• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need 1 more unit :O (1 Viewer)

kazemagic

HSC
For my HSC I'm planning to do:
Eng Adv(2U)
Physics(2U)
Chem(2u)
Maths Ext1(3U)

So yea... the problem is I'm missing 1 unit. I'm not sure what to do :S Should I do 3U eng? But my english is crap, and I'm not creative at all- I absolutely hate creative writing. Should I do 4U maths? But I'm already finding 3U maths trig proving questions hard. Or should I do another subject(biology) and waste extra time + money on doing something I'm not interested in.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Last edited:

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
For my HSC I planning to do:
Eng Adv(2U)
Physics(2U)
Chem(2u)
Maths Ext1(3U)

So yea... the problem is I'm missing 1 unit. I'm not sure what to do :S Should I do 3U eng? But my english is crap, and I'm not creative at all- I absolutely hate creative writing. Should I do 4U maths? But I'm already finding 3U maths trig proving questions hard. Or should I do another subject and waste extra time + money on doing something I'm not interested in.

Any guidance would be appreciated
I would not recommend you to do 4U Maths.

Skeptyks

HSC
I suggest you do another subject. I see your not really a humanities person so perhaps another science? 4U will require lots of work if you find trig questions hard in year 11 and I can't really speak for 3U English... I'm pretty sure they just write essays similar to Advanced but are given like 50minutes - 1hour to reproduce 1.5k or so word essays or something...

zombies

HSC
But according to his profile thing Kaze is doing his HSC in 2014 - meaning that he's in yr10 this year? If that's right, then I recommend that you just see how yr11 goes, before planning your yr12 subjects.

kazemagic

HSC
Ye thanks, if i were going to do another subject, I would only choose biology. Absolutely hate commerce related subjects. Yeah, atm year 10

zombies

HSC
Yeah, it's understandable that you're finding 3U questions hard if you're only in yr10 :) Don't worry.

Are you definitely finding English hard though? Because I'm sure doing ext could help improve your adv marks as well.

I'm doing Studies of Religion I (which is one unit) as my filler subject, since I'd have 11 units otherwise. Maybe you could do that, if your school offers it. It's a bit boring (depending on your teacher) but it's interesting to learn more about religion, I guess. It's a bit of a bludge subject for me =P I'm in it right now (double period on Monday afternoons whoo) sitting up the back, eating my lunch and browsing the internet lolol.

But you have 9 units.. and you're going to need 12 units for your yr11, just saying.

Last edited:

kazemagic

HSC
lol I've been doing religion for the past 6 years. Just not my thing lol :/ and I'm not prepared to have a crappy mark to be contribute to my ATAR
As for year 11 subject selection, imma follow this guide. http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=264957
God, I regret doing commerce+ist for my electives.

I'm fine with english, the essay part. But but but the creative writing... I won't be able to think of anything to write about. I bet my imagination is worse than a kindy. Dead set.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You cant do 4u in year 11, you only need 10 units in year 12, so you can do what you've selected. Just pick up 3u english or SLR or something for year 11 and then drop it for year 12.

zombies

HSC
Well, SOR wouldn't have to contribute to your ATAR. Only your best 10 units are selected, and you could just do it for yr11, then drop it in yr12 (which is what I'm planning on doing).

kazemagic

HSC
Hmm... Alright thanks for the idea guys :) I guess I will just wait until year 11, then decide on it. Guess I'll be trying 3u english and biology in yr 11

smarcus6

HSC
you could do a simple one unit course like studies of religion...

zombies

HSC
^ He said earlier in this thread that he did it for 6yrs, and didn't want to keep doing it :) I suggested it also.

theycallmebob

HSC
you should definitely do as many units as possible in year 11 to try each thing out, like even up to 14. my big regret is being stuck with the subjects i chose.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry too much about your subjects for year 11. Pick whatever takes your fancy, if it doesn't work out, drop it at the end. The important thing is that you know which subjects you'll want to keep when you get into year 12. If your looking for a quick extra 1 unit, I'd suggest SLR. Quick, easy, and you get to exercise :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Do Yr 11 first, don't try and hold onto previous ideas of what to take in Yr 12 and see where Yr 11 leaves you. Start Yr 11 with many units, and you can feel the satisfaction of pruning them back :)

See how you go in yr 11 math before deciding which level to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)