NEED HELP - Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

The1984Proletariat

HSC
Okay guys I was hoping people could help with my subject selection.

We recently just got out recommendations and I got recommended for everything but Extension 1 Math. I've been trying to figure out my preferences but I'm interested in so many different subjects that I'm not sure what to choose. Here's a list of subjects I'm interested in. I'd love some help or advice :)

Definite subjects:
Advanced English
SOR 1 (go to a Catholic school and I'm not gonna waste 2 units on RE)

Interested subjects:

English Extension 1
English is one of my favourite subjects and probably one of the ones I'm best at but I'm not sure if its worth me doing Extension 1.

Mathematics
I really can't decide if I wanna do maths or not. If I do, it'll definitely be Mathematics and not general. Its not that I'm bad at math, I'm just not very interested in it or motivated to do the work.

Humanities
  • Economics
  • Business Studies
  • Legal Studies
  • Modern History
  • Ancient History

I'm really interested in all the subjects but I know I can't do them all. So far my order of preference for them is economics, modern, legal, business and then ancient, but any advice would help. :)

Science
I don't think I will choose a science, but if I do, I really enjoy bio and chem.

Anyway so those are all the subjects I'm looking at, I'd love any advice on subject difficulty, content, etc and what you guys would do in my situation.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd personally advise to pick the highest level of mathematics that you are allowed to do, as interests change and you may end up wanting to go into a field/uni degree that requires 2/3 units worth of mathematics.

Do you have a field that you are perhaps interested in going into in the near future?

Have a look at some year 12 notes to see you'd be able to motivate yourself to learn the subject material when the time comes

Also consider looking at previous cohorts performance in the respective subjects, and which teachers are most likely to teach these subjects.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Biology is a lot of rote writing.

Chemistry is rote writing + calculation, i.e. a higher grasp of concepts

imo try Ext1 at the least, you can drop it if you don't like it.

if you perform at humanities the best and are most interested in those type of subjects then go for it, since it seems you like it the best and that will be what will keep you motivated throughout the year.

KotaBear99

HSC
My advice probably isn't going to help you as much as the others...but I was always told to choose subjects I was good at, and that I was passionate about...
Having an idea of what you want to do in the future will help also.

jjuunnee

HSC
I think you should do subjects that will give you a wide range of uni and job opportunities eg. doing chemistry can help you get into any science course, maths is required if you want to become a teacher i think, economics for when you want to go into finance, legal for law, etc

Also choose subjects that you enjoy, are good at, and will challenge you too

the_matrix

HSC
If you're planning to further your education in university, what course are you aiming for? Many degrees have Mathematics 2U as presumed knowledge and I'm 99% sure that it will be a prerequisite for numerous Usyd courses (other unis will quite likely conform to this idea soon).

Considering that you love English so much, you should ask your fellow y11 and 12 students about it. Generally speaking, if you have an interest in a subject you are likely to do well in that subject :)

From what I gather, Economics is not as easy as everyone thinks (i.e. not like commerce).

Pick subjects that you have lots of interest in. if there are any doubts (relating to interest, knowledge, etc) in any subjects you've chosen, make sure you address them immediately or you'll end up like me - I knew I was weak at chem but I chose it because I thought I would be able to catch up and the scaling is good, although I've caught up I've lost complete interest in this subject and hence am not doing well. I can't drop it but I can't just not care about it because it will drag my ATAR down D;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)