Need help preparing for next year Preliminary! (1 Viewer)

KingTings

HSC
Hey guys, First post!!
I'm in the last week of year 10 and about to enter year 11 (NSW) . I really want to start getting ahead of my year in aim to increase my rank, though i'm not sure how. I don't mind studying but i have no clue on how to study for my prelim courses and get prepared :confused:.
The subjects i currently have chosen are:
2U Math
Physics
Chem
Economics
Business Studies
3U English.

Just seeking advice from pre year 11/12 students that can potentially help me get ahead of my grade. :read:.

tazhossain99

HSC
1. Read the syllabus for each subject to know what you are learning next year and the year after
2. Utilise a note taking system (e.g. typing up documents for each topic being taught OR cornell notes with loose paper)
3. Avoid procrastination. Use tools like Cold Turkey to help you
4. Dont give up or slack off. Attempt to be consistent throughout the years. Consistency at an optimal level of productivity will put you above others
5. Past papers are the key to success, once you've learned all necessary content. Do a crap ton of them, especially during hsc

Hope that helps :)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I'll give you a tangible short term plan that you can follow

Up to the 23rd or 24th or December, aim to do the following:

1. Continue studying your Math concepts from school and make the effort to redo topics you struggled in
2. Work on your creative writing skills for English if you can fit in the time.

I'd then probably take a nice long break until maybe the 3rd or 4th of Jan and use that time to relax and recoup your thoughts. As soon as that day hits you should be aiming to do the following until school starts.

1. Read up on the new syllabus changes for English in 2018 for Advanced and Extension, they can be found here

http://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/assets/english_advanced/english-advanced-stage-6-syllabus-2017.pdf
http://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/ass.../english-extension-stage-6-syllabus-2017.pdf\

(P.S. for English extension you might want to find out what your school is going to do so you can maybe start reading the books or related materials in the genre)

2. Pick up a 2U Maths book and start going through the first few topics (algebra, linear relationships, functions...) however many you can fit reasonably as these topics don't have too many new things in them. This of course is the most challenging part and people often seek external help like tutors to guide them.

3. Read your Year 11 English books for the year.

4. Prepare and organise yourself so your extremely productive for the first few weeks of school.

When school starts I'd then follow the advice provided above :)

KingTings

HSC
Thanks for the advice! I'm just concerned that past papers may not be as relevant due to syllabus changes.

KingTings

HSC
I'll make sure to catch up on that! I've started going through textbooks which I've received from teachers. Thanks again :smile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)