need help (1 Viewer)

wgy182

HSC
hey guys,
Can anyone provide me with a good answer to this question?

"Describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced, and how transuranic elements
are produced
." (4 marks)

Aren't commercial radioisotope and transuranic elements both produced in nuclear reactors and particle accelerators?

Thanks peoples

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
hey guys,
Can anyone provide me with a good answer to this question?

"Describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced, and how transuranic elements
are produced
." (4 marks)

Aren't commercial radioisotope and transuranic elements both produced in nuclear reactors and particle accelerators?

Thanks peoples
Yeah that's exactly right. You be like" Commercial radioisotopes and transuranic elements are produced by the same processes: neutron bombardment (in nuclear reactor) and particle acceleration (cyclotron for commercial radioisotopes). Explain both processes, provide equations for both processes and ez 4 marks

QZP

HSC
Yeah both of you guys missed the whole point of "transuranic"

QZP

HSC
You need to also highlight in your answer how to specifically produce transuranic elements (note that Z = 93,94,95 have a different method of production than Z = 96+)

HSC
Transuranic elements are elements with atomic numbers greater than 92 and occur beyond Uranium in the periodic table. Elements with atomic numbers 93-95 are produced in nuclear reactors where the target is bombarded with neutrons. Elements with atomic numbers beyond 95 are produced by accelerating a relatively small nucleus in a charged particle accelerator to combine with a heavy nucleus. Commercial radioisotopes such as Cobalt-60 are produced in nuclear reactors (insert equation). The reason for the production of Cobalt-60 is because of its wide use in hospitals as a sterilizer since the use of heat to clean instruments damages it. Cobalt-60 is used to prevent spoilage in food and prevent microbial growth. Cobalt-60 is also used to detect cracks and flaws in the wings of planes because of its ability to penetrate metal.

1 mark - Defining transuranic (i think)
1 mark - Explaining how transuranic elements are produced
1 mark - explaining how a commercial radioisotope is formed with a named example
1 mark - Giving examples for why it is produced/equation.

That's what i think.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah both of you guys missed the whole point of "transuranic"
You need to also highlight in your answer how to specifically produce transuranic elements (note that Z = 93,94,95 have a different method of production than Z = 96+)
Keep in mind that for transuranic you can have something like:

So you have to factor for this into it. That's how many transuranic isotopes are made.

HSC
N/A
Transuranic elements are elements with atomic numbers greater than 92 and occur beyond Uranium in the periodic table. Elements with atomic numbers 93-95 are produced in nuclear reactors where the target is bombarded with neutrons. Elements with atomic numbers beyond 95 are produced by accelerating a relatively small nucleus in a charged particle accelerator to combine with a heavy nucleus. Commercial radioisotopes such as Cobalt-60 are produced in nuclear reactors (insert equation). The reason for the production of Cobalt-60 is because of its wide use in hospitals as a sterilizer since the use of heat to clean instruments damages it. Cobalt-60 is used to prevent spoilage in food and prevent microbial growth. Cobalt-60 is also used to detect cracks and flaws in the wings of planes because of its ability to penetrate metal.

1 mark - Defining transuranic (i think)
1 mark - Explaining how transuranic elements are produced
1 mark - explaining how a commercial radioisotope is formed with a named example
1 mark - Giving examples for why it is produced/equation.

That's what i think.
You forgot to mention that transuranic elements are man-made, or artificial. That would probably lose you marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)