Nba Thread (1 Viewer)

bobbie212

gota throw in AI, if the combo of him and webber works. He carried the team up until now, and now he needs to lead them into the conference semi's or finals. If he does, he is one of the top candidates. No one will touch him in ppg.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
If Cavs make it to the playoffs, and Lebron and big Z post up consistent numbers dont write of Lebron for MVP just yet.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
KG MVP i say!! he's still the most efficient player so show some respect...not his fault he's got a crap team.....j.k. ^^

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm just pissed off that C-Webb got traded...I hope the trade is worth it though, cause Kings have good offence even without Webber, so I think it'll come down to defence.

I was in the Philippines last month and there are like 4 NBA games shown every day! I miss it already

S

Shuter

KG still has posted the best numbers of anyone, similar to last year when he won it. He's also got the highest efficiency in the league by far http://www.nba.com/statistics/2004/...rs/LeagueLeadersEFFQuery.html?topic=0&stat=27.

I tihnk he thouraly deserves it, and should of won in 2003 as well anyway. He is the best player in the game and has been for the last 3 years. But I still have my doubts he'll get it this year. I would pick LeBron to get it, which may be fair enough, he's been doing an awesome job this year.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Shuter said:
KG still has posted the best numbers of anyone, similar to last year when he won it. He's also got the highest efficiency in the league by far http://www.nba.com/statistics/2004/...rs/LeagueLeadersEFFQuery.html?topic=0&stat=27.

I tihnk he thouraly deserves it, and should of won in 2003 as well anyway. He is the best player in the game and has been for the last 3 years. But I still have my doubts he'll get it this year. I would pick LeBron to get it, which may be fair enough, he's been doing an awesome job this year.
he mite not get it but we still appreciate what he brings to the game. Lebron's been quite impressive but =/. duncan will throw a last second comeback in the MVP stakes like in the last game between spurs and cavaliers =D

bobbie212

kg isnt even a contender. If you can't take your team to the playoffs (even if its not your fault) you shouln't be considered, thats just the way it is.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
he's got the worst #1 draft pick ever as center, and two ageing guards past their prime, i think he's doing well, but probaly not enough for MVP.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
bobbie212 said:
kg isnt even a contender. If you can't take your team to the playoffs (even if its not your fault) you shouln't be considered, thats just the way it is.
but they still hav a chance to make it!! its not completely over =D they mite just edge out kobe and the lakers

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Im tipping Nash not to get mvp. Yeah he's contributed extremely well, but he doesnt have a good defensive game. Last time i checked you needed a pretty solid all round game to get mvp.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Man...to giv out MVPs based on whether u make the playoffs or not is just gay...freakin ppl like AI and T-mac who had to carry entire franchises on their backs dun get no recognition -_-

Hotsauce

Denied
HSC
I can see the points for Iverson, Garnett etc. being leading contenders for MVP however it seems to me that such points are based on the individual players' statistics this season. The history of the MVP awards clearly dictates that the player named MVP belongs (leads his team) to one of the best - preferably the best record in the NBA. Just look at recent award recipients:

2004 - Kevin Garnett (T'Wolves with 58-24 record, #2 in NBA)
2003 - Tim Duncan (Spurs with 60-22 record, #1 in NBA)
2002 - Tim Duncan (Spurs with 58-24 record, #2 in NBA)
2001 - Allen Iverson (76ers with 56-26 record, #2 in NBA)
2000 - Shaquille O'Neal (Lakers with 67-15 record, #1 in NBA)
1999* - Karl Malone (Jazz with 37-13 record, #1 in NBA)
1998 - Michael Jordan (Bulls with 62-20 record, #1 in NBA)

*lockout shortened (50 game) season

All those players had strong seasons individually and simultaneously led their teams to great record. Even if Iverson has numbers better than he has right now he will not win the MVP award for this season. The powers that be who have the ability to cast their vote on the MVP this season will see he has nice stats yet fails to lead his team (at time of writing anyway) to a .500 record in one of the worst divisions in NBA history. The same can be said about Garnett whose team is still below .500.

As it stands the eligible contenders for MVP based on the above argument are Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki and Shaquille O'Neal/Dwayne Wade whose respective teams rank in the upper echelon of the NBA.

With all that said my pick for MVP is Steve Nash. Sure critics say "look at his team: Matrix, Stat, Q-Rich etc" but some forget that Stephon Marbury had the same team last season minus Richardson and that team had a horror season. Nash has been the catalyst for the Suns' turnaround from bottom dwellers to title contenders. He's not the best defensive player, however, the Suns seldom play hard-nosed defense meaning Nash doesn't have to play tight defense all the time. When your team averages 110+ points per game suddenly defense doesnt become top priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)