• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New Best Private School (1 Viewer)

Which is the better private school.. different options

• Cranbrook

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Scots

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Sydney Grammer

Votes: 79 43.6%
  • SCEGGS Darlinghurst/Redlands

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Ascham

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Kincoppal Rose Bay

• Kambala

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Newington

• Trinity

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Knox

Votes: 19 10.5%

• Total voters

hazza

Originally posted by gnrlies
what school is this?

As if youd go to a private school

What a waste of fucking money! lol

(im not out to bag the schools or the people out, just saying that in my opinion they are a waste of money considering that good marks come from students who are willing to put the effort in, not students who go to an expensive school)

Yeah cos it was totally our choice ....

gnrlies

HSC
Originally posted by hazza
Yeah cos it was totally our choice ....
Thats cool, but i guess to say that you get a better education at private schools is false which i guess is what im getting at.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by gnrlies
Thats cool, but i guess to say that you get a better education at private schools is false which i guess is what im getting at.
You are right in the sense that your education is what you make of it - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Going to a private school is like going to a river, there are far more opportunities available than in the public system. Whether you choose to take them is up to you.

krissy7685

i went to a private school and ive been at a public school and theres alot of prestige to it.. im not being a snob..but im glad i went to a private school..

and dont get the money part wrong.. alot of the parents that send their kids to private schools struggle to pay it off.. but there are many more oppurtunities.... i agree on that..
if someone asks u what school u went to and u say like 'forest high' their like oh yeh wheres that"

but if u say newington college or something liek that they'll say ahh what an excellent school or whatever..
but it could also be the other way around

and u hafta remember most private schools arent selective but they usually do extremely well.. not as well as ruse though...

but no DEFINATELY NOT a waste of money

hazza

Originally posted by kini mini
You are right in the sense that your education is what you make of it - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Going to a private school is like going to a river, there are far more opportunities available than in the public system. Whether you choose to take them is up to you.

Exactly.. But at a private school, if your coming low in the year group, against the whole state your still doing pretty well.

Mainly cos the standard of educatoin at a private school is higher and they make us do harder work. An example of this is with the school certificate. At my school bad was getting a band 4 for something, we only did maths, english and science. While at a public school, Ryde secondary collge used to be malvina high. Getting a band 4 was doing "really well".

But there are also some people who no matter what school they goto will struggle and also those people who can goto any school and come top in the year.

But a private school hosts so many better opportunities because we pay for the education, we pay to get a better education. Im sitting here now in one of the schools computer labs in the libary looking out onto a view of the harbor and in perfect view of the bridge. We payed for all of this really.. Brand new computers, Harbor views, and a teacher sitting around reading the soprts reslults online hehe...

I dont think there will ever be a best private school, or a best school. Its the students who really make the school and every year there is a different year group.

ps Barker sucks :D

Twintip

Originally posted by fatmuscle
St Aloyisius is the best school for Athletics.... hehehhe

CAS....
Without a doubt. ;)

(For those who don't know, I think they came second last this year, only beating Cranbrook).

gnrlies

HSC
i would have to disagree with the comments saying that there are more opportunities at private schools...

I would rather like to perhaps rephrase that there "might" be more motivation to do well at private schools.

With parents forking out thousands of dollars to send their kids to school, and the actual discipline policy at private schools, you would probably have more motivation to do well at such schools compared to a comprehensive state high school.

But assuming the motivation is there, the marks would be no different between a private and a non-private school.

When you think about it, what does a private school provide that a public school doesn't in terms of doing the HSC. The teachers are the same in qualifications, the resources are the same, and although class sizes "may" be smaller in private schools, i dont see this is such a huge issue (considering that 24 is max at govt schools and i dont see any real problem with it).

Thats what im saying. By the way, i am not bagging out private schools out, or saying that you shouldn't waste your time going to one, but all im saying is that in terms of academic success there is no advantage.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
Who gives a shit about what's the best private school. Prestige is nothing. Half of the students at those schools don't even get the best results and are really shitty and think they're all that or something... I totally prefer Baulkham Hills High and James Ruse. But on that list, I voted for Sydney Grammar cause they excel in the HSC. But on the other hand, they're also a selective school as well.

Last edited:

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
there is no best private school. public education is totally the way to go... teaches you life skills...

0Jade0

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Exactly MLC, Pymble Ladies College, Kings School, Tara, Loreto, Meriden, Tangara, Brigidine etc etc Youve put in ones that aren't that good and left out some pretty big ones.

And SCEGGS Redlands and SCECGS Darlinghirst are different people
ERM, Maybe someone has pointed this out before but.... Brigidine, unless there is some other brigido... it isnt private. It is a CEO School.
Also It is a shit school...and not a big one either....

Last edited:
HSC
starbaaa said:
there is no best private school. public education is totally the way to go... teaches you life skills...
Like how to roll your own joints and the best weapons to use in turf wars

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)