Naturally smart (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
no...what i meant is that for this post:

it depends on what you define as smartness.

you cant be naturally smart....being smart, personally, is being close to your own intellectual peak, which you cant reach without hard work.

you cant compare yourself to be smarter than others coz you are beating them. they might be already performing at their peak....so maybe they are the smarter ones.
i said "ru defending your self" and then u replied that "no i was doing it for you"....and then i was tryin' to say that that can't b possible, coz u didn't mention my name in the above (quoted) post.....don't worry..:rolleyes:

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by freaking_out
coz u didn't mention my name in the above (quoted) post
exactly my point! i didnt mention myself or anyone else...

hmmm....maybe "personally" made you think that. it was meant to be my thoughts on [anyone]being naturally smart, not me

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
I got some things to say:

1. Some people may study less and get better marks but that does not mean they are overall 'smarter' than other people. You may get better marks for the amount of study you put in but how can you compare yourself with those who think quickly and intelligently in dangerous situations e.g. verge of a car accident (mcgyver style)

2. What about those who can think of things no one else can think of? e.g. Einstein

3. Some people here may claim that they do not study much and get good marks and that could be true but is anyone actually smart enough to use that intelligence to get the best mark they can get? e.g. a guy gets 99.95 without study while a girl gets 100 with a lot of study. I'd say the girl is smarter because she milked her abilty to the max.

4. Good performance with little effort is only one of many forms of intelligence.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If you want to get into a specific course, and you're capable of it... but you're lazy, and think you're smart enough to get in without study, and fail (to achieve that mark)... then, you're not naturally smart. Because if you were, you'd have studied and made it.

On the other hand, if you're good enough to make your course with little study, then so be it. Good on ya! :D

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
I agree flyin'

Smart people are those who achieve goals and not those who say "I got close without trying".

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Guys, this argument is not valid because everyone is taking smart to mean something different.

Some of you are being trite and calling 'smart' using all of your abilities and achieving your best. This is not what this thread is about.

In this context, naturally smart is used to refer to those who can grasp a concept easily and not need to do the amount of study some people need to do to achieve reasonable marks.

Of course there are people who are both naturally smart and smart in the sense that they work to the best of their abilities. These are generally the people who achieve 99+

I am not a 'tosser' because I admit that I am naturally smart but lazy. I accept this as a trait within myself, and am quite happy with the marks I achieve relying mostly on my natural ability. I know I could achieve better with harder work, but this is just not in me.

Saul

*ss
HSC
i think we should all be socially arranged according to IQ.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
does that mean we should judge people on their intelligence quotient?

that's just bs... haha, think, politicians are dumb.

Saul

*ss
HSC
i said we should, not that we do.

Jeo

I did a total of 1/2 hour study for 4U maths this year, I got 50% in the trials.

Saul

*ss
HSC
i did bout the same, and got 75

Jeo

wow, the test you did must have been really easy

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
My brother is 100% naturally smart -- he did both well in his HSC and in an IQ test. 164 in an IQ test and for his HSC got 89.9 UAI without a day of study! He was always a nerd but in his later years of school he didnt do one ounce of homework .. became total bum and didnt study at all and he got a better UAI then wat i will get and i study my arse off! its so unfair!

Saul

*ss
HSC
haha, you're a prick jeo. You sit in these forums, and pretend to know everything, just assuming yourself to be smarter then everyone else...

Jeo

really? I said I know everything? :eek: well I dont, infact, I know nothing. And I always assume everyone is smarter than me, because its true.

crazylilmonkee

HSC
Originally posted by Saul
i think we should all be socially arranged according to IQ.
hmm how is IQ calculated anyway? how can people be judged by their IQ, what I mean is, who created IQ anyway? does that mean the inventor is the one with the highest? OK i admit i've tried it and I got 150 but I don't even know what that number means..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)