though he might not support your angle, well, know your enemy and all that.
I love you too fleepbasding.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
Darcho seeks efficiency hometownhero wants to cut corners, silvermoon wishes to be remembered by a marker one Thursday evening between paper 34 and 36.
1. lack of originality does not equal 'efficiency'
2. the only thing I could see that hometownhero wanted to do was support darcho against pwaryeux
3. I said nothing about being "remembered"

Last edited:

Nelsonian

HSC
N/A
Darcho you need to have a little more class than that. Argue the issues don't play the man. I thought you wanted help with your essay on the narrative. Perhaps your work should be the history of gay bashing. Potent stuff I'm sure it would be. Use you mind not the swamp you have as a mouth. Withdraw your comment or forever be damned as an ignorant boor.

darcho

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry but I must have missed something....did you uneducated nitwits think that I could actually say something out of line? The last thing i said was 'I love you too fleepbasding.' In what way is that not classy? Will someone please explain this to me, as surely my grounding in manners and edicate is solid, however that has been called into question tonight.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
ok, reconsidering that post.

darcho, that was an unfair comment and I apologise.

so, this discussion is going to make me nasty to people so I'm just going to leave it now. Darcho and hometownhero: I don't agree with your views on the best/most efficient way to construct a major work, but good luck with them anyway.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Way to delete your post, Darcho.

*sigh* To explain...

My post was originally not at the top of this page. What was originally at the top of this page was a post by Darcho quoting one or another of somebody's posts with the sole reply 'UR FUCKEN GAY!!!!' He since appears to have deleted this message.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Asheroth said:
Way to delete your post, Darcho.
It was deleted by a mod.

*sigh* To explain...

My post was originally not at the top of this page. What was originally at the top of this page was a post by Darcho quoting one or another of somebody's posts with the sole reply 'UR FUCKEN GAY!!!!' He since appears to have deleted this message.
It's gone for a reason, Asheroth. They don't have 'This post has been chosen to be deleted: .... ' or 'Please, ignore this post: .... ', they just delete it so it doesn't cause any more inflamatory posts.

X

xeuyrawp

silvermoon said:
...(sic)? ...
I don't care what anyone says, it should be ' [sic] ' :p

Think about it -- additions made by a third party inside a block of primary source for clarification are always put in brackets (rather than parentheses).

Eg, ' He [Amenhotep] smote the Kush '

Since you're essentially commenting that there was a grammatical/spelling/semantical error, it's exactly the same.

Eg, ' Pwfre4ex [PwarYuex] said this: '

Parentheses should be used when there is some sort of inference or implication that does not work. Ie, the quotation is too short to gather context, it doesn't work in English, etc.

Eg, ' You (all) are in the house '; 'you' here is the pluralised netchen, not 'you' in the singular ink. Because 'you' is plural in English, but there's a difference in Egyptian, parenthesis marks have to be added to clarify.

Then again, even when you're translating, parentheses should be avoided because many languages use an equivalent.

Anyway. My point is that it's ' [sic] ', not ' (sic) ' :p

HSC
Yes thank you for that marvellous insight about the linguistical ramifications of brackets and paretheses PwarYeux, however, in terms of more relevant matters i would suggest Darcho, that anyone attempting to do an extension history major work the night before it is due has approximately the same intelligence as a small gnat who has flown in to a pile of horse shit and died from asphyxiation.

Nelsonian does make an excellent point, though, about the abilities of the HSC markers. Many a story has been told, at least at my school, about a history essay that was so good the markers could not comprehend the sophistication of the students response and as such he was awarded a poorer mark. We simply have to play the game the best we can. If the syllabus asks for us to do something then just do it. You can write the most fantastic essay you've ever written but if it doesnt conform to even the smallest point in the syllabus you wont get the mark you deserve. Even in the creative major works for 4 unit English, VA, Drama etc. theres still plenty of criteria that have to be filled for you to get a top mark.

So LEARN TO PLAY THE GAME

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)