National Studies HISTORIOGRAPHY (2 Viewers)

blam_babe

Hey I was wonderin how many times it's appriopriate to refer to historians in an assessment. I'm doing one right now and all I seem to be doing is footnoting and shit like that. I'm getting a bit worried coz I think I've gone overboard with footnoting

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
depends on the question and the assessment. more info needed to answer ur q

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Originally posted by blam_babe
Hey I was wonderin how many times it's appriopriate to refer to historians in an assessment. I'm doing one right now and all I seem to be doing is footnoting and shit like that. I'm getting a bit worried coz I think I've gone overboard with footnoting
we were told it's good to quote a historian in every paragraph in our essays

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by poowee
wrong for ex.

the senior marker this year for indochina is cantwell. if any qns arise bout historians then he is asked. he knows a lot on indochina...he did a phd in it. therefore if u use good historians then it is going to make u look good.

snobby airlines u would nt know this as u dont even have a life outside ur bedroom let alone ur desk.
It seems a little odd refuting a 'point' made last october, but i have to for the sake of sakes... It was in this forum :)
Cantwell was not the senior marker for indochina!! Yes, he was in the vietnam war, did a phd on the topic, wrote the textbook and was senior marker for a number of years... but now he marks history extension! He said he cannot stand the "band two trash from whoop-whoop high"... you know, poowee style...

anyway, just had to get that off my chest for cantwells sake (hes my modern and ext. teacher :))

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~V~
It seems a little odd refuting a 'point' made last october, but i have to for the sake of sakes... It was in this forum :)
Cantwell was not the senior marker for indochina!! Yes, he was in the vietnam war, did a phd on the topic, wrote the textbook and was senior marker for a number of years... but now he marks history extension! He said he cannot stand the "band two trash from whoop-whoop high"... you know, poowee style...

anyway, just had to get that off my chest for cantwells sake (hes my modern and ext. teacher :))
HAHAHHAAHA GOLD!

My Dad works at your school...

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
oh really, who who who???????

If ur from the gong, i'm guessing zoltan perhaps???

but then again i have no idea...

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by ~dEjA vOuX~
we were told it's good to quote a historian in every paragraph in our essays
i dont think so. we were told to only mention historians once in a while to back up your argument. if you mention a historian every paragraph it breaks up your argument
so yeah

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~V~
oh really, who who who???????

If ur from the gong, i'm guessing zoltan perhaps???

but then again i have no idea...
Yep.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
My teacher (a HSC marker) prefers it that we mention a historian maybe 2-3 times in the entire essay. I think you can paraphrase or directly quote them, it doesn't matter, but I'm guessing quoting works best.

I found the best time to quote is if there are multiple perspectives. For example, if you're doing Russia you'll know that there's been historical debate over the period of War Communism, that's where you can wack it in.

O! And by doing that you're also covering one of the syllabus outcomes!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
one per paragraph is overload i think...maybe one per argument is ok...

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
Hey guys just wondering which paragraph do u normally tend to write out your theories on the historiography surrounding your topic issue.

Normally i start talking a bit about the historiography behind any issue in Germany 1918-1945 in the 2nd or 3rd paragraph right after the intro. Would that be alright?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i did a germany practice essay and found a quote from ian kershaw that was so perfect for the intro that i shoved it in there anyway. My teacher was originally a bit iffy about it but when i pointed out that it summed up the points well, then he agreed that it was ok. But generally, maybe you should bring historiography into the first main argument you bring up. This depends on your essay question and topic and so on but as a general rule, maybe one or two per main argument is good. Wherever that main argument comes up, then shove the historiography in there :D

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Anyone have historiography relating to the US Civil Rights Movement in the 1950's/1960's key personalities?

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
does anyone have any good quotes for the superpowers involvment in the Arab Israeli conflict?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Strictly speaking, you CAN get a band 6 in any section. But historiography really defines your response as that of high quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)