Narrative History (1 Viewer)

Nelsonian

HSC
N/A
"Nelsonian does make an excellent point, though, about the abilities of the HSC markers. "

Finally a person of breeding and class to make such an astute remark.

Emo guy: ' He [Amenhotep] smote the Kush' dont you mean: "He [Amenhotep] smoke the Hash"

I haven't heard of a good smote since the days of Camelot...mmmm Oswald smote Kennedy nah! That doesn't have the same ring as Lancelot smoting one of the Knights of Ni. Or is it the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'. :wave:

X

xeuyrawp

The Brucemaster said:
Yes thank you for that marvellous insight about the linguistical ramifications of brackets and paretheses PwarYeux,
'Linguistic' is the adjective. May I suggest a good ESL Tutor?

however, in terms of more relevant matters
Are you suggesting that ' [sic] ' is not relevant to extension history? We're all here to learn, and if you'd suggest that forum posts aren't allowed to go on tangents, I'd suggest you take that up with some sort of authoritative body. :)

i would suggest Darcho, that anyone attempting to do an extension history major work the night before it is due has approximately the same intelligence as a small gnat who has flown in to a pile of horse shit and died from asphyxiation.
Wow. Hilarious. :rolleyes:

Nelsonian does make an excellent point, though, about the abilities of the HSC markers. Many a story has been told, at least at my school, about a history essay that was so good the markers could not comprehend the sophistication of the students response and as such he was awarded a poorer mark.
Many a story has been told that Elvis is alive.

We simply have to play the game the best we can. If the syllabus asks for us to do something then just do it. You can write the most fantastic essay you've ever written but if it doesnt conform to even the smallest point in the syllabus you wont get the mark you deserve. Even in the creative major works for 4 unit English, VA, Drama etc. theres still plenty of criteria that have to be filled for you to get a top mark.

So LEARN TO PLAY THE GAME
How is this relevant?

Everyone here knows this. Even Darcho knows it. He never suggested otherwise.

Maybe you should read the forum FAQ, as you're clearly not following the discussion.

jimjim

The Brucemaster said:
Nelsonian does make an excellent point, though, about the abilities of the HSC markers. Many a story has been told, at least at my school, about a history essay that was so good the markers could not comprehend the sophistication of the students response and as such he was awarded a poorer mark. We simply have to play the game the best we can. If the syllabus asks for us to do something then just do it. You can write the most fantastic essay you've ever written but if it doesnt conform to even the smallest point in the syllabus you wont get the mark you deserve. Even in the creative major works for 4 unit English, VA, Drama etc. theres still plenty of criteria that have to be filled for you to get a top mark.

So LEARN TO PLAY THE GAME
Do yourself a favour and shut up! Thats the biggest shit I've heard im sorry. Teachers arent stupid you fucking tool. They've been researching and teaching what they teach us for a period of time for them to be qualified as teachers. Just shut the fuck up. School punks like yourself piss the living shit out of me. You think you know so much about the hsc, but seriously.. shut up. and btw, those marks you got.. they suck.

HSC
Jimmy i am not for one second advocating that teachers are in any way stupid. I am simply saying there is a limit to the intelligence of the HSC markers and sometimes students intelligence surpasses this.
If you think i am some "school punk" then your deductive abilties are severely lacking and i have no doubt that certain other abilities of yours are also somewhat deficient.
PwarYeux, you seem to be an intelligent person yet i fear your abilites are being wasted on the semantics of the english language and before you say anything i used to be just like you before i realised there was more to life than spelling. As to your other point, yes, i think [sic] is totally irrelevant to a forum about extension history. I was not suggesting in any way that tangents are not permissible in the forums i was simply signposting my discussion. It is you, however, who seem to be against tangents otherwise why would you point out my 'irrelevant' statement about the HSC?

Did someone say something about an ESL tutor....

X

xeuyrawp

The Brucemaster said:
PwarYeux, you seem to be an intelligent person yet i fear your abilites are being wasted on the semantics of the english language
But I study language. How can it be a waste if that's what I do? :S

and before you say anything i used to be just like you before i realised there was more to life than spelling.
I never said otherwise. And it's more about grammar rather than spelling. :)

As to your other point, yes, i think [sic] is totally irrelevant to a forum about extension history.
But the use of ' [sic] ' is important for any student. I'm sure you can put it into wikipedia, as you don't seem to know what it actually means and how it is actually 'totally' relevant to history students, particularly.

I was not suggesting in any way that tangents are not permissible in the forums i was simply signposting my discussion. It is you, however, who seem to be against tangents otherwise why would you point out my 'irrelevant' statement about the HSC?
I was doing the same thing as you to highlight your obvious hypocrisy. Just to clarify for you, as you seem to be lost, you said something about irrelevance, yet you posted something irrelevant. Does that make sense now? :)

Did someone say something about an ESL tutor....
Well I just assumed...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
This thread is incredibly entertaining.
heheheh, couldn't agree more.
pwar, point acknowledged re: [sic] --> we have to conform to the AGLC standards for citation in law and I always forget now to switch back to parentheses...and yes, before anyone says anything, I realise that that was a rather irrelevant piece of trivia, but don't you just feel so enriched now? :p

X

xeuyrawp

silvermoon said:
we have to conform to the AGLC standards for citation in law
Yeah. That's a very good guide, but some things annoy me, like the usage off elipses, full stops, and the whole ' "he" as the neuter/genderless pronoun is not acceptable ' bit.

Writing around using ' he ' is really annoying at times. I feel like saying 'look, I feel sorry about the whole women thing, but get over it or create a genderless pronoun.'

HSC
Well, i still dont see how [sic] pertains specifically to the study of history but then again the last page and a half of this thread doesnt either so looks like tangents are here to stay.

On that matter i am quite aware of what [sic] means. It is used when quoting from a source that uses incorrect spelling or grammar in order to preserve the original form of the source yet make the reader aware that the quoter is intelligent and knows how to spell (hey, its a cynical world).

And seeing as we both seem to be pointing out each others hypocrisies lets just agree to disagree or whatever.

And always remember the wisdom of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels:
"Assumption is the brother of all fuck-ups."
"It's mother you twit."
"Whatever."

BronwynKate

HSC
Hello!

There are lots of options for genderless pronouns that you can use once you feel comfortable.

Thank you for considering this aspect of language.

Here is the Wikipedia article about them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun

I prefer zir or xir myself, because an intersex activist I know uses them.

I think the legal link given if you should choose to follow the Wikipedia article is fairly authoriatitve, so you would have to check up. And back it up with Australian sources especially from the university/academy.

As a professional writer, I say this: There is more to life than spelling, indeed, and grammar too, but if we did not have syntax, semantics and pragmatics we would not be good linguists (and I do believe, beyond professional considerations, we are all linguists, deep down). It is well to make these issues conscious. We would be better narrative historians also. Syntax, semantics and pragmatics are part of the historian's craft too - why do you think Henry Reynolds and Kevin Windschuttle are having the 'history wars' since 2002? It may be a war of words, but words (more specifically language and its arrangement/structure) make us human. Communication makes us animal.

Two more good links in that regard:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/genpr.htm
http://www.bcli.org/pages/projects/genderfree/genderfree.html

Last edited:
HSC
I wholeheartedly agree with your point about the importance of language BronwynKate but just for your integrity's sake its Keith not Kevin Windschuttle.
Also, you may want to correct some of your sentences i.e. "It is well to make these issues conscious" which doesnt make sense and also "We would be better narrative historians also." One should not proclaim the importance of semantics when ending a sentence with a conjuction. While we are on the subject of conjuctions one usually does not begin a sentence with one either: "And back it up...
Still on conjuctions it amazes me that a professional writer would place a comma before one: "indeed, and grammar too..." especially when convincing someone of the importance of grammar.

Last edited:

BronwynKate

HSC
Keith Windschuttle.

Thank you.

I get Keith/Kevin confused all the time.

Like when I am typing into a blog about a lovely man named Kevin Leitch. My first psychiatrist was Keith (1987, so that is history) and I called him David.

Thank you again Brucemaster. I really needed that smack up my head.

X

xeuyrawp

BronwynKate said:
Hello!

There are lots of options for genderless pronouns that you can use once you feel comfortable.

Thank you for considering this aspect of language.

Here is the Wikipedia article about them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun

I prefer zir or xir myself, because an intersex activist I know uses them.

I think the legal link given if you should choose to follow the Wikipedia article is fairly authoriatitve, so you would have to check up. And back it up with Australian sources especially from the university/academy.

As a professional writer, I say this: There is more to life than spelling, indeed, and grammar too, but if we did not have syntax, semantics and pragmatics we would not be good linguists (and I do believe, beyond professional considerations, we are all linguists, deep down). It is well to make these issues conscious. We would be better narrative historians also. Syntax, semantics and pragmatics are part of the historian's craft too - why do you think Henry Reynolds and Kevin Windschuttle are having the 'history wars' since 2002? It may be a war of words, but words (more specifically language and its arrangement/structure) make us human. Communication makes us animal.

Two more good links in that regard:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/genpr.htm
http://www.bcli.org/pages/projects/genderfree/genderfree.html
Hahah, thanks for that. That's really awesome.

I can't wait til English is standardised like Korean was...

BronwynKate

HSC
English being standardised would be great.

But don't you think you would lose a lot of diversity if you standardised it too much?

Language is a weird beast!

I would like to have more information about how Korean was standardised if you could provide it, or give me links where I could find out for myself.

darcho

HSC
N/A
Hello people, we are meant to be talking about narrative history here, are we not?

HSC
You make a very good point.

Seeing as your first question seems to have been answered is there anything else you wish to discuss about narrative history?

X

xeuyrawp

BronwynKate said:
English being standardised would be great.

But don't you think you would lose a lot of diversity if you standardised it too much?
The biggest debate in linguistics is how English could be standardised. Do we change our speech, or change our writing?

Whichever we do, we'd lose a lot of history.
I would like to have more information about how Korean was standardised if you could provide it, or give me links where I could find out for myself.
I'd have to look for you. I usually only see it as an example of a well thought-out, comprehensive standardisation by a government.

The Brucemaster said:
You make a very good point.

Seeing as your first question seems to have been answered is there anything else you wish to discuss about narrative history?
Firstly, he didn't ask to discuss anything. He wants other people to do his work. Secondly, if he wanted to ask something, I don't think he needs an invitation to do so.

Edit: Actually, I just had a look -- there are a few excellent pages on Narrative History in the first 10 hits on google. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

darcho

HSC
N/A
Asheroth said:
Shame you caught on eventually. Ah well, 4 pages of derailed thread ain't so bad :p
hahahaha SHUT UP!!!

BronwynKate

HSC
How did you like White's take on narrative history, and what did you learn, Darcho?

Do you think it will help you understand history better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)