need help with a writing task with a song (1 Viewer)

Legend-X

HSC
First of all I'm not sure whether we are supposed to count the musical elements/techniques as english/literary techniques... I assume we are NOT looking at the music videos but rather the lyrics (and maybe musical elements)

Secondly im not sure what literary techniques are suitable to use for songs or how I could use them. For example how would the structure of the song (eg Intro Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus) have any kind of meaning for belonging? plus songs tend to be very general in terms of their purpose and the audience so im not sure how im supposed to write nicely about this.

My teacher never really explained this... if you have any ideas please help.
thanks

Klutsov

HSC
You are required to identify and describe the effect of the musical techniques in a song. There should be an extensive list of these techniques in the resource section.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My advice is leave out the musical side of things that being the melody, instruments etc. Focus on the lyrics/english techniques.. so treat it like a poem
I disagree. The musical side of things is what makes the song different from a poem. If you ignore the compositional aspect of a song, it's losing half the song. You wouldn't use half a poem, so why lose half the song?

But I agree with the rest of your post.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I hate it how they combine music techniques with english... When there's a big change that the student has no knowlege of musical techniques (year 7-8 music is useless)... And those techniques are often not easy to get your head around if you've never dealt with them.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Noone's forcing you to choose a song as a related texts. In fact most teachers recommend students NOT to touch songs because of this.

chuha

HSC
N/A
I agree with Aerath.
The dilemna your having is the reason why teachers reccomend
you NOT to choose a song as a related text. You're much better off
choosing a poem, therefore you only have to talk about the content and
structure. Whereas in a song you have to talk about both those things as
well as the musical content and techniques-Cuz thats what makes the song a song!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)