national undergraduate scholarships (1 Viewer)

sarahn

HSC
gday all

ive applied for a national undergrad scholarship, hoping to do arts/law

i got a UAI of 99.75

will this be enough for one of the scholarships....?

thanks

Ziff

HSC
N/A
sarahn said:
gday all

ive applied for a national undergrad scholarship, hoping to do arts/law

i got a UAI of 99.75

will this be enough for one of the scholarships....?

thanks
Should do. 99.75 from NSW should be more than ample. Also apply for any other scholarship you possibly can. Including Equity, Commonwealth, Group of 8 and so on.

It also depends on which state you're in though. For instance, it's easier for a person from the Northern Territory to gain that scholarship, because people in their state are overall much stupider (I say this in a flippant fashion but they do they SA version of the HSC (SASC or something?) and generally get lower scores than the SA kids) and the ANU still has to hand out scholarships to them.

lilkatie

anu scholarships are so gay, they have none that aren't based on UAI...like i got 97 and I have been offered 3 at UNSW and have got through all Usyd rounds so far cos for them you just have to get over 95 and then its all the other stuff you've done...it's really annoying as ANU doesn't give a shit if i was school capt, student of year etc
But I wanna go to ANU damn damn lol

what are the group of 8 scholarships, can i still apply?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Maybe ANU's like that because it doesn't matter a toss if you were school captain?

lilkatie

loquasagacious said:
Maybe ANU's like that because it doesn't matter a toss if you were school captain?
But like its justified if scholarships go to people who have actually contributed to the community...I mean I had a life during year 12, what kind of uni wants ppl who have no public speaking/communication/social skills if you get my point...
yeah fair enough if you get 99 then you deserve a scholarship but they should have more available for ppl >95 who actually did something during year 12, like all the other unis do

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I applied on a whim before, but I never seriously considered going to ANU, but now I am considering it but I would only probably go if I got the scholarship, would 99.05 be ok, or is it too low?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Sweets said:
I applied on a whim before, but I never seriously considered going to ANU, but now I am considering it but I would only probably go if I got the scholarship, would 99.05 be ok, or is it too low?
Unfortunately, it's probably too low :(

sarahn

HSC
*Katie* said:
But like its justified if scholarships go to people who have actually contributed to the community...I mean I had a life during year 12, what kind of uni wants ppl who have no public speaking/communication/social skills if you get my point...
yeah fair enough if you get 99 then you deserve a scholarship but they should have more available for ppl >95 who actually did something during year 12, like all the other unis do
I see where youre coming from Katie....have you applied for the Faculty of Arts regional scholarships (if youre regional and are applying for arts)

theyre based on contribution to the community, along with a good UAI (which yours certainly was)...applications have closed, but either way, good luck with everything

(and in my defence i say i played sport & did music & drama & had a vague semblance of a life throughout my hsc :) !!!!)

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
well, I'm pissed

I was one mark off being an all rounder.

I'm hoping they will bend rules for the regional scholarship, cos I'm out for this one. :(

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
i really hope they bend the rules 2.. there's a girl from another school in wagga (damn you chooette, damn you) who got .15 or something higher than i did and also wants to go to ANU, so i'm thinking that (if she applied) she is going to get it rather than me, even though we are both well above the 'usual' cut-off for regionals.. which i gathered from other forums on these scholarships is 95.
i got 98.05 btw, so nowhere near undergraduate scholarship level but ahhh well..
and to everyone saying they should take it on more than just your UAI - I hear ya! it should be taken on how well we are going to contribute to the uni community as well...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
shortie_89 said:
i really hope they bend the rules 2.. there's a girl from another school in wagga (damn you chooette, damn you) who got .15 or something higher than i did and also wants to go to ANU, so i'm thinking that (if she applied) she is going to get it rather than me, even though we are both well above the 'usual' cut-off for regionals.. which i gathered from other forums on these scholarships is 95.
i got 98.05 btw, so nowhere near undergraduate scholarship level but ahhh well..
and to everyone saying they should take it on more than just your UAI - I hear ya! it should be taken on how well we are going to contribute to the uni community as well...
ziff got it on 96something I think, last year, lucky bum him.
undergrad is on 'academic merit' only. you should have applied for coop at UNSW or something. I'm going to email ANU about my shit circumstances, and maybe they'll be sympathetic. Though, I don't think it will work. :/

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I believe Ziff picked up EAS and the five bonus points would have given him a comfortable 100.

Remember to apply for all the other scholarships around including faculty specific ones (Economics has the mitchell scholarship specifically for rural students and there are hardly any applicants so if you apply you're probably a shoe in).

There's also a load of commonwealth scholarships around which arn't that hard to score.

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
i applied for some commonwealth ones ages ago... one for being a rural student and the other for if you get centrelink benefits?? (which i do).. hopefully i can pick one of those up otherwise i am looking at a very very pov first year of uni..
had a look at the faculty ones... i'm going to do medical science so there's not really any for me there
group of 8's aren't open yet are they? i thought i read that you apply for the ANU ones after you have been accepted by ANU... anyone know?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
shortie_89 said:
i applied for some commonwealth ones ages ago... one for being a rural student and the other for if you get centrelink benefits?? (which i do).. hopefully i can pick one of those up otherwise i am looking at a very very pov first year of uni..
had a look at the faculty ones... i'm going to do medical science so there's not really any for me there
group of 8's aren't open yet are they? i thought i read that you apply for the ANU ones after you have been accepted by ANU... anyone know?
sorry, I think they're closed, they closed a month ago or so.

I got sort of offered a puny scholarship from a Sydney uni. :/ so I too am looking at a very povo year.

I applied for EAS too addy, and if I get the five I would get 103.75, so yeah :/

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
shortie_89 said:
Last year you could live on Centrelink (without working) at both self catered and catered colleges. I didn't work at all last year and besides Centrelink my only income came from poker (don't ask). If you go to a self catered college, you could STILL live off just Centrelink ($130 + $60-70 for food) gives you around $10 left over. There will be around a $30 deficit at any catered college, but that's nothing 10 hours of work a week can't fix.

Also, if you're living at college next year, there are $500 one off bursaries available from the university owned colleges (and probably the private ones too) and bursaries available from the university. They take into account your personal situation, so you may be able to get one of them cherry.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
And ten hours of work can be very easily obtained and fitted around uni.

Just try not to loose any bursary you score to neo in a smokey game of poker...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
loquasagacious said:
And ten hours of work can be very easily obtained and fitted around uni.

Just try not to loose any bursary you score to neo in a smokey game of poker...
New players always seem to win, it'd almost be a sure bet ;)

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
who is the dumbarse that didn't apply for EAS... me!!! aarrrghhh i got confused and thought i'd done it but that was something else.... fuck fuck fuck

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
Last year you could live on Centrelink (without working) at both self catered and catered colleges. I didn't work at all last year and besides Centrelink my only income came from poker (don't ask). If you go to a self catered college, you could STILL live off just Centrelink ($130 + $60-70 for food) gives you around $10 left over. There will be around a $30 deficit at any catered college, but that's nothing 10 hours of work a week can't fix.

Also, if you're living at college next year, there are $500 one off bursaries available from the university owned colleges (and probably the private ones too) and bursaries available from the university. They take into account your personal situation, so you may be able to get one of them cherry.
centrelink people confuse me. I've gone to the bloody office itself, rang up, rang up my school to get a teacher to ring up, and they tell me different things.
dude, you have that special rate of Centrelink. Apparently, I can only get that if I work for 18 months and prove I'm independent.
addy do they take EAS into account for the scholarships?
I don't think they do....eh. dammit, I hate my UAI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)