need some advice (1 Viewer)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Have a break. You can start studying when you actually begin learning the subjects in year 11.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
fucking hell, i wish i could just bum around these holidays

seriously, stop being so precocious and appreciate the wonderful gift you've been given in a work free holiday

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
i will echo what every1 else has said in this thread this is your last fun holidays, next yr this time you will be in yr12- so just frolick gayly in the meadows or whatever young ppl like yourself do these days ;)

Scanorama

HSC
Year 11 is honeymoon comapre to year 12. Mate enjoy your holiday while it lasts. Next year this time, you are probably studying heaps for the year 12. It doesnt effect your HSC at all even if you fail every single subjects in year 11. Only Year 12 that matters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The majority is ALWAYS correct, after all.

tensai

HSC
Nasr. said:
K so i'm in yr 10 and ive finished everything and the summer holidays is coming up and i would like to try to study a bit to prepare for yr 11 is that a good idea and if so do you know were to start like sylabus ir something if so plz reply
My advice is to study english and maths. For english, get familiar with how to explain the techniques composers, very very important. Also practice bullshiting about human nature cuz the english syllabus is full of tat crap: "over time, political system, social attitude change etc. but human nature changes very little which is why bla bla book is still valued today"........

For maths, prepare urself by doing questions from Cambridge, cuz Yr 11 maths is much much much much harder than junior maths!!! Before Yr 11 i usually get 90%+ in exams no problem.......but my first 3u assessment in Yr 11 was a nightmare, i barely passed

tensai

HSC
Sphyx said:
regarding chem....

i say if you do the sciences, do em all.

bio is applied chem
chem is applied phys
phys is applied maths

so basically they are all interelated, with maths being the mother of them all.

I gotta so disagree with you..............Science is got nothing to do with maths (well the most part of it) The BOS has "demathstised" sciences and made them very english orientated courses. How well u do depends on how well u communicate and express urself........80% of the science papers is "how" "why" "explain" "evaluate"......shits like these

HSC
N/A
tensai said:
My advice is to study english and maths. For english, get familiar with how to explain the techniques composers, very very important. Also practice bullshiting about human nature cuz the english syllabus is full of tat crap: "over time, political system, social attitude change etc. but human nature changes very little which is why bla bla book is still valued today"........

For maths, prepare urself by doing questions from Cambridge, cuz Yr 11 maths is much much much much harder than junior maths!!! Before Yr 11 i usually get 90%+ in exams no problem.......but my first 3u assessment in Yr 11 was a nightmare, i barely passed
Question: How can one teach oneself to do things one has never done before??!?!

I think that for subjects like maths, you CAN work ahead, particularly if you have a tutor. However, I think it's a plain ridiculous idea to practice teaching yourself how to critique your own essays. Yr 11 is like boot camp - it's unlike anything you've ever done before.

In dance, "teaching yourself" is considered dangerous because if you do the wrong thing with no-one to correct you, you run the risk of injuring yourself, or creating a technical hitch that can be difficult to correct later on. For subject like english, you might be practicing the wrong thing for an entire month. And THEN, you have to go through the drama of "correcting" whatever you've stuffed up, after having been doing it for ages.

Just wait till Yr 11 starts... it's not worth all the risks. You've never done it before, you have no idea what you're getting into. If you don't get taught it properly the first time, it's going to mess with your head the second time someone tries to explain it to you.

tensai

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Question: How can one teach oneself to do things one has never done before??!?!

I think that for subjects like maths, you CAN work ahead, particularly if you have a tutor. However, I think it's a plain ridiculous idea to practice teaching yourself how to critique your own essays.

OMFG! Dun u juz hate ppl who jump to conclusions? I neva suggested anyone to practice teaching himself'herself how to critique their own essay. I do agree with u it's a ridiculous idea tho.........

Actually during year 12, the thought of learning how to mark essays did come across my mind. Becuz to get good marks in english, u got to know wot teachers want when they are marking, so juz thought it might help...

HSC
N/A
Quote:

"For english, get familiar with how to explain the techniques composers, very very important. "

Considering that they're in Yr 10, and have never had to work with techniques like you do in Yr 11 before, how do you think they're going to learn?!?!?!!! And for the record, the essay thing was an example.

I was critiquing other people's english essays during Yr 12 as well (and my friends critiqued mine). However, there's a huge difference between "improving" and "teaching yourself". After doing Yr 12, we're so familiar with the concept of "trying to understand something more", but I ask you - have you really forgotten the "What the hell is this?!?!" feeling you got in your first week of Yr 11 english classes?!

tensai

HSC
Dun noe wot school u go to mate but we did learn techniques at the end of Year 10.....they even ask for a bit of it in the SC. Btw this is advice for Nasr, so dun noe why u r getting so excited, i didnt waste my time here trying to stuff someone up, it's up to Nasr..........

tensai

HSC
I'm just providing advice based on wot worked for me. The result is there to see, english wasnt my first language and in Yr 10 i was like around 80th in the grade. My Year 11 end of year rank was 8th! There is no need for u to jump out and criticise everything i say, its got nufing to do wif u get over it....

(i'm juz getting bored...lol)

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
whoever mentioned the year 11 maths thing is right. well if you are doing maths advanced and were already doing the advanced course in year 10, you should be able to cope easily with it.
however, extension maths is a whole different ballpark. you can't just cruuise through it.

what i have always thought is that maths advanced is applying the formulaes to questions. and the maths extension is all about applying, manipulating and being lucky at the same time.

stainmepink

HSC
if ur consistently good at maths, then you'll be fine for 4u. i mean good as in good compared to the people at ur school.

Nasr.

HSC
Thanks for the replies but i have sum questions dos yr 11 start before or after every1 else because i wanna change skools and i haven't enroled in or other skool yet and im still decidin which to go 2 and wat maths book should i get because i dont know which one would you recoomend or are the best and is their dat much of a difference between 2 unit and 3 unit

Nasr.

HSC
Thanks for the replies but i have sum questions dos yr 11 start before or after every1 else because i wanna change skools and i haven't enroled in or other skool yet and im still decidin which to go 2 and wat maths book should i get because i dont know which one would you recoomend or are the best and is their dat much of a difference between 2 unit and 3 unit

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Nasr. said:
K so i'm in yr 10 and ive finished everything and the summer holidays is coming up and i would like to try to study a bit to prepare for yr 11 is that a good idea and if so do you know were to start like sylabus ir something if so plz reply

u can start looking at prelim work...like the libraray might have some..im not sure if they do....or u can but the books from dymocks and start looking at the work..at least ull understand it when u start skool.....

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Nasr. said:

do 3unit in yr 11.........if its too hard or u hate it and it takes up too much of ur time (like in my case)......drop it in yr 12.... and then u wouldve already done all the 2unit work...so in yr 12 ull just be doing the same work all ova again and ull know it like the back of ur hand..........

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
tensai said:
Sphyx said:
regarding chem....

i say if you do the sciences, do em all.

bio is applied chem
chem is applied phys
phys is applied maths

so basically they are all interelated, with maths being the mother of them all.

I gotta so disagree with you..............Science is got nothing to do with maths (well the most part of it) The BOS has "demathstised" sciences and made them very english orientated courses. How well u do depends on how well u communicate and express urself........80% of the science papers is "how" "why" "explain" "evaluate"......shits like these

yeh true. if you look only at the BOS syllabus, i guess the scientific process has become more the focus, of physics especially. but i still think that at the pure actual scientific level they are related.

and question. who the hell is the idiot who put the countdown to the HSC on every page? grrr.

Nasr.

HSC
Nasr. said:

Why didn't i think of that that a smart idea.

wrong quote the right quote is : joujou 84 do 3unit in yr 11.........if its too hard or u hate it and it takes up too much of ur time (like in my case)......drop it in yr 12.... and then u wouldve already done all the 2unit work...so in yr 12 ull just be doing the same work all ova again and ull know it like the back of ur hand.....................................

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)