Nba Thread (1 Viewer)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
No AI, I consider Allen Iverson more of a scorer rather then a point guard. I'm looking at guys that only have to run the floor, not look to score 30+ppg. And AI is inconsistent regarding points and shooting %, not to mention his Assist/Turnover ratio isnt to impressive.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
That's true. He's a shoot first pass second type of point guard and really only became a first choice pg this season after the departure of eric snow.

Hotsauce

Denied
HSC
Iverson is a natural SG playing the point role. Basically Tommy_Lamp has provided the evidence... other "PGs" like Stephon Marbury, Chauncey Billups, Steve Francis, Rafer Alston and Dwayne Wade (who has since most to SG now after starting the season at PG) are in the same boat as AI in terms of how they play the point. When AI came in the league started off at PG but moved to SG later on in his rookie season and stayed there until the start of this season.

I think Chris Andersen was worthy of a SD invite this year... only on the basis of his moves in the 2004 SD contest. The man can dunk, but sucked this year.

And that Webber to 76ers trade makes Philly a major force in the East if he can stay healthy.

cantoboi

Top 5 PG's currently

Depends on what ur asking for
If ur asking for the best, as in overall talents its gotta be
1. The Franchise
2. Starbury
3. B Diddy
4. Stevie Nash
5. Bibby

but if ur asking the best PG that makes his team better than its

1. J Kidd (just ask vinsanity)
2. Stevie Nash
3. Bibby
4. J Tinsley
5. Parker (when his hot)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
highoctane said:
Depends on what ur asking for
If ur asking for the best, as in overall talents its gotta be
1. The Franchise
2. Starbury
3. B Diddy
4. Stevie Nash
5. Bibby

but if ur asking the best PG that makes his team better than its

1. J Kidd (just ask vinsanity)
2. Stevie Nash
3. Bibby
4. J Tinsley
5. Parker (when his hot)
I know Lebron isnt a true pg, but he's up there in terms of making the players in his team better. Nearly 8 assists per game and coming 2nd in steals, not to mention 49% shooting.

I dont really rate Franchise as a PG, he's becoming used more as a SG with looks and open shots created for him at Orlando. He hasnt got a decent goto guy to dish it out to, like he did with Yao.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
-=TRADE NEWS=-

- Sixers acquire Jamal Mashburn, Rodney Rogers; Hornets get Glenn Robinson

- Sixers trade for Chris Webber, Matt Barnes, Michael Bradley; Kings get Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner

- Knicks acquire Maurice Taylor; Houston gets Vin Baker, Moochie Norris, 2006 second-round pick

- Bucks send Keith Van Horn to Mavericks for Calvin Booth, Alan Henderson, cash

- Cavaliers acquire Jiri Welsch; Celtics get first-round pick

- Bucks send Mike James, Zendon Hamilton to Rockets for Reece Gaines, draft picks

-=REPORTED BUT NOT CONFIRMED=-

- Atlanta send Antoine Walker to Boston for Gary Payton

- New Orleans send Baron Davis to Golden State for Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
-=TRADE NEWS=-

- Sixers acquire Jamal Mashburn, Rodney Rogers; Hornets get Glenn Robinson

- Sixers trade for Chris Webber, Matt Barnes, Michael Bradley; Kings get Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner

- Knicks acquire Maurice Taylor; Houston gets Vin Baker, Moochie Norris, 2006 second-round pick

- Bucks send Keith Van Horn to Mavericks for Calvin Booth, Alan Henderson, cash

- Cavaliers acquire Jiri Welsch; Celtics get first-round pick

- Bucks send Mike James, Zendon Hamilton to Rockets for Reece Gaines, draft picks
76'ers look strong now. Delambert,webber,korver,iguodola,AI and a healthy mashburn off the bench.

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
gotta feel sorry for gary
i wont be surprised if he decided to retire... what makes you think he's gonna play for the hawks? ...he didn't even wanna play for the celtics

and yer, i just made all those trades in nba live :D

bobbie212

You can’t measure a point guard simply by the classic criteria of assist/turnover and all that shit. I guarantee if you put any one of the other ‘top five’ points in place of Iverson in the sixers, they wouldn’t be leading the Atlantic. Iverson is not one of those pure points like starbury and nash etc but the way he leads and carries his team is the way of a champion point guard that his team mates can look up to. Obviously the way he has lead the team is through his point scoring so they can win, but he still has been distributing the ball like any good point guard with something like 7+ assists a game. He is also killing the league in steals I think which is another way he is leading the team, through example. (a lot of his steals are through hustle). . His turnovers are pretty high, but he has an aggressive game and that is expected. I would put him as the top point in the league at the moment. Sixers are gonna be crazy wit C webb.

edit: its close between nash and iverson, prob nash wit his nose in front due to his teams record. But you look at the whole team and you can see why.

Hotsauce

Denied
HSC
nuffsaid said:
gotta feel sorry for gary
i wont be surprised if he decided to retire... what makes you think he's gonna play for the hawks? ...he didn't even wanna play for the celtics
I'll be surprised if he even reports to the Hawks, who seem to be building their franchise around Al Harrington and Josh Smith.

nuffsaid said:
and yer, i just made all those trades in nba live :D
Sweet, at least I now know I'm not the only one :cool:

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
Firstly, Marbury is in no way a pure point guard, he's a shoot first pass second guard. Your missing my point bobbie212, I'm ranking the pure points. You make a good case for Iverson and your completely right, but I'm not talking about the ability to score points. You can't compare Nash to Iverson. Iverson can't carry a team like Nash can. Remember, last year Phoenix had the exact same team (bar Quentin Richardson) and they finished with 35 odd wins. Put Nash in the mix and their one of the best teams in the league.

cantoboi

I dunno

iverson cant carry a team? Wot bout the 2001 NBA finals appearance and 2001 NBA Season MVP?

The MVP criteria is that ur team must have a winning record, an improvement in statistics but most importantly a players ability to make his team play to a standard that is above their abilities. (or making his teammates better)

Iverson is a unique PG, one that can both dish and score at a very effective rate. the fact that his scoring average is so high doesnt make him a primary SG and secondary PG. the great magic averaged almost 21 points (same number as marbury and francis now) in his prime so does that make him not a pure PG??

The argument u can make about iverson is that he doesnt run the pick and roll enough as i believe that is a desginated play for PGs bcoz he simply doesnt have that karl malone, dirk or amare type of PF scorer he can depend on to run it but with c webb i believe that will change and pple will have a whole new impression of AIs PG abilities

Plz note that the players around iverson are not the likes of amare, matrix nor q rich. any PG can get 10 assists playing wit those guys, phoenix just didnt have a PG b4 nash and he was just the final piece of the puzzle whilst AI is the main piece of the puzzle in philly.

bobbie212

lets face it, pure points are a dying breed. I disagree with what you said about marbury tommy, ever since he first came to the league up till now he was known as someone who could make his teammates better. He has had a very unfortunate career, and the teams he has found himself in have mostly needed him to take on alot of the scoring, and that is why he looks like a shoot first, pass second point guard. Naturally, he is a bit of both, he has both new skool and old skool in him. Anyway lets cut out this 'pure point' bullshit and tell me who are your top five point guards in the league.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
WHY IS TIMBERWOLVES BEING KILLED T^T
they have probabli the best PF in the world plus good ol spree yet they're playing like the sydney kings. O.O
On the other hand, Yao and T-mac is working it =D

S

Shuter

Airness said:
WHY IS TIMBERWOLVES BEING KILLED T^T
they have probabli the best PF in the world plus good ol spree yet they're playing like the sydney kings. O.O
On the other hand, Yao and T-mac is working it =D
Because everyone else is sucking besides KG and occasionally Sczerbiak

cantoboi

There are a couple of reasons to wolves struggles

Sprees ageing, cassells always hurt, olawakandi is playing but his not really playing (if u know wot i mean), KGs injured and wallys been in and out of the starting lineup when he really should be starting over spree, and hudsons afraid to shoot.

i think the main reason that they're struggling is because of cassell. wolves are a perimeter based team on offense and a zone them up with kg playing C team but their offense have been deadset hopeless of late bcoz cassell hasnt been able to stretch the defense with his consistent mir range shot like he did last year. last year he was able to do that and it gave kg and spree more operating room and easier scoring opportunities whilst now kg struggles to even find a layup although his stats are still consistent but his just not the same.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Yeah, Wolves NEED a better pg than cassel, i would of thought they would of been active in the trade deadline. It's common sense, but most teams who look like genuine layoff contenders have a creative point guard with a solid goto man to dish to. Wolves lack that at the moment, with KG creating for himself half the time.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
and timberwolves had such high expectations at teh beginnign of the season *sigh ....its so tragic T^T frick western conference is so competitive....they're on the verge of plummeting out of playoff contention =/

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
heh olowokandi... probably the shittest #1 overall pick ever... with kwame brown
his trademark move "the kandy kane" is ridiculous as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)