Neons - Illegal? (1 Viewer)

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
Hey I was wondering if it is legal or not to drive with neons under the car? I've heard that it is legal to have them installed, but not turned on whilst driving, as it is an offence to have any colour other than white, as it distracts/confuses drivers?
I've also heard that in Melbourne, they are allowed, as long as the source of light is not seen, ie you can see the glow, but not the actual neon tubing. Wonder if it's the same here?

7th Sign

HSC
It is illigal and the fine is around $100,

This has been covered a number of times...

EATAPIE

HSC
7th Sign said:
It is illigal and the fine is around $100,

This has been covered a number of times...
sorry, i haven't been searching the forums. one more thing, is it just the fine, or do u lose points as well?

7th Sign

HSC
Dont know you might loose points aswell, with the new laws in I think you can loose points for defects on your car and neons are classed a defect so I guess you will loose points also...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
This is what the RTA said when I emailed them about this back in January;

RTA said:
1/ In general , no lights must be fitted to a vehicle that would affect the operation or effectiveness of any mandatory lights certified to such vehicle.

2/ Any additional lights fitted to a vehicle must not show Red light to the front or White light to the rear.

3/ The vehicle must not be modified in such a way that it affects the safety of the vehicle's driver and passengers
or Other Drivers or Other Road Users.

If the subject lights affects any of the above, they would be considered contravening the requirements of the Regulation.

The NSW Police enforce the Regulations and even if the vehicle is stationary they may consider that the lights cause a distraction
to other road users.

I would suggest you also contact the Police regarding the fitment of these lights.

Regards
Alan Macdonald
RTA Technical Enquiries

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
If they're red or blue, they're definately illegal as you can get fined for impersonating a police officer.

EATAPIE

HSC
seremify007 said:
This is what the RTA said when I emailed them about this back in January;
thanks for the info.
so according to those rules, do you think I can put blue/aqua angel eyes on the headlights? Cos they're not red at front, and they're not really affecting safety of anyone. Besides, HID lights have blue tinges anyway. And I don't think that they look anything like police lights.
btw argonaut, I wasn't really interested on neons, seeing that I want an old beemer, but was just researching for a friend.
Neons on a beemer = totally rice = crap.

VSAcclaim

HSC
just on those HID lights, its to do with the power running through them, if the correct amount is run through them they glow white, if not enough they glow bluey, so u've got to check the amps/volts of your car first. generally concerning neons, if the cops dont like them they r a no-no, i hav heard of them being legal in some states, but still some officers disagree and will ping u for it (probly a canary for them not being installed safely enough, usual made up crud) so if u do have them make sure they r out of view and hav an internal switch for those times u have to be quick to switch em off.

7th Sign

HSC
oh yeah I must add neons in your car are fine...aslong as you cant see them from out side...some people think any where inside the car is fine but this is wrong you can still get defected if their on the front dash flashing...

EATAPIE

HSC
ok thanks.
anyway, think i'll have to settle with [EDIT:] white angel eyes then.

Last edited:

EATAPIE

HSC
damn, i meant *white* angel eyes. far out, can't type what i think...

Or maybe aqua angel eyes. aqua's not blue...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Definantly illegal.....

If you must install them then my advice is:

Install an internal (and easily/quickly accessible switch).
Never use them to impersonate a police officer.
Never have them on around police - I would suggest avoiding having them on anywhere on or within site of a road where there is alot of foot or vehicular travel.

White would be OK, aqua I would take similar precautions to blue - afterall an asshole police officer will rape you as hard for aqua as blue....

Last edited:

EATAPIE

HSC
i think i'll settle with white then. don't wanna get pulled over for some fine, and losing points, and then lose a couple more because of defects to car, which means i lose my whole p license...

Skeeta

HSC
:( i got fined for having the washer (spray water thingies) fitted with new washers that had blue lights on them

was a $75 fine methinks

i almost killed my brother who installed them and insisted they were legal

the cop was a prick too - i wasnt aware and i would have taken them off straghtaway

7th Sign

HSC
yeah probly go with some white neons under the car..but have a switch in your car...this would be the safe ish way of installing some neons...

I know they kill you hard for orange neons and green lol

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Ironically green and orange (especially orange) are colours not specifically banned so imagine what blue or red will do for your license....

7th Sign

HSC
loquasagacious said:
Ironically green and orange (especially orange) are colours not specifically banned so imagine what blue or red will do for your license....

I know a kid with a commonwhore who had orange neons lol still got defected..

I think in the end it kinds depends on the cop that defects you, you can get a real tight ass of a cop who is crazy with defects, Or you could get the nice cop who goes oh well just remove them this is just a nice warning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)