Need Help Choosing a Laptop for Uni (1 Viewer)

shota

HSC
Hello everyone,

I'm studying Commerce/Asian Studies at ANU this year and recently got accepted to Johns for my accomodation. I've been searching desperately for a laptop but simple can't choose one. My price range is below 2,000, hopefully around the 1600-1800 mark. I've looked at some Toshiba's such as Satellite A200 and the Satellite Pro S200, along with the Macbook, a couple of Dell's, and an HP.

My priority will be programs for Uni but I'd like to be able to store some music and video's i guess so a reasonably sized Hard Drive along with a DVD Burner would be nice. I don't need an awesome Graphics card but I'd like a decent one. I've looked through a few laptop threads but it hasn't really helped in choosing so far.

Any help would be appreciated

Evilo

HSC
1st of all welcome to johns.

secondly lets have a look at your requirements for a laptop

* word processing
* microsoft office
* large disk drive
* Non gaming

I'd be pretty suprised if you can't find something suitable. The toshibas are probably goign to be overpriced (despite the fact i have the Toshiba Portege A200 + i've previosuly owned the satellite). To be honest it's probably going to come down to what you can get for a good price and on special. I'm biased against macs, but the dells always have some good deals.

Because of "the network" (if i was you) i would consider investing in a 500GB external hard drive to run off your computer. they cost about $152 at the moment. Its probably going to be more cost effective that trying to get it built into a laptop (which will consume power and weight).

That should get you started with some research. It should be pretty easy to find a basic laptop that runs xp + office.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Hey I happen to have bought a Satellite A200 not too long ago. It was discounted quite a bit, but I still think it might have been overpriced lol:rolleyes: At the moment, I dunno if it's good, but if I find anything then I'll bring it to light. ANyway, see you at John. :)

kretzy

HSC
Personally I'd go with the mid range Macbook, but then I'm an Apple fan from way back. The model with the DVD burner is only $1749 (that's the education price btw) and at the moment you can get a free iPod Nano if you buy one (or $200 cash back on any other iPod purchase). They're great little computers, really perfect for the average student.

55746187max

HSC
hey bro,

i got myself a dell inspiron 1720

originally cost 1 500, but i upgraded it online and it came up to 1 800

im not complaining, amazing comp, does everything i need, 17" screen off the rail 2

i reccomend checking out the dell XPS range

www.dell.com.au

at the end of the day though, i suggest get one that is tailored to your needs and is aesthetically appealing

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
The fact that you've posted here indicates that you don't have too much of an idea about computer.

Bearing that in mind, I'm suggesting a dell. I have a dell laptop, and it's been brilliant. You pretty much get to configure everything you want from their website, and their warranty terms are really good as well (Dell would send a tech to your place instead of you needing to send your computer away). I'll also suggest getting the extended warranties which includes stuff like accident and theft protection

Evilo

HSC
"Dell would send a tech to your place instead of you needing to send your computer away" - remember that "onsite" service can cost extra. But yep they can help you out.

If i was you i would invite a mate over and just go on the internet and buy a dell with his advice. With the basics you want, it would be pretty hard to muck it up :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
DON'T BUY ANYTHING

In 2008 there will be a laptop leasing scheme with Dell through the university. You'll be able to lease a laptop at a very low price and at the end of the year have an option to purchase.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
DON'T BUY ANYTHING

In 2008 there will be a laptop leasing scheme with Dell through the university. You'll be able to lease a laptop at a very low price and at the end of the year have an option to purchase.
sweet... that sounds really interesting. have you got more details?

google reveals Uni of Tas has a similar scheme going but it costs $300 per month (which is a rort)

http://www.utas.edu.au/itr/procserv/laptops/index.html

Last edited:

blacksunset

HSC
shota said:
Hello everyone,

I'm studying Commerce/Asian Studies at ANU this year and recently got accepted to Johns for my accomodation. I've been searching desperately for a laptop but simple can't choose one. My price range is below 2,000, hopefully around the 1600-1800 mark. I've looked at some Toshiba's such as Satellite A200 and the Satellite Pro S200, along with the Macbook, a couple of Dell's, and an HP.

My priority will be programs for Uni but I'd like to be able to store some music and video's i guess so a reasonably sized Hard Drive along with a DVD Burner would be nice. I don't need an awesome Graphics card but I'd like a decent one. I've looked through a few laptop threads but it hasn't really helped in choosing so far.

Any help would be appreciated
You don't need an external hard drive until you pretty much fill your laptop.. I have just bought a new one for Uni, and I bought an ASUS, because on the reliability testings they last year, it was the only one to get SIX stars on everything.
Avoid ACER, they scored the lowest, Toshiba came in second, but you are paying more for the name rather than quality. Dell would be the only other one I reccommend, as the others are all failing on reliability tests... and avoid HP too. I have an ASUS from the F35 series and it cost me around 1300, which was a fantastic price for everything I got from it.
Check it out - and feel free to PM me if you want me to send you any more specific information.:)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
I got myself a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 a month or so back - very purty, although a little heavy on needless 'executive' data protection features. $1,400 (via their website - I don't think there's anywhere cheaper) for a solid and reliable piece. For the record though, my quibbles (however slight they may be): no Vista, no DVD burner, shitty graphics card.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Evilo said:
"Dell would send a tech to your place instead of you needing to send your computer away" - remember that "onsite" service can cost extra. But yep they can help you out.

If i was you i would invite a mate over and just go on the internet and buy a dell with his advice. With the basics you want, it would be pretty hard to muck it up :)
it might cost extra if you are on the most basic support/warranty option. It is worth it upgrading the cover to extended + onsite if you are a luddite though. That said if you're pretty enough i'm sure you can get the local college nerd to help you out with tech support.

Evilo

HSC
khing said:
i'm sure you can get the local college nerd to help you out with tech support.
*tear* looks in mirror. ok ok there's others. btw khing i recognise your screename, you're pretty techy youself mr wiki :p

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Ahh well I do my best to be nice. It happens to me too..

If you ever see me on DM, say hi :)

Evilo

HSC
Hagaren said:
Dell Xps-M1330
i was thinking of getting one of those myself, but i'll wait until later in the year.

bikapika

HSC
bought a macbook sr 2.2ghz white online with my education discount last night, shipped today, should be delivered by tomorow lol apple is so efficient

apparently i bought some other stuff for my macbook so im not going to buy an external hard drive lol no more p2p

Evilo

HSC
120GB Seagate for $99 @ officeworks
500GB Western Digital for $152 @ ht.com.au/harvery norman

bikapika

HSC
Evilo said:
120GB Seagate for $99 @ officeworks
500GB Western Digital for $152 @ ht.com.au/harvery norman
wow!!!!! thanks for your reminder man i never knew im going to get one of those babes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)