• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

new HECS system (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i was just wondering if the new hecs system will affect me if i decide to trasnfer courses in 2005. or does it only affect those new uni students in 2005?

any anyone help me out?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
It will affect you if you transfer, but not if you stick with the same course....

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
are you sure about that?

cuz i'm at usyd now and just finished my first year. i got an offer from macq.

my dream course is to do combined business and info tech. and since i didn't get into it this year, i was hoping to trasnfer again next year.

i got BIT at macq and macq's internal trasnfer policy is really easy so after first semester i can trasnfer into BBA/BIT with no hecs penalities. but the thing is i don't really want to go to macq cuz its too far for me. i'd rather stay at usyd and hope to trasnfer into commerce/science in 2005.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i am not sure. people who defer, if they even do one unit this year, they will still b eunder old hecs. who knows

rubylotus11

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there is a possibility that you'll come under the new HECS scheme if you're changing courses but I'd ask the University or someone else that knows more.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Changing courses (or adding another one second year so you're doing a double degree) entails starting a totally new course, of which you will have to pay the applicable hecs fees of that time. They don't care when you started uni, its when you started that particular course.....

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh i see..
thanks ms 12...

crap.... so what am i to do now..

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Its not going to go up by that much. Just defer your HECS and you'll be the same as the thousands of others that start uni under the changes next year.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
well it really depends on the uni. but chances are that our hecs contributions will increase except in some instances. ie. like macq has abolished all hecs fee from some of its advanced science units so studying in those units doesn't cost a thing.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
damn that sucks
with hecs.. is it like taking out a mortgage or something?
u have to pay back more than u would if u paid it all outright?
or does hecs have no interest..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
no interest. but the catch is if you pay it outright you get a 25% discount. so in a way it does have interest.

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
darn, when i start uni next year - i'll have to hand out extra 500 bucks - there goes 500 bucks :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)