Need Extension 2 Maths for B.Commerce/Science (Adv. Mathematics) UNSW??? (1 Viewer)

wonjeee78

HSC
It only says assumed knowledge is Extension 1, but recommended is Extension 2.............

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Not needed. I have some friends who only did Ext 1 and they're handling things well.

wonjeee78

HSC
thanks for the quick reply, and also

i want to do investment banking...is this a good degree for it?

HSC
The more math the better i would say for investment banking. You will probably be making some serious cash if you are good and lucky enough.

runnable

HSC
thanks for the quick reply, and also

i want to do investment banking...is this a good degree for it?
Huge interest with investment banking in recent years!

This is good degree for development and knowledge.

Keep your WAM up, maintain good ECs and you'll be good for the interview stage. If it's a drag on your WAM, drop Adv Maths as IBs don't care about your degree as much if you have good marks and CV.

Towheda

HSC
i wanted to study finance in uni, it says recommended ext 1, but i dropped it in yr 12... would any1 know how long it takes to do a bridging course ?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It only says assumed knowledge is Extension 1, but recommended is Extension 2.............
They recommend it because they go through some 4u stuff like complex numbers and integration and the like. So it's an advantage if you've already done it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i wanted to study finance in uni, it says recommended ext 1, but i dropped it in yr 12... would any1 know how long it takes to do a bridging course ?
Finance at uni? You need general maths for that. Seriously. I'm studying for finance now (test tomorrow) and the maths is general maths in difficulty.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^but understanding the concept is way over general maths level. you are prob doing 1613 which is a joke subject (at least mathematically)

to OP: do what you are good at tbh. I honestly think that b comm + science is more appropriate for actuarial/typically finance job/trading etc.

runnable

HSC
^Then what degree do you suggest for investment banking? :)
Honestly, any degree that you can get high marks in and have flexibility. Don't do Law unless you actually like Law.

If you are neutral, I would suggest BComm with the flexibility to do internal transfer for a combined degree so you can extend your degree if you miss out on internships in your penultimate to try again next year. Best combination of getting high marks, efficiency and degree length.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Do what you like. Don't do Adv Maths if you don't like it. Don't do Law if you don't like Law.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
^but understanding the concept is way over general maths level. you are prob doing 1613 which is a joke subject (at least mathematically)

to OP: do what you are good at tbh. I honestly think that b comm + science is more appropriate for actuarial/typically finance job/trading etc.
But understanding maths skills =/= understanding financial concepts

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
what maths teaches you is logical + problem thinking skills. finance and maths skills are highly correlated (excuse my pun) in that respect.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
what maths teaches you is logical + problem thinking skills. finance and maths skills are highly correlated (excuse my pun) in that respect.
Perhaps, but I don't know... I mean sure, having maths skills will allow you to figure out stuff better but I'm not sure that'll translate directly into understanding new concepts. Arguable, I'll admit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)