Hello, i'm about to do my Y11 yearly examination for english advanced, i need some help, tips and advice on writing critical studies (The text i'm doing is King Lear) as its fairly new to me, and i find it difficult grasp and understand.
I’m in the exact same position you are at the moment (also doing King Lear for Mod B), here’s some tips/advice I’ve been using.
• Getting familiar with the text. My class read the entire play, and as we went, I annotated parts/quotes/ideas, literally anything I knew I could build on and could come back to later.
- I also annotated according to themes, using index tabs with different colours so I could differentiate between them. Highlight techniques and constantly asking “what does this reveal?” during reading is always beneficial for me. Also good for highlighting key moments/quotes to memorise for your exam!
• Develop your critical view. Your honest interpretations of characters, themes, concepts, the overall play is very important. This builds your textual integrity, which can be broken into two parts:
- How do all the different elements of the play (themes, motifs, ideas) come together?
- How does this text remain relevant in different contexts?
• Practice essays/paragraphs, literally anything to help you develop your critical view and writing tasks. Our teacher also has us discuss with one another our paragraphs and sometimes peer edit, so if you have other students in your class you can share with, I highly recommend it.
• Make sure your structure is consistent in your essays. All the fundamental elements need to be incorporated in one way or another within your paragraph. Your analysis is really important, make sure you apply your quotes with a technique that is ALWAYS LINKED BACK TO THE QUESTION! Ensure your quotes are not only relevant, but answer the question and justify the significance.
- This is also why it is important to choose quotes that are flexible so you can apply them to any essay question.
I hope these tips help you like they have helped me. Good luck on your exam!