New Library!! (1 Viewer)

Politic

HSC
N/A
jumping into MQ thread. Most uni's have problems with getting a spot in a library...although it can really depend on which library you are trying to find a spot in, and whether you need a computer or a powerpoint. eg. new USYD Law library - i don't even bother going to anymore - unless you get there at 8 or 9am there's no way you'll get any kind of seat (powerpoint or not). My sister had to sit on the floor to read reserve books the other day... law library went with looking 'cool' rather than practical...no where near enough seats/tables, especially considering the large numbers of non-law students that go there :( I'm fine with other faculties using the library, but when there isn't enough room for law students when they need to read law books that are in reserve (ie can't be borrowed), that is extremely frustrating.

Saying that, at Fisher (arts/general library) you can generally find a spot to sit as long as you are not being picky regarding powerpoints... (it is being redeveloped this year to have more powerpoints, but i doubt it will equal one per chair).
Wow. Yeah I agree that practicality should be given priority over "looking pretty".

sean1990

HSC
so much negativity.

The new library is far better than the old one.

Best thing about the new library is the constant security guards going round and leaving notes on peoples unoccupied possessions with a 15 minute warning. If they come back around in 15 minutes, they take your stuff to reception so somebody else can use the space.

This 'technology' makes the new library the best in the country, if not the world.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
so much negativity.

Best thing about the new library is the constant security guards going round and leaving notes on peoples unoccupied possessions with a 15 minute warning. If they come back around in 15 minutes, they take your stuff to reception so somebody else can use the space.

This 'technology' makes the new library the best in the country, if not the world.
Really? I haven't seen that happen, lol you should video it and upload online so we can see it :)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
To be honest I'd much prefer studying outside anyway.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
so much negativity.

That doesn't happen, they put the notes down and never come back, it's a joke. It's all very well and good to have plenty of computers and robots bringing you your books, but when i have to wait almost two hours to get a book out of automated retrieval (despite being told it should only take half an hour at the most) and can't find a single quiet spot to study, let alone a spot actually suitable for study, then imo the library isn't functioning particularly well as a library.

If they:
- Turned more of the lounges into study spots
- Made some actual quiet areas
- Got some air conditioning going on the upper floors
- Got the AR system working the way they say it's supposed to
- Actually enforced the '15 minute warnings'

Then i would be a lot happier about it.

X

xeuyrawp

That doesn't happen, they put the notes down and never come back, it's a joke. It's all very well and good to have plenty of computers and robots bringing you your books, but when i have to wait almost two hours to get a book out of automated retrieval (despite being told it should only take half an hour at the most) and can't find a single quiet spot to study, let alone a spot actually suitable for study, then imo the library isn't functioning particularly well as a library.

If they:
- Turned more of the lounges into study spots
- Made some actual quiet areas
- Got some air conditioning going on the upper floors
- Got the AR system working the way they say it's supposed to
- Actually enforced the '15 minute warnings'

Then i would be a lot happier about it.
Have you complained to the librarians? I'd honestly put a complaint in...

Politic

HSC
N/A
Have you complained to the librarians? I'd honestly put a complaint in...
+1

After all this complaining here you better have complained elsewhere i.e. to Mac Uni itself, otherwise you're looking pretty stupid here...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
+1

After all this complaining here you better have complained elsewhere i.e. to Mac Uni itself, otherwise you're looking pretty stupid here...
Your attitude is unnecessary.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
To every student with criticisms of the new library - read the article on pages 16 and 17 of the current edition of Grapeshot. LOL someone should show the article to the people at the library :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
haha, i saw that, summed up most of the issues quite nicely. I'm assuming that plenty of people have given their suggestions so far, really hoping MQ actually pays attention and acts on it.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
haha, i saw that, summed up most of the issues quite nicely. I'm assuming that plenty of people have given their suggestions so far, really hoping MQ actually pays attention and acts on it.
I'm surprised at how passionate people are about criticising the new library :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I guess it could be because of much it was built up. I was personally really excited about all the stats they brought out for study spaces/seating, thought i'd never have to struggle to find a desk again. But it seems that their idea of 'study space' must have been very different to mine and now i feel like there is actually less than before; it's a massive let down.

keithwf

HSC
N/A
they say the no of seats was doubled but everyone knows that most of the time it's impossible to find a spot (not to mention there's literrlly no quiet area)...it was hard right from the first few weeks...uhmmm im just wondering what happens at the end of the semester :D

PS: I've been to a few uni libs in Sydney and most impressed with Uni of Western Sydney! :)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
PS: I've been to a few uni libs in Sydney and most impressed with Uni of Western Sydney! :)
Were you impressed by the number of books and resources or the size and number of seats?

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
they say the no of seats was doubled but everyone knows that most of the time it's impossible to find a spot (not to mention there's literrlly no quiet area)...it was hard right from the first few weeks...uhmmm im just wondering what happens at the end of the semester :D
well i went to the library at 9am this week and there were more than plenty of spots.. but then i've never really been to the library during its peak hours so i guess spots fill up pretty quickly. i decided not to study in there anyway because i feel like the environment isn't as conductive to learning as the old library... its foolish of them to not open up the old library as study spaces.

keithwf

HSC
N/A
Were you impressed by the number of books and resources or the size and number of seats?
Unfortunately none of them haha
its really cool and very conductive to studying and relaxing each

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)