need help to print screen movies into screen shots!!! (1 Viewer)

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
i have a school assessment which involves using MS powerpoint etc
well anyways, i wanted to print screen the movies im watching which has to do with my school assessment.

example:
i play the movie "dangerous minds" using windows media player and i print screen the movie and i copy and paste it on "paint" but the problem is when i want the movie to take screen shots but the copied screen i copied the movie still moves in paint and i wanted it to freeze as a screen shot but eventually it plays at the same time as i watch the movie on "paint" i've tried pausing it and print screen on it, but the movie keeps moving.

Assasinator_2

HSC
This is caused by the video overlay (what that is, you don't need to know, it's just a way to make the video play better/have less compatibility problems as far as i know), and is why sometimes if you bring a window with black on it over the video file, you'll see the video file play through the black. It is because the black is the overlay colour.

What it does with overlays is effectively makes the video a 'black box' and then your video card plays the video on that black. That's why when you printscreen it, you're printscreening the black, but it doesn't capture the video itself because that's hardware accelerated (in the same way that you don't screenshot a mouse pointer - it's hardware accelerated too). For the geeks, that's why it'll play through any of the overlay colour (default black) from any window - the gfx card throws the moving video onto the screen frame after the frame has been passed to the graphics card for rendering.

In windows media player 10, to turn it off, follow these handy screenshot instructions:

Firstly, go tools -> options

Choose the "performance" tab and press "advanced" down the bottom.

Tick "Use high quality mode". The "Use Overlays" option will untick itself.

Hit apply. It'll say something about restarting the video, and that's fine. Hit ok.

Then you should be able to printscreen the video as required.

After taking your screenies, if you want, change it back to using overlays. It may prevent some problems later down the track when videos that you try to play fuck up without overlays being used. I've never had a problem with it off, though, so I just leave it off, but as you can see, I know how to fix it if I do have a problem.

Last edited:

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
Assasinator_2 said:
Tick "Use high quality mode". The "Use Overlays" option will untick itself.
^^^
I've tried it but it wont work and i have windows media player 9

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If you have nero showtime you can use that to copy frames. Otherwise do what the other person said.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
HotShot said:
simpler solution try it: pause the movie and then use print screen.!
you'll find that dosent usually work.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
go to display properties -> settings tab -> advance -> troubleshoot tab -> move the hardware acceleration lower one block

keep moving lower and keep trying print screen until it works

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Woahh too much effort for a simple problem.

Download Media Player Classic (it's not very big).

Open the file in that, skip to where you want, pause movie, then go to File->Save Image.

Done, and done.

Raginsheep

HSC
Open Media Player 9 and then open it again so that you'll have two versions of it running at the same time. Play the movie on the 2nd one and use that to take screenshots with Print Screen.

Assasinator_2

HSC
You need to work out how to disable the video overlay in your player. That IS the problem - I can assure you. I have nfi where it is in WMP9, cause I don't use it (I don't use WMP10 either, but I found it to write the guide), but it should be in the options -> video -> advanced features somewhere, or something around that.

edit: i noticed in my screenie there's a dvd 'use overlays' option. remove that, too, if you're using a DVD as the source, and that may help.

Either way, find where the overlay option is and remove that mofo.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
with all my hard e-work searching all over the net for something to fix my solution,
there's a 100% better way for me to get screen shots..

i went to download VideoLAN and it has a screen shot option, so anyone who wants the link to download it, here's the link, u dont need to worry about fixing its options etc on its program....
thanks for all the help btw.

VideoLAN:
http://www.downseek.com/download/32722.asp

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
The same thing happens to me when i uase real player...

How do i change the overlays option on real player? I can't find it...

The files i am using only work on real player so i can't use an alterative player! :S help!!!

sunny

meh.
HSC
miss_b said:
The same thing happens to me when i uase real player...

How do i change the overlays option on real player? I can't find it...

The files i am using only work on real player so i can't use an alterative player! :S help!!!

You can get Real Player Alternative, which will work under Media Player Classic.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
sunny said:
You can get Real Player Alternative, which will work under Media Player Classic.
When i try to save the image, it doesn't work..

I get a pop up saying GetCurrentImage failed, hr=80004001

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My print screen just dosent work. ive tried Control/shift/alt etc etc -Print screen and still nothing.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)