Need your opinions please! (2 Viewers)

HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:
Ireland ppl speak irish or gaelic don't they? lol so that would be different. Plus Seamus Finigen from Harry Potter comes from there lol Ohhh man if only i could be an exchange student at Hogwarts! lol

n e way... i think your absolutely right but the countries i want to go to like finland, norway etc most subjects arn't taught in english! thats going to be a major hurdle for me...and i don't have long to learn it before hand if i want to go next year.

The language thing is killing me because I dont mind learning the language but if i were to go and do some subjects in a diff language (to even get in u'de have to have done/or be doing that language at ur home uni or at the country uni as a pre requisite to even get into some of the subjects... hence my degree will take longer to do!

it'll frustrate me to no end not being able to speak the native language and mexico is an awsome option i totally agree with everyone but spanish to me isn't really a language i find exotic or foreign coz tagalog sounds a lot like it, Germany is awsome!!they have such beautiful universities! I was drooling over their buildings! but everytime i think of germany i think of concentration camps and the like and that movie Hostel :s

France (I would LOVEEEE to go to france!!) Je'mappelle Anne! (sp?) lol but its soooo out of my budget! Bloody Europe is friggen expensive!

If i could go anywhere I wanted without having to worry about financial issues it would be France, Norway and those type of countries. Definately Western Europe! Oh well some day!

Awww im soo confused... to develop and get the most out of a student exchange even though my degree takes longer to do or goto canada (namely York University) and experience "Australia in a different accent" lol i love that phwar.

Guys i think i've made up my mind on Canada Toronto- i have family there and its only an hours flight away from New York, hrrmm...

But i still want to know what u guys think, where do u guys want to go for exchange?
France seemed pretty overrated when I went there... (explaination - my mother is addicted to travel.) And the accomodation is every bit as stingy as you have heard it is. Seriously though. I have a feeling it can be really good if you "go to the right places" though...?

If I went on exchange, personally I'd go to Canada because as previously mentioned, I suck at languages - even english occasionally :p Additionally, it's "safer" if anything should happen to me over there - we got our passports stolen on the train in Rome a few years back (Some guy reached into mum's bag and stole them - so why weren't they in the hotel safe? Because mum thought they'd be stolen if they were there. Go figure.) and it was a nightmare trying to get replacements... made even worse by the fact it was so hard to communicate with people. I am sure that if you are actually a relatively fluent speaker it is ok, but if not there can be issues. We ended up having to wait until we were in another non-english-speaking country before we actually got proper passport replacements :S

So yeah... english speaking countries for me unless I have a translator handy ;)

*hopeful*

HSC
clairegirl said:
hehe TACOS that is true, when i make tacos at home i have it with chicken instead of minced beef lol

coz everyone time i think of taco i think of that lil chiwawa dog doign the taco bell ad n it makes me sad coz i feel like im eating the poor thing :(
Minced beef does not = chiwawa/howeva u spell it dog meat !! lol wtf ?

if i were u i'd go to the uk cuz its common knowledge that thats where the hottest curry guys r...but if thats not ur thing :p then go 2 canada, it'd b different from here but not so that u would have all d problems associated with goin 2 a really foreign place....plus apparently theres really hot curry'z there as well :p hehe i think i should come with u

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
glitterfairy said:
(Some guy reached into mum's bag and stole them
:confused: what the hell would someone want with your passports? bag-snatching, reaching in and stealing a wallet, camera, anything else, is expected, but passports?

HSC
N/A
Passports as a form of identification/identity :S It's a big blackmarket business :S

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
:eek: big blackmarket business? i would carry my passport on me (under clothes) but only because of the possibilty of bag-snatching, i would never have known people intended to steal passports themselves - you learn something new every day.

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
:eek: big blackmarket business? i would carry my passport on me (under clothes) but only because of the possibilty of bag-snatching, i would never have known people intended to steal passports themselves - you learn something new every day.
You know how there's a whole illegal industry dedicated to creating fake identities/official looking-forms? Well, just think how much easier it is to steal passport/driver's license than it is to make one of your own :p

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Just an aside on that - Australian passports are usually quite ok - the blackmarket doesn't like them as Australian passports are too hard to forge.

If you have a Malaysian passport for example though, then watch out - they can retail for upwards of US$50,000 - more if you have an Australian PR stuck to it - and not only that, the Malaysians make it a nightmare for you to try and get the passport back.

Other Asian countries are similar- basically any passport which is easier to forge is worth more.

HSC
N/A
Yeah. Hence why I now have an Aussie rather than Malaysian passport now ;) And it was a real freakin' nightmare to get the replacement passport, even though we have officially-recognised photocopies of the original passports with us, and copies of birth certificate and student ID and everything...!!!!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hehe, yeah love travelling, too bad it costs too much haha, probably why im so poor :(

But i recommend that the experience is 10x worth the cash you pay, definitely opened my mind up travelling around :)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i would go Canada, its an awesome place and ive had a blast over here, plus everyone loves the aussie accent :D ive only got a month left. time has gone by very quick, but i think just going on exchange itself is an awesome experience and when it comes to deciding on what counrty or uni to go to, it all depends if their units match up with the units u would be doing at MQ. i wanted to go Denmark but couldnt match the units, now looking at going for a short exchange next yr (if i save the money!!!)

good luck with the decision

X

xeuyrawp

fornstar said:
i would go Canada, its an awesome place and ive had a blast over here, plus everyone loves the aussie accent :D ive only got a month left. time has gone by very quick, but i think just going on exchange itself is an awesome experience and when it comes to deciding on what counrty or uni to go to, it all depends if their units match up with the units u would be doing at MQ. i wanted to go Denmark but couldnt match the units, now looking at going for a short exchange next yr (if i save the money!!!)

good luck with the decision
I totally forgot you were over there.

How's it going, long time no chat! :D

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i've decided to goto mexico :D

University Tec De Monterrey :D:D:D

Why? for those of that are interested?

• You can get up to 7 grand!! if i choose to goto mexico from uni and the govt
  • I really do want to learn another language
  • I'll have more money to travel to America and Canada as initially planned :D
  • I'll be able to "disapear" for 7 months which is what i wanted in the first place
  • I won't be experiencing "australia in a different accent!"
  • Canada is too cold
  • Mexico is just like australia (climate wise) except abit cooler :) their tops is like 32 celcius in the summer
  • I'll be going in Mexico's Fall period (15-25 degrees) that is the ultimate weather for ANYTHING
  • Mum says that a lot of ppl speak Spanish in the Philippines so she's happy that i'm doing something related to my own culture *yerrr im doing it cos ov that :\!*
  • you get to volunteer and help out with the poorer areas of mexico (there's this cool volunteer program run thru the uni)
  • IT'S A MILLION TIMES CHEAPER THAN AUSTRALIA/AMERICA/CANADA

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
great choice, pasara's un bueno tiempo (does anyone know spanish? does that make any sense?)

you'll have a fantastic time :D

Last edited:

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
lol anne sounds great
=)
lol i was wondering why you randomly message going "IM GOING to mexico"
and i was lost :?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hehe, so you are a MexiCAN :p

Have fun gringo, and tell the amigos I want my taco bell :(

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Nice choice with Mexico, I think it would be great! I think the 7 grand is because of the poor standard of living and high violence/crime/rape/other attractive things.

Back to your origial question because I like to procrastinate:

If there was no restrictions, I'd go to Europe - either Russia or Italy I think... Possibly Germany, maybe France. But I have a love for the Russian accents, history, ballet and like the idea of snow.

But then, I'd adore South America for the history and the crazy Sharman doctors and dangerous, uncompleted surgery where they affix a donkey's head to your arm.

I have no interest in the UK at all. Nada.

Realistically, I'd go to Canada because of the safety aspect, the already knowing English (always helps!), the cheapness (or equally-cheap as here) and you can travel to NYC just to see the ball drop on NYE! :D

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
MaryJane said:
because of the poor standard of living and high violence/crime/rape/other attractive things.
Gee MJ thanks for that :\ :(

X

xeuyrawp

clairegirl said:
i've decided to goto mexico :D

University Tec De Monterrey :D:D:D

Why? for those of that are interested?
1 You can get up to 7 grand!! if i choose to goto mexico from uni and the govt
2 I really do want to learn another language
3 I'll have more money to travel to America and Canada as initially planned :D
4 I'll be able to "disapear" for 7 months which is what i wanted in the first place 5 I won't be experiencing "australia in a different accent!"
6 Canada is too cold
7 Mexico is just like australia (climate wise) except abit cooler :) their tops is like 32 celcius in the summer
8 I'll be going in Mexico's Fall period (15-25 degrees) that is the ultimate weather for ANYTHING
9 Mum says that a lot of ppl speak Spanish in the Philippines so she's happy that i'm doing something related to my own culture *yerrr im doing it cos ov that :\!*
10 you get to volunteer and help out with the poorer areas of mexico (there's this cool volunteer program run thru the uni)
11 IT'S A MILLION TIMES CHEAPER THAN AUSTRALIA/AMERICA/CANADA
1 That would go a long way in Mexico...
2 Orsum!
3 How much spare time, around?
4 So it's from the start of Sem 1 to the end of Sem 2?
5 :D
6 That's what the fireplaces and deer-skinds are for!
7 I thought it was hot and humid (ie, perfect weather for sexy people)
9 It's fun to swear in, too (andala puto, carajo, el baliena, just to name a few)
11 Especially with your foreign doe-rei-mi!

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
1 That would go a long way in Mexico...
2 Orsum!
3 How much spare time, around?
4 So it's from the start of Sem 1 to the end of Sem 2?
5 :D
6 That's what the fireplaces and deer-skinds are for!
7 I thought it was hot and humid (ie, perfect weather for sexy people)
9 It's fun to swear in, too (andala puto, carajo, el baliena, just to name a few)
11 Especially with your foreign doe-rei-mi!
Hey matie :)

*Orsum?
*Well I'll probably leave just after my birthday :) so i can have a farewell good riddence to anne party before i leave, so i'll leave around aug 25th .. september until december is actually their first semester over there- thats 4 months.. then one month in america and one month in canada :) i'll do some stupid contiki tour when i goto cananda :)

So four months studying (aiming for 51 coz its a pass/fail system when i go over there, i don't have to aim high as it doesn't affect my GPA in aust only if i fail :D:D:D) and whilst doing their volunteer program and seeing the sights of mexico ;) Then spending one month in America just travelling and spending one month in Canada just travelling also :D

I'm going to work my ass off these holidays just to save up for it and take a some community spanish course before i leave, i've got 3 grand saved up so far, I'll need another 8 grand me thinks on top of the 7 grand the uni will give me, just to keep things comfortable :)

*9= lol so far my spanish vocab right now is

uno dos tres quartro sinko sez lol and puto and sombrero = oh the wonders i could do with that vocab

"one slut hat" or "two hat slut" ... brilliant! :d

Ooooh and another thing! the residences are soooo beautiful on campus, they have a pool right outside the front thats all swirvey n stuff! it looks like a resort, once i get photos i'll scan them in and show you! The campus is beautiful with their arches and fountains! Some of the buildings look like palaces! no lie! :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)