new english syllabus.. textbooks? (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
hey guys.

so new syllabus (new texts, and AOS) for 2009.

would there be study guides like there was for the last few years?

ie.

journeys, study guide, othello close study guide etc.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
When someone says study guide, I immediatley think of Excel. Don't get it though. Have turst in your teacher :)
I disagree - I would like to supplement my teachers knowledge with extra information form other people and merge it in to get a really good idea.

In saying that - I'm not buying the textbook - probably photocopy from the library, I'll go to Cabramatta library - they wont stop my photocopying there.

jellybelly59

HSC
the-derivative said:
I disagree - I would like to supplement my teachers knowledge with extra information form other people and merge it in to get a really good idea.

In saying that - I'm not buying the textbook - probably photocopy from the library, I'll go to Cabramatta library - they wont stop my photocopying there.
lol just tax all the notes from your tutoring teacher nathan :p

shaon0

HSC
ekoolish said:
Just use the basis of what your teacher says and manipulate it into your own thoughts.
we're not all as pro as Eric.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
ekoolish said:
Just use the basis of what your teacher says and manipulate it into your own thoughts.
That is, actually, really good advice.

At least for in-school assessments :) Study guides would help, but not a great deal in my view.

External exams are a whole new issue because for that, reusing what your teachers say may be dangerous (esp. if more than one other person in your school does so, leading to theses lacking in insight as perceived by the HSC marker for your marking centre). And needless to say, study guides would be even more detrimental (due to its widespread availability) in terms of fashioning a unique take on the area of study and the question given.

re: shaon0, I think he was just trying to help. And his advice, as i have stated, should be useful for most people.

shaon0

HSC
Bobness said:
That is, actually, really good advice.

At least for in-school assessments :) Study guides would help, but not a great deal in my view.

External exams are a whole new issue because for that, reusing what your teachers say may be dangerous (esp. if more than one other person in your school does so, leading to theses lacking in insight as perceived by the HSC marker for your marking centre). And needless to say, study guides would be even more detrimental (due to its widespread availability) in terms of fashioning a unique take on the area of study and the question given.

re: shaon0, I think he was just trying to help. And his advice, as i have stated, should be useful for most people.
it was a joke.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well, u cud just buy the specific study guides on ur texts,
e.g. a study guide on frankenstein or whatever

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
that what im saying...

but what im saying is is it available?

or is this the year when all the writers write it all down, and it'll be available for next year's HSC

since we're pretty much the guinea pigs for the new syllabus.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Nah, I never merge anything I learn from study guides with what my teacher says. Basically, at my school, most people feel that you have to think one way with English and that's the way the teacher thinks.

LOL! Good idea with the photocopying :p
Well if you base your answer on what the teacher thinks - it'll be easier to prove your point. But then again - you could be regurgitating and it could sound really bad - so i wouldn't do it unless you agree with what your teacher is saying (which is actually most of the time for me).

As for the photocopying - thank's yvonne. Asian Library = Asian techniques = Plagarism and illegal photocopying =]

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I have an amazing English teacher, she is all the textbooks and study guides I need.
Seriously I can not imagine a better or harder working teacher than her.
My maths teacher on the other hand......

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking of getting study guides. I need all the help I can get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)